Question Problem: My freewheel ain't spinning so freely

Anybody want to try to Click and Clack this problem with me?

Went for a couple a muddy and wet rides last weekend, after which I washed, degreased, and lubed my bike. On a ride yesterday though, I found that my freewheel isn't spinning fluidly at lower speeds. For example, I can't really spin my cranks backwards using my hands because the freewheel stalls the cassette and my chain goes all slack on top. Or, when I slow down and stop pedaling, the freewheel repeatedly stalls, the chain pulls my rear derailleur, and then the freewheel unstalls, and my rear derailleur springs back to its natural position.

Is this an easy fix? Would I remove the cassette and perhaps squirt some lube/WD-40 around the freewheel?

Assume that I (a) don't know shit about shit but would like to learn more so that I don't have to go to a bike shop everytime there's a problem with my bike; and (b) have access to an assortment of bike tools at a local bike repair coop; but that (c) I am willing to pay a bike shop to fix my shit if it's too much hassle.

Never use wd 40 on anything on a bike. It's not lube.

What kind of hub is it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Never use wd 40 on anything on a bike. It's not lube.

What kind of hub is it?
    It's a no-name "ALLOY SEALED BEARING, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE, 32H." (I have an Iron Horse 6 Point 6; feel free to chastise me for purchasing a bike from an apprarently morally and financially bankrupt company.)

It's probably just a generic hub. Made by formula or something.

If you've got any mechanical aptitude whatsoever you can pretty easily figure out how to take it apart to clean and regrease it. You'll need to pull the cassette off though....for that you'll need two specific tools. Still should be cheaper than what a bike shop would charge you.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-07-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Had a similar issue with a Crossmax wheel a few years back. Turned out to be a broken pawl in the hub. Fairly easy fix, but happened enough to dump the wheels.

the inside of the freehub, where the pawls and splines are is probably mucked up. I have mavic crossmax wheels and cleaning the pawls after muddy rides has become the norm.

you shouldn't need any special tools, and you can keep the casette on the shell of the freehub. If it's cheap you most likely use two wrenches in opposition until you can slide the cassette (and freehub body) off. You don't need a lockring tool and chain whip b/c you won't be taking the cassette off of the shell of the freehuh.

Then clean it all, take out the pawls (you'll see) and clean them. If there are washers between bushings make sure you put them back (or it really wont turn). Put it all back together. Might take you 30 minutes the first time but will take you 10 minutes after that.

As far as I know, DONT USE GREASE in the pawls and splines...it gets too thick and hot in there for grease. I use a few quick sprays of T-9 right before i put it all back together.

Then again, I'm a douchebag that doesn't know shit about bikes...so take my advice for what it's worth. I just have this problem regularly. woo and the others above know alot more than I.

remove cassette,

remove free hub body

clean/grease/lube/everything/put back together

Many thanks, all.