TR: Failed on Peak 2

Anthony: AKA, the A-Train and I made some very large plans for today, they were so big, i couldn't even begin to describe them. The start of our plan was to start early and ski Peak 1, then pretty much just work our way south....

I got my shift covered the night before to ensure a good nights rest, woke up to the alarm clock at a cool 4:28 AM. I got on the phone and called Anthony, and his response was, "we really doing this?"

Got to Miner's Creek road in Frisco at 5:30, and by 5:40 we were off in the dark...

Anthony is excited

me, not so much

I really don't like walking in shoes, with skis and boots on my back, not that sweet. When i got in my car earlier it was 39 degrees out, i wasn't super confident on a hard freeze overnight. So i was kinda skeptical of what the day would bring.

Our first view of Peak 1

We rallied up the Miners Creek road and we finally got to a point where we could start skinning

Anthony workin his skins

Once we were on the skins, our progress quickened. We dropped down into a drainage and climbed another ridge, now it was time to go up... We were making pretty good time and the pack felt as if had a decent freeze. So our plan was to pick our way up and see what the snow felt like.

Cloud level was super low and we didn't have much for vis. Once we got to a point where we could see what was going on we realized our mistake....

This was the view to the north, and it wasn't Mt. Royal, it was Peak 1, so that means we were on the East ridge line of Peak 2

South Face of Peak 1

North East face of Peak 3

At this point, the clouds were breaking up giving us the vis, but, it was heating up real quick. So, we didn't think we had a chance at the summit, ripped them and skied a nice little shot to the shoulder where we looked for another line.

The A-train on the first shot

Looking up our first line

May pow and loving it

I was not expecting much, but there was close to a foot and a half of fresh waiting for us, but it was getting heavier by the minute

Round 2

Fun couple of turns

Pretty fun day, run out sucked balls with the manky snow, found some rocks to jong off of... Good day all and all.

On the out

Good times had by all
    is this thing on?

Doesn't look like a fail at all... probably better that you got your turns while the snow was still good.

yea, i guess it wasn't a fail at all. Skiing pow is never that bad. Oh, yea, happy Cinco de Mayo
    is this thing on?

Peak 1 and 2 are both ellusive little bitches. Way to make the best of it!

hell yeah man, no fail. technically isn't it called ten mile peak?

Good work. Counting t-shirts and post cards is ruining my spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Peak 1 and 2 are both ellusive little bitches. Way to make the best of it!
    I've got to agree with that...still haven't been to the top of either.

Thanks for the pics.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Nice work Joe. Peak 3 looks pretty good still too. Have to get over that way sometime soon.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

no fail in my book.... job well done!!!

Looks wintery and white up there. Where's the dirt layer?

^^Just down the road? Here is a pic of my Mt. Democrat Fail this past Saturday. Really dirty approach. Tried to get up the thing with only an overnight to acclimate and while suffering the tail end of a bad cold that is still making me hack my lungs out. Made it to about 1000 feet below the summit before I huffed out. Too bad since my legs were still strong. It was incredibly hard for me to turn around but I knew I had too. Whoever the mangs were that loaned my buddy a transceiver after he forgot his big thanks. The mountain owned me this time but I will be back.

And sorry for the partial hijack. Sweet TR. Fail is a funny word when you embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Looks wintery and white up there. Where's the dirt layer?
    sorry for the bad photo, but the dirt layers are still there

is this thing on?

how do you "jerk off newbie gaper" off a rock? cool use of tgr language though...

been thinking about hitting peak 1 this spring, nice beta and stoke...i wouldn't call that a fail at all, looks like you had a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    been thinking about hitting peak 1 this spring, nice beta and stoke...i wouldn't call that a fail at all, looks like you had a great day.
    we are thinking about maybe hitting it up on friday.... we'll see
    is this thing on?