Yak Mag Brain Trust

Lead me in thy infinite wisdom.

If you were going to have 30 days to kayak wherever you wanted starting around mid July where would you go?

I want to hear all your suggestions but here is the deal on my end:

I'm on a bike tour all summer but we're debating making it into a bike tour to vancouver then turning around finding somewhere to buy a boat/paddle and running rivers the rest of the summer.

We have trailers on our bikes and we'll make some way of hauling boats or getting rides, but obviously the closer the river the better.

I'm a class 3 boater with a few 4's under my belt and want to be doing 4's well by the end of the summer if we do this. My buddy is better than me but about the same level.

So the ideals would be:

Boating community with gear to buy, a boat, and paddle basically (we'd have drytops skirts etc shipped to us)

A place close to runs we could challenge ourselves and find shuttles

Free camping

Lastly, does this sound completely dumb? Do you think its feasible?

I'm guessing that staying around the NorthWest/BC area would probably be a good bet.

Other hot spots would be the SouthEast, but that's a bit of a long pedal or Salida/Buena Vista but that's really snowpack dependent.

I second the Squamish/Whistler area. It might be a little early for some of the classic creeks, but there should be some worthy boating with very bike-able shuttles. I've really enjoyed my trips up there to boat.

Too late for California I think, depending on what you are looking for.

So you aren't going to have a vehicle during the boating part of this trip? I imagine that will severely limit the amount of paddling you will be able to do...

I thought you were inquiring about the Yaak River...

If you'll be in Southern Oregon highly recommend the Rogue Wild and Scenic section. Warm water and air. Self support kayak trip possible with wilderness lodge options. Right in your ability range too. Also nearby: Umpqua, Klamath, Smith, and more w/ some great bike touring options.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I'm guessing that staying around the NorthWest/BC area would probably be a good bet.

Other hot spots would be the SouthEast, but that's a bit of a long pedal or Salida/Buena Vista but that's really snowpack dependent.
    the clearwater/upper quesnel /chilco in BC

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Root, I don't think we'll be really worried to get multiple laps a day unless we get lucky to get a shuttle. If we have boats we'll make do with what we can as long as its somewhat feasible. Riding 30 miles to paddle would be difficult, but if its 5 or 10 it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I thought you were inquiring about the Yaak River...
    I thought he was refering to raising highly intelligent hirsute ungulates.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    If you'll be in Southern Oregon highly recommend the Rogue Wild and Scenic section. Warm water and air. Self support kayak trip possible with wilderness lodge options. Right in your ability range too. Also nearby: Umpqua, Klamath, Smith, and more w/ some great bike touring options.
    And make sure you check and see if you need permits that time of year.