Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Ahh, I'm jealous of everyone who gets to head down to Lenas or anywhere else in the southern part of the world this summer. It is so worth it.

I need some quick help guys. So I did a month last year in SA (june - july roughly) and hit a couple great snow days and some dry spells. I just saw the deal on LAN.com for cheap tickets from LAX to Santiago and am very close to pulling the trigger. My question: Is it worth it to go the first week or so of September? My GF and I can't take too much time off work so a week and a half would be all we could do. is the snow going to be good? or should we try to find other dates?

we would mostly be at valle nevado / la parva and maybe las lenas depending on conditions

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    I need some quick help guys. So I did a month last year in SA (june - july roughly) and hit a couple great snow days and some dry spells. I just saw the deal on LAN.com for cheap tickets from LAX to Santiago and am very close to pulling the trigger. My question: Is it worth it to go the first week or so of September? My GF and I can't take too much time off work so a week and a half would be all we could do. is the snow going to be good? or should we try to find other dates?

we would mostly be at valle nevado / la parva and maybe las lenas depending on conditions
    First week in September should be fine.
    There may be no new snow at all at that time.
    Otherwise, you may have knee deep pow which I had in 2006 on September 8.

That's when I'm planning to go this year.

Earlier in August would be better, but you never know.

Either way, you're skiing, and isn't that what's most important?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Thanks for the response it helps me grip the trigger a little tighter, my GF is down with buying tickets at a moments notice it takes me a little more prep work but I think I might have to do this one. I'm already feeling the need for some Cachaça and escudo

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    Do you still get 50% off lift tickets if you stay in places at Marlague?
    This DOES NOT exist unless you rent gear at LL also, which brings the price right back up and you're stuck with some Rossi B2's from 2003. Discovered this the hard way last year, after hearing all over the place that I'd get a sweet discount.

Staying in Malargue isn't that bad though, still some super cheap hostels. The nightly asado + wine for $5 made up for the bus ride in the morning.
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

Helldawg Guest
    I think first week of Sept. is ideal for the higher elevation resorts like LL and Portillo. Bariloche, not as much, but still possible.

I've been in Portillo 3 times during that week, and had nukeage two out of three. Two words: Santa Rosa. It's real folks, just like the Jay Cloud.

Will be back down there this August - planning Argentina this year (Bariloche, Esquel areas).

UCL, shoot me a PM if you need assistance with Bariloche area. Happy to help out a fellow Cali bro.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    Do you still get 50% off lift tickets if you stay in places at Marlague?
    this is more of a scam than a deal as you have to rent gear for skiing or snowboarding to get the deal and it is only good till the end of july or something like that. Also staying in malargue you have to pay for a transfer to LL every day which costs the same amount that you are paying to stay at your hostel mas o menos.

Looks like a nice coat fell in the alpine the last couple days around Bariloche.

i have been following the TR here and have picked my dates which i assume aren't bad fro weather Aug10 -aug22...i am trying to figure out whats the best route to take...suggestions are more than welcome since its my firat time to SA....I have been thinking Portillo and maybe a day of cat skiing at Arpa.....any thoughts would be welcomed ...

Portillo usually books by the week, Saturday to Saturday. Actually, most of the resorts book by the week. You're arriving on the 10th, a Monday?

Playing lacrosse in Lake Placid tourny until sat night then head out on monday but nothing is set in stone ..YET...so recommmendations are in order but i need to be back by 23 to start teacher days by the 24th....May rent car but i feel like not a good idea , i may be wrong...

Flight booked: NYC>BUE (June 24th) BUE>RENO(Oct. 5) $770

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Oh man, I have to go back. Please Lord, let me win the lottery.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

first week in june until first week in august. a little over 2 months ought to do it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    UCL, shoot me a PM if you need assistance with Bariloche area. Happy to help out a fellow Cali bro.
    Thanks very much. Will probably be hitting you up nearer to the departure for conditions updates, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Oh man, I have to go back. Please Lord, let me win the lottery.
    Airfares have come way down, pull the trigger Trayc!

Well, I managed to get into grad school for the fall, which means I now reward myself by spending my parent's money on a Las Lenas trip. I'm looking to head down for two weeks, August 8th-22nd with two buddies.

Does anyone know any details about the andesmar overnight bus from BA? Their website is pretty worthless since you can't look more than 30 days in advance, and the southamericaski.com site doesn't have much detail other than "it's only friday nights, go check the andesmar website."

Hugh Conway Guest
    who'd have fucking guessed you were spending your parents money with your head so far up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    who'd have fucking guessed you were spending your parents money with your head so far up your ass?
    Uh oh, time to bump up the meds.

Looks like i'll be in Buenos Aires for work Sept 13-18th. Which means i'll have time after this for some turns. It seems by reading the posts it might be a little late in the season but should it sounds like i should stick with LL and Portillo? Thoughts anyone? Is it worth while hitting these resorts after sept.18th?

Also, is it possible to rent some good planks? I'm thinking of traveling without skis but all the rest of the equipment.

i've been dreaming about skiing in SA for a loooong time. I just hope i can get me sum!

Anyone else going to be around at this time?
    ...what? what I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Skiing's expensive, and I'm sorry you're butthurt about my source of funds. Thanks for the helpful input though. I've talked to people and spent plenty of time combing through threads here. All I've found so far on the bus is:

-It is only Friday nights
    -The schedules are never right
    -You can buy a ticket online, but no more than 30 days ahead
    -You can't buy a ticket until you're physically at the bus station

So yeah, I've found lots of info, and much of it is conflicting. Hence I'm asking again for more info from anyone who might have an idea. I personally have time to burn waiting around for buses down there, but the guys I'm traveling with have real jobs so they don't.

edit: BTW, flights from LA to BA were down to ~$630 online this week for any maggots still on the bubble.
    Last edited by Adamantium; 05-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    i have been following the TR here and have picked my dates which i assume aren't bad fro weather Aug10 -aug22...i am trying to figure out whats the best route to take...suggestions are more than welcome since its my firat time to SA....I have been thinking Portillo and maybe a day of cat skiing at Arpa.....any thoughts would be welcomed ...
    Portillo = Santiago, week long stay only, Octagon lodge is best value, Saturday to Saturday only, use their shuttle, book it all on their website. Super easy. admire the views in the pool . Go to the bar on the far side of hotel parking lot for change of scene from hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Skiing's expensive, and I'm sorry you're butthurt about my source of funds. Thanks for the helpful input though. I've talked to people and spent plenty of time combing through threads here. All I've found so far on the bus is:

-It is only Friday nights
    -The schedules are never right
    -You can buy a ticket online, but no more than 30 days ahead
    -You can't buy a ticket until you're physically at the bus station

So yeah, I've found lots of info, and much of it is conflicting. Hence I'm asking again for more info from anyone who might have an idea. I personally have time to burn waiting around for buses down there, but the guys I'm traveling with have real jobs so they don't.
    it's extremely easy to find buses around down there. once you get there, just take the bus from EZE airport to Retiro bus station (you won't be able to miss this bus, and it costs about 40 pesos I think). once at Retiro, just walk around the walls of bus companies and ask how much and when they go to wherever you need to go(they usually don't speak english, if i recall, so beware)
    . then, if it isn't for a day or 3, leave your bags downstairs at retiro (they have a place to store your bags for 10 bucks a day) and then go find yourself a hostel (info on hostels available in retiro, too) and kick it until bus time.