Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    You are 100% correct. Today was better than yesterday and that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FredsTrees View Post
    Dude. First of welcome to the patient psychology post ACL surgery. The old surgeons are sure great with the scalpel and billing your insurance company, but not so good at saying what to expect and how your bodies pain response messes with your mind. Here are the typical things you hear on this forum.

1. The swelling is too high
    2. I will never return to normal
    3. i have numbness
    4. I am missing x degrees of extension of flexion
    5. this sucks.

the universal answer to all of these things is that.

YOU HAD SURGERY, SHIT WILL HAPPEN, STAY POSITIVE, WORK AT IT AND IN ABOUT 6 MONTHS YOU WILL FEEL PRETTY DARN GREAT, AND IN A YEAR IT WILL BE ALMOST LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED.
    Unfortunately, not all knee stories have a happy ending, as many of the posts here attest. The real service of this forum, aside from letting us share victories and vent frustrations, is to share knowlege that may help avoid as many unhappy endings as possible.

Many thanks to all who post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidien View Post
    Unfortunately, not all knee stories have a happy ending, as many of the posts here attest. The real service of this forum, aside from letting us share victories and vent frustrations, is to share knowlege that may help avoid as many unhappy endings as possible.

I can share that whining and worrying are wasted energy, as someone who did a lot of both.

Get a great doctor and work your ass off with some positive outlook and most things will be fine.
    My Shoulder Surgery Thread Click Here

My ACL Graft Choice and Surgery Thread CLick here

My folow up was today and the doc said I am right on schedule and every thing looks good. I walked on my own without crutches as well and that felt great. No weakness or instability just a little pressure from the swelling. He said to ditch the brace unless I am on slippery terrain or am going somwhere where with a lot of people so they know I am a gimp.

Ice,ice and more ice. He also gave me the exercise where you put your knee flat on the ground and try and lift your heel. I can't do it yet but will work on it a thousand times a day until I get it.

Thanks for all your replies, encouragement, and advice. Beers are on me if any of you ever make it to Mammoth.

Looking forward to getting strong so I can get back out there.

1st PT session yesterday -1 and 107 . Rode the bike and did various exercises. It felt great to move the thing and try and get strong. I am really weak. The hamstring exercise where you stand up straight and lift your heel to your but I really suck at. I can barely move the damn thing but will keep working on it.

I saw my buddy who has three weeks on me and he is killing it. Can't wait to get there.

I'm surprised you didn't go to PT earlier! Still, sounds like you're healing well! Your ROM seems good! And it's always good to get exercising again, isn't it? Heal on
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Damn near killed myself this weekend. Went to two Phillies games down at Dodger Stadium and walked around Redondo Beach after and before both games. My knee is swollen and my hip hurts.

The incisions are mostly healed with the drain hole and the main one still having little scabs. PT is tomorrow but I think I'll go to the gym, soak in the tub, and pedal the bike a bit. I am stiff and swollen. Not in a good way either.

The real service of this forum, aside from letting us share victories and vent frustrations, is to share knowlege that may help avoid as many unhappy endings as possible.

I second that. I just got out of my pre-op; Doctor's comments were "How do you know all this?" and "You are the most organized patient I've ever seen." A testament to paying attention to (some of) the threads here and hearing stories from folks who have actually gone through it.

Met the assisting Doctor today too.....she's a frickn knockout. If she's around in recovery, here's hoping I don't make to big a fool out of myself when I'm coming out of anethesia. Mrs. Ridgehippy might slap me upside my head. The knives come out tomorrow; new acl time.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    Damn near killed myself this weekend. Went to two Phillies games down at Dodger Stadium and walked around Redondo Beach after and before both games. My knee is swollen and my hip hurts.

The incisions are mostly healed with the drain hole and the main one still having little scabs. PT is tomorrow but I think I'll go to the gym, soak in the tub, and pedal the bike a bit. I am stiff and swollen. Not in a good way either.
    Whoooaaah! You might want to check with your doc about that tub (public?). Mine sed shower ok but didn't want me to soak until incisions were WELL healed. You DO NOT want an infection.
    We're all either heathens or infidels... or both

Whoooaaah! You might want to check with your doc about that tub (public?). Mine sed shower ok but didn't want me to soak until incisions were WELL healed. You DO NOT want an infection.
    I didn't soak in the tub. I really wanted to but my incisions are not yet healed so I couldn't take that risk.

After doing my exercises last night I felt much better. My hamstring is still completely weak but I am getting my heel closer to m but with the help of a towel. PT again today at 2pm. I am actually looking forward to it.

Ridgehippy, The people are used to you saying stupid stuff when you come out from anesthesia. I have no recollection of being in the first room so who knows what went on. My nurse didn't look at me funny so I assume I was fine.

Three weeks today since surgery and I had my second PT session yesterday. I road the bike for about fifteen minutes yesterday and the seat was a little low when I started. I had it on the same setting but the bike was a little different. It is designed to make you bend the knee more. I was trying to get it around while pedaling forward but it was stuck while I neared the top of the stroke. I must have slipped a little with the good leg and it went all the way around. I let out a loud Mother Fucker. A few people looked appalled but my PT therapist had to laugh. She is also from the Philadelphia area so she understands how it's more of a reflex than anything.

I am still at -1 but got five more degrees to 112. I really thought I would be in the 120's but any progress is good. According to them I am right where I should be. The only thing I really need to work on is the mechanics of walking. I tend to swing my leg out instead of bending it. When I do bend it, I am robotic and need more natural flow. It's pretty weird to have to concentrate while walking.

I am much happier today than I was last week which is a good thing but need to have more patience going forward. Sleeping is much easier and walking around is getting better as well.

Reading these forums has been a great help and a motivation as well. Thanks for all those who post about recovery. Everyone is different so for those reading this keep up the good work and go at your own pace.

I am going fishing tonight which will help raise my spirits and cure a little of the boredom. I'll be sitting in the canoe with a big gay orange life vest on in case we flip it.

Do you guys schedule your therapy with a few days rest in between? Right now I am Tuesday and Thursday. I think Monday and Thursday would be better. Right now I am really sore and think PT is going to suck tomorrow. Do you think it's best to bang out two sessions with one day off in between and four off before the next or do three and two?

45Hill, glad you're moving down the recovery road. It's good to follow other folks progression.

Waking up from being knocked out must have been kinda fun. Nurse told me I was sure flexible; was almost touching my head with the leg that got the new ACL. Told Mrs. RH that they were all being so nice to me because of the show I put on (those hospital robes couldn't have hid much while I was doing Rockette kicks).

Been about 26 hours since surgery and things are going pretty well. Doing some rom stuff on my own, might start PT on Friday, and follow-up with the surgeon is next Monday. One day at a time.

manage your pain and I hope you get some sleep.

I just got my bill $46,478.75. My insurance company must hate me. I took them for almost $175000 last year.

-2 and 117. I am gaining five degrees per session and I hope I can get more as time goes on. I learned how to walk without a limp today. I was swinging my leg wide and boosting with my hip, which explains why it hurts. It's weird how you forget how to walk properly and favor the good leg.

Seeing progress every week is very rewarding. The first few days after surgery, I never thought I would walk again and today I went fishing. Hang in there everyone who just had this done. As everyone before me has said, it gets better and gets there faster than you think.

It'll be five weeks tomorrow and I went to PT today. There is still some swelling but the therapist said she has seen worse. I am at -2 and 130 which, I guess, is right where I should be. I was hoping for more because that is where I got to last week. I felt a little dejected but was told some weeks you gain some you stay the same. As long as I am not losing flex I am cool with it.

I was really hoping to be further along but have to take it easy. I am absolutely going out of my mind with boredom. I took my bike out and rode around town the other day and it felt great. Not so much on the knee but the freedom of getting around. It was scary riding around people and stopping but everything worked out.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the ortho and I hope he gives the go ahead for small, paved, bike rides and to get in the pool. I'm sure I won't be able to kick while swimming but I need another activity.

Today at PT I had this popping going on on the inside knee. It didn't really hurt but freaked me out. I have to find out what that is tomorrow. Another thing that is slowing me down is I am not use to moving my knee in ways they tell me to at PT. I have spent the last 18 years not moving leg certain ways for fear of lock up or blow out and still have those habits. The bungie cord around the ankle where you pull it really freaks me out. I need to develop some confidence in my new knee.

I am really bored.

How are you making out Ridgehippy?

It sounds like you're getting better and will definitely be back doing the fun stuff by next winter! Congrats!

I can totally relate to the whole taking something that works and then making it not work issue. I'm having on surgery on Friday to fix a torn labrum in my hip, but then after two months of rehab (out of what is usually around three) I get to go back in and have them break my pelvis to re-shape my socket in my hip joint (the underlying problem). It's going to be really hard, after having been in pain for 7 years, to let them go back in and make me hurt again just when it's starting to get better!

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    How are you making out Ridgehippy?
    Two weeks out from surgery. Did PT today and everything is going as well as I could hope for so far. My PT says he's taking my ROM as far as he wants to right now...probably about -3 to 110/115 or so. Been doing leg presses and today was the first day on a bike. PT and Mrs Ridgehippy both reminding me not to push it too hard.

Haven't had the brace on since about 4 days after surgery and haven't popped any narcs for over a week. Mostly one-crutching around, a little no-crutch walking working on my stride.

One thing I wasn't expecting was a secondary infection. I wrote off the swelling, redness, and tenderness in my shin to just normal after surgery effects. It felt like somebody was kicking me in the shin 24/7. My Doc saw it at my follow-up and immediately put me on a course of antibiotics. Turns out I was running a 100deg fever too. That set me back a bit but is under control now. Something everyone should keep an eye out for thought; infection would suck during recovery.

Its been nice to have a realistic outlook on what to expect (from reading posts here), gives you some patience and helps you to take it one day at a time.

Glad you're progressing along. Take care and keep the faith during the boredom stretches.

Got the OK to ride the bike today and hit the pool. My activities just tripled. Hell yeah.

What kind of excercises do you do in the pool? My doctor said no pool for 6 months, which seems absurd. My pt was surprised too, tried to explain not swimming neccesarily but just stretches and squats and what not, but no dice, yet they said i could ride my bike outside 3 weeks ago? I'm at about week 7 now. Riding bike a lot, sometimes up to 20+ miles, feels good.

I just want to get in and walk around. Just dunking my head and using my arms to propel me will be great.

My kids swim everyday so it'll be nice to be able to get in the pool and splash them. They know I'm a gimp so dunking is out of the question. I'll probably really suck at Marco Polo for a while as well.

I am stuck at -2 and 130 because of the swelling. I've been riding my bike everyday but only on the street and a few miles at a time. Beside the swelling, my biggest issue is the medial plica. Every time I do squat like exercises it pops. Nothing bad is going to happen but it scares me because it feels like my meniscus is popping out. My pt makes me hold a small rubber ball between my knees which seems to help but I still feel it popping. Once the swelling goes down it should stop. It was so bad the other night after therapy I had to have my wife meet me half way. Every turn of the crank it would pop and hurt a bit.

My last session I damn near cut a huge fart right in my therapists face. I was on the total gym doing leg presses and she was trying to get a measurement. I only hit 128 and knew I could get a few more degrees so I went a few more pushes. During my last one I went all the way to the bottom so she could the last measurement and it felt like my knee was going to explode. Just as she put the plastic thing on my hip I felt a rumble in my belly and it took everything I had not to blast her head off. Then I started laughing and knew it was all over in a matter of seconds. Now, I'm not sure sure if she heard the rumble or knew my knee was killing me but she quickly said, "130", and got out of there. I am glad was able to control my sphincter and subdue the pressure. As much as I love ripping a good fart, I'd hate to subject her to the wrath of my tookus. She is such a nice girl and hurt me at any given moment.

135 today. I am going to hit 140 by Friday. If all goes as planned I should be able to touch my heel to my ass by the end of next week.

I still can't touch my heel to my ass....I can't do it with my good leg either however.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I never made it to 140 and barely got to 135. I went for a big bike ride the day before and was a bit sore. PT now has me doing leg presses and lots of stretching exercises. The bike has become my best friend and I went on a leg/lung burner this morning. We climbed 1200 feet under two miles I feel tired but great. On the way back to town I snuck into the dirt for a little single track action. I took it really slow and it felt great to kick up some dust.

I'll be heading out again in an hour or so for another few miles on some fire roads. It's so nice to get out of the house and do stuff. All this time of and not being able to enjoy the mountains is tough. Looks like I'll be back to work around the 23rd. Bummer

Easy now

Attachment 62406Hey 45hill. Just caught up with your progress. You and I had surgery on the same day. I get what your saying about the bike. Be careful though I took a spill the other day riding some steep singletrack and it put a real scare in me. Pulled my hammy good and for a few min thought I might have re-torn my acl. My Dr. said this is the worst time for guys like me (and you). Ya feel pretty good so we push it. I definetly learned my lesson. No steep stuff....yet. I was out mowing my lawn three days after surg. and am now back to work (chairlift mechanic). No Climbing towers,doctors orders. I can play 18 holes of golf with a little vitamin I (ibuprophen). Gotta swing kinda weak and turn my bad knee out a little early. We'll be skiing again this season for sure (I think I might snowboard for the first part of the season, no twisting of the knee and all).

Peace and take care!