Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cognac/Armagnac Thread

Does it make me a bitch if this is the booze I like to sip at home or out of a flask?

I honestly don't know a whole lot about the stuff but it's what I drink. I've never had a VS I've liked, only VSOP's and XO's. What do you maggots like? Best value for the money? What's the really good shit that's less than $120 a bottle?

Cognacs I've had:
    Martell VSOP (fav for the money) & XO, Courvoisier VSOP (good but a bit unbalanced for me), Remy Martin VSOP (a pretty good value buy at Trader Joes), Hennessey VSOP (not much of a fan) ... and some random pricey shots of 30 year old stuff at restaurants that I can't remember.

Armagnacs ... I've had random stuff at restaurants I've really liked (most every one I've tried) but the only one I buy around here is Delord for $35 at the local market. Pretty good actually.

On that note, I can't get into the whole candle under the glass thing though. It's one thing to get the whole bouquet, it's another to evaporate a shit ton of alcohol into your nostrils and eyes

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

If you mix it with coke you are ghetto.

I like Godet XO (~$60) but mainly stay with Bourbon or Scotch as an aperitif. I've had the Ferrand "Angels Share" 30yo and it was tres tasty, but very pricy... somewhere in the $120 neighborhood.

Armagnacs that are affordable (somewhat) and that rock:

Dartigalongue Hors D'Age (15yr)
    Chateau Du Tariquet 12 Year

Pierre Ferrand.

http://le-cognac.com/pf/main.html

inexpensive and good.

Have a bottle of Hennessey VSOP lying around. I don't drink it enough though. I really need one of those heated snifters with the little candle stand. The few times I have drank out of a properly heated snifter (in restaurants) it made a big difference. It seemed way more caramely and aromatic.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    KELT, nough said. OH, Gautier for the money is prettty damned good, cna get an XO for slightly more than that Remy VSOP swill and drinks better than the Remy XO
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Have a bottle of Hennessey VSOP lying around. I don't drink it enough though. I really need one of those heated snifters with the little candle stand. The few times I have drank out of a properly heated snifter (in restaurants) it made a big difference. It seemed way more caramely and aromatic.
    Microwave...10 seconds...DONE...

It does make it MUCH smoother and brings out some notes you might not otherwise taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    If you mix it with coke you are ghetto.
    If you...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Microwave...10 seconds...DONE...

It does make it MUCH smoother and brings out some notes you might not otherwise taste.
    ....you are slumdog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If you...

....you are slumdog?
    No different than the candle glass method and WAY faster.....

To each their own...it does nothing to the booze so whats the diff?

Maybe.

But I've spent too much time in Cognac seeing the care and love put into all Cognacs to think a microwave is doing "nothing" to the "booze" or that "fast" is a priority or appropriate when drinkng it.

The Cognac houses themselves think the candle warmer a distinctly déclassé move.

But what'd they know?

How many straws do you drink your Domaine de la Romanée with?

Heh.

I just use my hands to warm the brandy to body temp.

Maybe.

But I've spent too much time in Cognac seeing the care and love put into all Cognacs to think a microwave is doing "nothing" to the "booze" or that "fast" is a priority or appropriate when drinkng it.

The Cognac houses themselves think the candle warmer a distinctly déclassé move.

But what'd they know?

Wow arent you fucking fancy...?

I could give a fuck what the french think.....i just know what tastes good, and congac tastes much better warm. Granted you could do it with your hands the "old fashioned" way, but...again to each their own.

Oh and I could give a fuck where you did or did not spend time...doesnt make you know more or less..I never spent time in a beer making plant, but I can make some pretty good fucking beer.....award winning no less so....take your high and mighty, better than you attitude cause I "been there", and shove it up your stinking ass...

Oh and fuck a straw...I drink that shit straight from the bottle bitch

I bet he just uses one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Heh.

I just use my hands to warm the brandy to body temp.
    bingo, moi aussi.

Thanks for the beta, looks like the local shop has two of the recs in stock:
    http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=690010
    http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1028837

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    bingo, moi aussi.

Thanks for the beta, looks like the local shop has two of the recs in stock:
    http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=690010
    http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1028837
    The first link to the Pierre...is a very nice drink....its always in my "cabinet" (the kitchen counter ha)

enjoy man...

This is the bottle I have, don't drink it hardly ever but it is gooood.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cognac related.

Look out for Pineau_des_Charentes

Neither Cognac nor Armagnac is an aperitif:
    An apéritif (also spelled aperitif) is an alcoholic drink that is usually served to stimulate the appetite before a meal, contrasting with digestifs, which are served after meals.
    Apéritifs are commonly served with something small to eat, such as crackers, cheese, pâté, olives, and various kinds of finger food.[1] [2]
    This French word is derived from the Latin verb aperire, which means “to open.”

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
    Neither Cognac nor Armagnac is an aperitif:
    An apéritif (also spelled aperitif) is an alcoholic drink that is usually served to stimulate the appetite before a meal, contrasting with digestifs, which are served after meals.
    Apéritifs are commonly served with something small to eat, such as crackers, cheese, pâté, olives, and various kinds of finger food.[1] [2]
    This French word is derived from the Latin verb aperire, which means “to open.”
    You talking to me?

It'd be a reasonably safe bet that I know this kind of shit

Pineau is made in the same area of France as Cognac from the same grapes. It's little known here. I thought gourmands like Tipp might appreciate it. Skidog would probably use it to light his BBQ.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 04-28-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Pineau is made in the same area of France as Cognac from the same grapes. It's little known here. I thought gourmands like Tipp might appreciate it. Skidog would probably use it to light his BBQ.

Yeah cause you have a fucking clue...just cause i use the microwave to heat up the congac doesnt mean shit...

I know and have drank many many a good snifter of congac...I know good when I drink it...

Keep dropping names though...its sooooo cool...

God are you really this big a douche in person?

He's right -- Cognac is traditionally a digestif. I used the wrong word.

You talking to me?

It'd be a reasonably safe bet that I know this kind of shit

No, talking to the poster above who suggested it was an aperitif.

Any other suggestions?

I got my company party this Saturday and figured I'll stick with cognac/armagnac for the course of the evening. To make things interesting, the following convo took place last year at the same venue: Me - "what kind of bourbon you got?" ... Bartender - "what would you like?" Forgot what I said but it was something fairly uncommon at your typical higher end bar (although this is at Castle Pines). Bartender leaves to a room behind the bar for the drink and returns - leads me to think they have a fine collection back there.

I got into it in Paris, but rarely order it here because most establishments serve awful examples. Sorta like ordering tequila and being offered Cuervo. Just Cuervo.

"Hennessy and Coke, Biotch!" then throw gang signs and punch him in the face when he gives you the glass.

Then tip him $20 to make it better.