TR: 4-27-09 The Way the Wasatch Used to Be?

Just que "I'm not from here" by McMurtry and think about having your own private Wasatch where you encounter just a few other people all day; everyone happy and smiling, having fun. Distant sites of other's presence only visible and therefore proven by the tracks that they leave. Glorious, smooth, blower powder as far as the eye can see and not enough time or legs to lap it all up.

Pull into LCC Park N Ride and their is only one car left over from night before. Get to Lady of the Snows to see only a few cars along the road and no skinner up Flagg; can only make out one other party almost to Poleline Pass. Not a speck of wind and only sound was birds chirping in the air.

Sunrise over Mecca

No sheep today; just small critters setting the skinner

A sunrise view I never, ever grow tired of

Sunrise to the east over the goods

Looking west at shadows and shenanigans

Powstash showing off his new pack

Sluffs abounded today, but were very maneagable if you skied fast enough ... which ain't very fast if a PC guy can outrun one

Park City turns on the looker's left; Alta turns on the right

Powstash bringing the heat trying to beat the plane above

Powstash taking it over the hood

Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Powstash thinking "damn I wish this snow would quit getting all up in my grill, the photos won't show my new black and white checkered topsheets"

Powstash up close spraying all about it again

Powstash blazing by the Castle, Sugarloaf, High Boy and Baldy

Powstash with a perfect Toledo Bowl and Chute behind him

Today was an F'ing great day!!! When we departed in the early afternoon, there were still no tracks on Cardiff, Toledo, Flagg or any of the Emmas. If we had a heli today, we could've done some serious damage

Obs: fairly long running sluffs on all aspects that entrained alot of snow; you could easily out run or ski out of the way of them. wind that was all but non existant early, picked up from the south around 11'ish and was easily transporting snow as could be seen from the valley early this afternoon on the high peaks. snow was still good on all aspects when we left just after noon except below about 9.2k on straight south facing - it skied like elementary school glue.
    Last edited by Xover; 04-27-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

nice pow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Nice slash turn for the camera P-Stash. Thought you didn't do those?

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Today was an F'ing great day!!! When we departed in the early afternoon, there were still no tracks on Cardiff, Toledo, Flagg or any of the Emmas. If we had a heli today, we could've done some serious damage
    Excellent TR; glad to see someone brought a camera today. There were still a bunch of tourers out but not nearly as many as you’d expect given teh awesome and better yet, why ski south facing stuff when the entire canyon is yours to plunder (not that it mattered, every aspect was good). Seeing all the roadies & Mtn bikers out on the drive home brought on a smile, if they only knew.

holla hollla....nice biglines pix!!!
    damn, have to make it a mission to get some pow with you sooner than later

Quote Originally Posted by raddam View Post
    damn, have to make it a mission to get some pow with you sooner than later
    tell the wifey, i have been training for 4 years to even the score between the two of us in the Snowmass/LCC Photo Challenge II .... is she up for this year??? OR have you got her pregos and she needs to wait another season to dump the xtra lbs????

Nice work Matt!
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

damn! that looks nice.

sincerely,
    jealous.

the one thing the photos don't really convey is just how quiet the Wasatch was. I know most of the free world is over winter, but it was truly amazing to have only talked to 3 people on what is undoubtedly the most popular spot for backcountry skiing in Utah. And to put in the skin track up Flag and then ski days without seeing anyone else?

The only sound that could be heard was the drone of the tram and for a few moments as it would dock, nothing....

A great day for sure. If it is my last powder day this season it rivals other seasons for the best finale ever.

Thx Xover.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    If it is my last powder day this season it rivals other seasons for the best finale ever.
    It wont be....

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    the one thing the photos don't really convey is just how quiet the Wasatch was. I know most of the free world is over winter, but it was truly amazing to have only talked to 3 people on what is undoubtedly the most popular spot for backcountry skiing in Utah. And to put in the skin track up Flag and then ski days without seeing anyone else?

The only sound that could be heard was the drone of the tram and for a few moments as it would dock, nothing....

A great day for sure. If it is my last powder day this season it rivals other seasons for the best finale ever.

Thx Xover.
    Noice .... now where are YOUR pix from that fancy, dancy new camera??

damn nice stoke...wish i was out there...EC very hot !!!!

Thanks for the invite. Not that I could have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by powderwhore View Post
    Thanks for the invite. Not that I could have gone.
    we talked about past memorable days with you in those environs; does that count??

aahahah- the wasatch is so shitty.. so small.... ahahahha there is no bc in the wasatch...

Bluebird pow is a thing to be cherished.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

... still awaiting 'Stashes' pix from his fancy, dancy camera ..... argh ....

How is it that you guys ski pow in the blazing sunshine down there this time of year?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra