Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Or maybe you'll feel kind enough to teach us the secret NOLS method for putting your skis inside your pack.
    B w a a a a a a a a a a a a a a h a h a ! Love it!

Holy shit, way to get after it. That is a phenomenal tr.

Jesus, dude. What an adventure! Great write-up.

Makes me want to do some adventuring of my own.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

An inspirational effort.

One of the best TR's I've ever read. It conveys so much about what so few ever experience. Thanks for sharing this, truly.

These two quotes reminded me of a similar (mis)adventure in Death Valley last year. And I can say similar because I understand the suffering and the price that is paid to slide on a few thousand feet of very distant snow. Stoy, you reading this?

...pictures cannot communicate the meat of this venture, and when you are suffering most is when you are least likely to take out your camera.
    It was quieter. There was some talk amongst the groans of pain and frustration along with the occasional scream of anguish and agony. Those who embark on similar endeavors know precisely of what I speak.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Holy TR! Glad you guys got it done.

TR of the year for sure!
    Old's Cool.

Or maybe you'll feel kind enough to teach us the secret NOLS method for putting your skis inside your pack.
    The answer is clear. He uses snowblades.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Certainly one of the best TRs I've seen, the pictures are exceptional and the writing really augments the grandeur of the photos.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

related searches
    "Fat kid gets owned by exercise ball"
    "Aaron Ralston"

Nice work Gents. Your TR does a great job of capturing what ski mountaineering is about.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

wow!

nice to see that in this world of comforts and full information before we leave our homes, it's nice to see that true adventure (and explorers!) still exist.

this must be a record for longest tour in factors + dukes + reverse camber (err...heavily rockered) skis!! i shudder to think how far you'd go in dynafits. perhaps this would have been an afternoon tour.

nice work, and thanks for taking the time to share this.

going the distance in dukes!!

and i thought our tour was a long one on dukes:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157573

not worthy!!

You guys are animals!

wait, isn't summit on a SAR team? it kind of looks like you guys took packing lessons from rontele...
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

oh yeah, very nice work....
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

I've kayaked the Animas and I am utterly amazed and what you guys did. I need to get out there and explore more. To me that's what skiing is all about not riding up a lift and bombing down a groomer...

Thanks for the inspiration

I love any trip that maximizes the slog!

Quote Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
    Do us all a favor and put your ego on ice
    Now THAT was funny! Right in the middle of a huge ego trip too

Wong Fowum Jong honors your perserverance. To endure great suffering is both a burden and a gift. And is one of the many paths to true enlightenment. Continue on this noble path.

Quote Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
    Wow! There have been numerous comments that echo this but I am using "wow" as in I am amazed at how Darwinism has not caught up with you yet. Although I admire the determination, you need to take a Wilderness skills course (like one taught by NOLS) to learn how to pack your pack, carry less, and do things in style. What a junk show. Your feet...no excuse to let that happen in the span of 60 or so hours. SAR groups exist because of people like you.
    Again, I am impressed by the determination but for what? So you can write a TR with photos demonstrating that you have no clue how to pack a pack? (FYI: Expedition sized back packs are designed to have equipment inside of them. If you put everything on the outside, then they carry out of balance. Newsflash: All packs carry poorly with more junk strapped to the outside.) Cross icy, swollen rivers? Continue to go up as you post hole deeper? Do us all a favor and put your ego on ice and sign up for (and take) a NOLS Alaska Mountaineering course. Oh, the photo with the gallon jug hanging off your pack...that's really funny. It's spring! There is water every where. You do not have to carry it. Unless of course you want to look like Jed Clampett.
    Being strong, fit and determined only take you so far. It is good to have experiences like this so that you can learn and improve. Goals are good but don't let them kill you.
    How many NOLS instructors does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one - but the world revolves around them while they hold up the light bulb.

Go fuck yourself.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Great to see the Weminuche continuing as an equal opportunity punisher. Nice job. I’ve had the “pleasure” of skiing in that valley a few times, including the line in your TR. Hadn’t heard the names that Eross uses in his report.

Google Earth - I use it too, but I think its making the world a little smaller.

When you are pushing along and suffering like that, it certainly lets you process a lot of stuff. Catharsis through agony is the way of the warrior...
    hah, that's hillarious.

That was awesome. The words and images really get it. Nice work gentlemen.

Great documentary, heckuva TR!

Just now read this. All I can say is fuh-kin-A! That was a great read, thanks for sharing.

McClelland, stfu.