adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts

PSA: Beacons and iPods Do Not Mix

This is a pretty belated post, but it was brought to me attention that it was worthy of a thread on ShredGR.

A few months ago, Nick and I were doing some beacon drills and decided to test the effect cell phones and iPods had on a BCA Tracker. The cell phone had no noticeable effect, but the iPod fucked up the signal, making the direction/distance become very erratic. I don't know if this is the case with all Beacons and I'd like to hear about what it does with different kinds.

And just a little something for the all the Colorado crew: There is a ton of wet slide activity going on right now on lower elevations, especially around cliff bands and rocks in general. Be safe.

which generation ipod?

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    I believe it was last years. It was Nicks, so he can step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

advres Guest

^^^ Just read that tread... thanks.

I sappose a camera or a GPS could have similar effects as well, and this is concerning to me since I ofter carry those on my front for quick and easy access while touring.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

So my 3 year old 20Gb non-color Ipod will mess with my tracker just from the EM leakage of the electronic parts?
    Better question: Why are you listening to music? You should be listening for tell-tail cracking and whoomping noises.
    EDIT to add: my tracker in search mode is definitely getting some kind of interference from my desktop computer. Especially with the 650w power supply, I bet it's putting out all kinds of EM.
    It looks like there's a little bit of interference with my ipod, but it's hard to tell. It could still be the computer.
    The interference doesn't cause an error code, it just starts tracking a signal that is says is farther way than the object of interest.
    Didn't get signals from my Verizon LG env2, bluetooth off, but phone on.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 05-02-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

the ipod was a 5th gen 30g video.

And yes, you should never be listening to music while BC, but i would be lying if i denied wishing i could listen to music while skinning up.

As adam said, in our trials I had the ipod playing while holding it in the same hand as the beacon while searching and the result was completely erratic readings, i was led in opposite directs as the transmitting beacon, the readings were sort of looking like they do in multiple burial situations.

And we found no noticeable ill effects doing the same thing with cellphones (blue tooth off).
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

i would guess it's due to the magnetic drive storing the data.... anyone have a flash memory based ipod like the shuffle? no moving parts, so i'm wondering if it will still affect the beacon the same? if you have an iTouch, the wi-fi would cause problems i would think, but if turned off? i don't know, just some thoughts....
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

I am guilty of listening to music while by myself and when chugging up long glaciers. Also when around groups of Germans.

I remember reading about this last winter and tested with my ipod and all three of my beacons (2 Barryvox, one Pieps.) No issues, either in receive or transmit.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I don't know if this is the case with all Beacons and I'd like to hear about what it does with different kinds.
    In my experience, yes, iPods cause interference in all beacons:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/1609/jonatha...on-test-notes/
    Caveat: that round of testing was done with older firmware for some beacons. In at least one instance, a firmware upgrade has drastically improved shielding for one beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by HiGrade1 View Post
    i would guess it's due to the magnetic drive storing the data.... anyone have a flash memory based ipod like the shuffle? no moving parts, so i'm wondering if it will still affect the beacon the same?
    That had been my conclusion, but then I realized that I had received a free iPod Shuffle with my NSP credit card. (You can see how into music I am...) Still very bad interference (although I've tested it with only a sample of beacon models, but still, a pretty broad sample).

Note that all of this interference is with receive/search, not transmit. I've never heard of a credible report regarding interference with beacon transmission.

Would wearing a pov helmet cam interfere with a beacon signal?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    IMO backcontry skiing and ipods don't mix period unless your solo or in a bomber snowpack.
    A communication liability
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by revitup View Post
    Would wearing a pov helmet cam interfere with a beacon signal?
    Transmission? No.

Searching? Hmm, I don't know, could cause problems, but would have test to know for sure.

page 32 in the ortovox d3 digitial owners manual reads: "Failures in the performance of the transmision and reception functions can be caused by lightning, lift and power systems, radio equipment, mobile telephones and other electronic equipment." So yea I would leave the i-pod home and turn the cell off.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    IMO backcontry skiing and ipods don't mix period unless your solo or in a bomber snowpack.
    A communication liability
    and you cant listen for warning signs in the snow
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawktony View Post
    page 32 in the ortovox d3 digitial owners manual reads: "Failures in the performance of the transmision and reception functions can be caused by lightning, lift and power systems, radio equipment, mobile telephones and other electronic equipment." So yea I would leave the i-pod home and turn the cell off.
    Ahhh makes working in the snow hard when wearing a radio! I believe only an issue if the radio is transmitting and not receiving, however most patrollers and guides carry radios.
    Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be