Season highlights 08-09 1thenaton1's first TR of sorts

With most of my major excursions of the 08-09 season completed I thought I would share some of the highlights.
    First stop Steamboat, Christmas week Dec '08. Pics from cat tour nearby on Buffalo Pass.

and one from inbounds

Next stop was Jackson, 2nd week in January. Got a surprise 12" the first night and when the tram finally opened it was ON. The pics def don't do this section justice. Rode with not sure if they're mags DGod and Moose and Pattyowe through some sweet lines down Rock Springs and 4 Pines once the storm cleared.

high alpine was still sketchy at this point but still nice to look at

Few weeks later headed out to Solitude for MLK weekend. A week of warmish temps and sun had done a number to the resort, and an impromptu ride with WPG was in order.

Not much for action shots but we skied sweet runs on their southern circuit that stayed super fresh.

Next day we skied a nice shot down to the lake near Solitude that also had stayed fresh and untracked in the week since any snow had fallen.

View of Superior was awesome

Presidents weekend we skied some great pow at Snowbird.
    Pedro getting deep in the bookends

old school

Also got to take a lap out the Gad2 gate. Besides following the biggest crew of gapers ever (8 deep trying to boot up a windloaded slope all within arms reach of each other), we got some really nice turns in

A few stills from a digi cam vid

Next stop was Telluride, 3rd week in March. 10 inches or so in the week prior, and nothing but warm temps and sunshine in the forecast for the week ahead. But if you were willing to work, there was still some good skiing to be had.

At the top of the 3rd bootpack of the day we whipped out the cellphone and called Telluride Helitrax. Enough was enough. And after picking us up a few feet from the hotel the next morning, we were off

The terrain they access was simply unreal. Massive. Here's a panorama from what felt like the top of the world.

Great guides, pilot, and crew that day. Really came together well, especially considering their warning that they don't drop cliffs, ski couloirs, etc. b/c of the sketchy San Juan snowpack - none of this turned out to be true that day thankfully.

Really like this shot of big Mike

BigMike again

After the heli day the rest of the trip was very springy. But some fun low key skiing nonetheless. Last day took a trip up Palmyra and a lap through Bear Creek with a buddy from college who moved out there. Can only imagine how sweet Bear Creek would be a few days after a winter storm. Its big, too.

And the last excursion of the year - one more out to the bird. TheDoctuh's birthday and WHapworth's recent expatriation to the wasatch made for a killer time.
    TheDoctuh goin strong on his 57th birthday

Then on day three it started snowing again. Thundersnow actually. Shut the lifts down at alta for ~2 hours, but the late afternoon runs were worth it.

By the next morning 10" of graupel-like snow had fallen turning the bird into a playground.
    WHapworth ripping a line down the cirque. My line and landing off the spine are visible to the left

Snow was great for some surfy turns down gad chutes

And that about does it. Perhaps some more timely TRs to follow. And with WHapworth living at the base of LCC, theres probably even more bird trips on deck next season. Hope you enjoyed

Try and make the pics a little bigger next time, JONG.

Some nice action there though.

I wish i had a heli on speed dial. Nice pics

Thanks for sharing.... you rich bastard.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

thanks dudes

So that's 3 heli trips in a single season? Where's your gold mine?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

2 1 day trips... it's in the wasatch

the Naton went on a hunt for the great white magician this year, and it would appear that he found him and should be complemented for his effors. thinking he could hide in the deepest of American backcountry, little did the magician know about the natons tremendous detective skills, his mastery of the internetz, and the advent of birds that can transport humans.

embarrassed and unclothed, we all know to where the magician has retreated. while he still has his tight grip held on in the wasatch, if we are to find him in any proximity of time, we will have to go hunting in his southern hospice, where he resides from april to august. we will likely need more birds, some luck, and definitely some $$$crilla.

is skiing addictive?

my question remains unanswered, but the magician is in full effect right now in the Wasatch, crazy magician