Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Half Marathon Training - HELP!

So on a whim, and in an attempt to get my post pregnancy body back in shape I have signed myself up for a half marathon in September. I am VERY much a running jong, and quite honestly would rather ride my bike than run. That said, I know running will help get me back in shape and quickly. My time on my road/mtn bike this summer may be limited due to having a baby, so running is going to be my new, favorite (cough, cough) way to get in shape. OK, maybe not favorite but I know it will work if I stick to it. I am also hoping to come out of this whole adventure with a new respect for running. Maybe once I stick to it, and it doesn't hurt so much I will like it.

I have searched TGnaR and not found what I am looking for so that is why I am posting, asking for the advice of running mags.

I have found some links online with half marathon training programs. Does anyone have one they swear by, or has been successful for them? How important is it to use my heart rate monitor? What sort of advice can you give a newbie runner? Any motivation to keep on going? When do I experience that running "high" I hear so much about? Any online running forums/websites etc. you recommend? What should I do/not do as a new runner, during training etc. How often should I run? I am looking for advice, and some education here.

I am lifting/strength training 2-3 days a week right now, and that has helped a lot with cutting some body fat etc. Also following a high protein diet which has worked SUPER well for me in the past for weight loss. I think this will help with running...less baggage to carry around.

So I ask thee maggot runners to help! I am nervous, and I am afraid I won't have the knowledge to commit to this training/half marathon and be successful. Any/all advice is accepted with open ears at this point.

Thanks you!

Edit: wanted to add a picture of the reason I am out of shape & my motivation. He's a heart breaker, I love him, and it was all worth it!!

Attachment 59596
    Last edited by bumpskier; 04-23-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

check out www.runnersworld.com under the forums section

I'm training for some 1/2 marathons this summer. My plan is to gradually increase my mileage over then next couple months. I'm currently running 2-3 days a week, 4-5 miles at and easy pace. I'll start increasing the long run about a mile each week until I get to 15 miles. I'll reach that goal in about 10 weeks. Your goal is longer out so you can spread the mileage increase over the summer. This is a rather casual program that is not too time intensive.

If you are simply looking to finish a 1/2 marathon, you don't really need the heart rate monitor. If you are looking to race/compete then you are looking at a whole different training program which a HR monitor could help. But you'll be looking at speed work & tempo runs.

One of the best motivators is a running partner or training group. They'll help you put those shoes on when you really don't want to.

Also, you'll know when you get that runner's high. It'll come when you start to increase your miles. It's been my drug of choice for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    I have found some links online with half marathon training programs. Does anyone have one they swear by, or has been successful for them? How important is it to use my heart rate monitor? What sort of advice can you give a newbie runner? Any motivation to keep on going? When do I experience that running "high" I hear so much about? Any online running forums/websites etc. you recommend? What should I do/not do as a new runner, during training etc. How often should I run? I am looking for advice, and some education here.
    Off the top of my head:

There's a nice group of dummies on the Runner's World forums who can offer advice on starting out and ramping up towards 1/2 marathon mileage and beyond. Lot's of women and moms who can tell you their pregnancy and postpartum stories, too.

I personally see no value in training with a heart-rate monitor other than to monitor change in apparent fitness over the course of your training. If you're used to using one already with your bicycle training, then it may behoove you to continue using it as you transition to running. Mind your breathing, your heart rate, your sweating, energy, etc. and you'll do fine. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. All of this will become inituitive if you want it to.

You'll know the high when you become aware of it. It's not so much a "runner's high" as it is an "exercise high".

Don't ever look to others for motivation, it must come from within. Well, OK. If you run long enough, you'll have one sweet-looking ass.

Probably the best thing that you can do now is to visit a good running store (not a general sporting goods store) and talk with people there. Have them evaluate your running while trying different shoes to ensure that you're in the appropriate footwear. The wrong shoe can fuck you up good. A lot of these store have group runs (of varying abilities) in the evenings and that's a great way to meet folks and possibly find running partners. Run different routes, run (walk initially if you must) hills, both up and down, run trails, if possible. Learn to comfortably run with a bottle and drink frequently, especially as your mileage increases. Go to a book store and find "The Lore of Running" by Tim Noakes. This is a fabulous book and will cover all of your basic questions and can serve as a guide. If you find this book instructive, buy it. Tim used to post on the old ultrarunning BBS back in the early 90s. At this early stage of your running career, you may be more susceptible to a whole range of weirdo injuries. Be mindful of the various tweaks you encounter, be careful of anything that lingers for too long. Be prepared to invest in a good massage therapist from time to time. Have fun.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    be careful of anything that lingers for too long. Be prepared to invest in a good massage therapist from time to time. Have fun.
    Its tempting sometimes to really push your training but don't. I think its something like 10% a week increase. You have a long time to train use all of it. What are you comfortable with as far as miles per week now?

My "runners high" I also get sometimes at the gym or fighting, its a combo of pain, awareness, and accomplishment (whatever that is).
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I, too, ran a half-marathon on a whim. This is a cautionary tale. I was superfit at the time - semi-pro cyclist in Yurp. My training was to buy a pair of running shoes and hit the bar. I ran the half-marathon in sub-90 minutes. The problems started after that. I couldn't walk, I could only run to the car. Once in the car I was stuck in traffic and once I got to my destination (the bar again) I got out and my legs collapsed. What can you learn from this ? Running requires running, or at least jogging, as training. Running shoes help though ... at least I got that right.

I've done a marathon each of the past five years, so I'm by no means an expert, but have gained a bit of experience and definitely figured out some things that have worked pretty well for me in training for the last couple runs. there are hundreds of sites online with training schedules and all the info you'd ever want, so check them out and take away the info that fits you and incorporate it into your training. below are a couple 'extra' little things that have made training go a bit smoother for me...

1) buy some decent shoes and only use them for running.
    -your legs will thank you and you'll be less prone to getting injured and you're new purchase will give you some stoke on those days when you don't feel like going out to work out!

2) if you want to bike, plan it into your week for a couple work-outs.
    -I tried running 5-6 times a week before my first couple marathons and it not only eventually burnt me out, but my legs couldn't take it and my knees and shins were constantly injured and then I'd have to stop running for 4-5 days only for the injuries to pop up again when I'd start running again. I started alternating biking and running each day and the my body responded 100% better to this. I not only ran better, but I didn't get burnt out, and I stayed healthy. I never looked at running like this in the past, I now kind of look at it like lifting. You aren't going to lift arms everyday you work out cause you want to give them time to recover. Same thing for running....

3) have fun with it!
    - for me, running is almost as much of a mental thing as it is physical. if you are always running the same trail, you're going to get bored and you aren't going to be as pumped to get out there. on the days you have some extra time, hop in the car and change up where you go to keep it interesting. new scenery etc. will help take your mind off the fact that you're doing something you don't necessarily love (at the moment). I know if I'm running because I HAVE to, it's not as enjoyable and I'm more likely to blow-off a run or two on those days that I'm not feeling the love.

4) keep a log
    -not only will you get to see your progress, but it seems to keep me a bit more accountable and 'on track'. I have a crappy excel sheet I made and when I get done, I'll enter in what I did that day. I don't do anything fancy and analyze it and make charts and graphs or anything, but it's more just the fact that it's there and I know if I don't run/bike/etc I'm going to have a big blank spot in my log.

hopefully some of these can help you. you could go run a half-marathon right now, even without training; it's all mental. the training will just make the actual race go smooth and more enjoyable and give you the confidence that you can knock it out. and you'll recover from the race much quicker and won't be injured if you're in shape for it. again, I don't have as much experience as probably some of the other people here, so do as you will with this advice, but hopefully it can be of some use to you. good luck!

I would check out your local running shop, and see if they had a running group. Some of my friends did that this spring, and they really enjoyed it.

Some of my friends ran their first half this spring, and did pretty well. They joined a running group based out of one of the local running shops. Sounds like something worth checking out if you need help.

Viva hit all the nails on the head. You have a ton of time to get up to half marathon shape. Enjoy your training, get a running stroller, it's fun for both of you. Nothing motivated me more than my daughter in her first few words screaming out "faster" from her spot in the stroller. Shoes are the biggest deal here. Get fitted by a pro, not some pimple faced kid at a sporting goods retailer. Then hit the road, or better yet the trail(easier on your knees). Keep close track of your mileage and times. Expect shitty days, it still takes me 1+ miles before I'm actually motivated to run, I hate that first mile. A running group is nice, but it never fit into my day. I work from home so I hit the road at off times and can shower up right at the office. Figure out what works for you.

Another thing people will mention is nutrition during the run. You can try it but I've never needed any supplements (ie Gu) for a half. You can experiment with different stuff if you need a little boost. But have everything picked out well before race day. Find a breakfast that sits well, I'm partial for peanut butter toast with a drizzle of honey. It doesn't repeat itself. The last half I ran I made the mistake of going to a fundraiser/party the night before. Too much beer and BBQ ribs made for 6 very awesul miles as I belched BBQ sauce about every block. Get good rest, with a kids that can be a challenge, and buy a new set of running shorts and a shirt for race day, and only for race day. It will give you a psych at the start.

Good Luck!
    Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

whoa, you're a chick?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Viva and I disagree on our personal use of heart rate monitors. Beyond that though, he speaks the truth.
    Check out a real running store. A place where you sit and talk and they check you out and bring you shoes that they think will work. If you are asking them to "get this shoe in a size 9" you're in the wrong place.

The basic guides they have at runnersworld.com under the half marathon training will be sufficient to get you through your first race.

I too decided to train for a 1/2 marathon.....and had one month to do it. I run in one week. My GF is a runner and put together a training sched. for me, and it's helped stay on track. I'm not a runner so here are my tips from a JONG.

Get good shoes. Get fitted properly.
    Don't ignore biking. Mix it in with your running.
    Run slow...more like a jogging...just faster than walking. Your speed will naturally increase over time.
    1/2 marathon will probably take ~2 hours.
    Run for a set time, not a set distance. It's easier on your brain.
    Gradually increase your run times....and don't go over 1.5 hours....no need to.
    Run different routes....the same trails/roads get boring....be nice to your brain.
    Have fun.....find a partner or go with a group.

I'd say set a goal for the race and training goals along the way. The getting in shape objective will take care of itself when you work towards the intermediate and ultimate goal.

Oh, getting the motivation to start a run on any specific day is sometimes hard. Push through that and just start to run. Once you start moving, you'll probably feel better. Tonight I had to 'make' myself go out, once I started I felt great.

you make it sound as though you are doing this to jump start your way to a sweet bod, or whatever. external motivation (i.e. aesthetics) will only get you so far. you have to want to run that thing.

also, there are better ways to lose fat than marathons, if that is what you are going for. do basic strength training and look into HIIT and tabata as well as the anabolic diet.

if you run the half marathon make sure it is for you and because you want it, or else you will hate every second of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Shoot for somewhere just over thirteen miles. That ought to get you your half marathon. Anyone tell you to go further and they're just fucking with you.
    Maybe try swerving a lot so it feels like you're skiing.....
    And, I'm not sure that was the picture folks were hoping you'd post.
    Just sayin'

Commit. 6 days a week. I trained for (and completed) a marathon in college, and there was more than once when I was running on a Sunday (I ran Sunday-Friday, with Mondays and Thursdays being long runs and the rest of the days being between 4 and 7 miles) promising myself that I'd never drink again because I would be throwing up, dry heaving, and still reeking of booze.

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

..... I have signed myself up for a half marathon
    That's half the battle won.

.. in September.
    Loads of time to allow you to take it easy and build up SLOW!

.. Maybe once I stick to it, and it doesn't hurt so much I will like it.
    Perhaps not 'like it', but without a doubt it will become easier and more enjoyable.

How important is it to use my heart rate monitor?
    It isn't important at all - they can hinder you more than they help you.

What sort of advice can you give a newbie runner?
    For the first two weeks or month of training, don't take a watch, don't run a prescribed route each day and just get out there and keep moving.

At the end of two weeks, you'll be running or jogging further than day one.

.Any motivation to keep on going?
    In the first few days and weeks, remember your small milestones - 1) Bothering to get out the door in trainers 2) 'Last week I couldn't make it to that lamp post, now I'm running past it' etc etc

Things always change, the annoying song in your head changes, your drive and motivation on any one day will change, your perception of effort changes.... roll with the punches, it's all good.

Keep the purpose in mind when the going gets hard.

If a hill gets tougher, be prepared to breath differently - your legs won't stop, as long as you are sucking in enough air at a quick enough rate.

.. When do I experience that running "high" I hear so much about?
    Perhaps on day one, perhaps on week one - perhaps a month or two later when your rythm and style are falling into place.

What should I do/not do as a new runner, during training etc. How often should I run? I am looking for advice, and some education here.
    1) Don't train too hard too fast at the start.
    2) Don't increase your miles too quickly.
    3) Don't get upset about anything - some barriers will take longer to top than others.
    4) Don't train through injury and do listen to your body. (He says after a frustrating week long lay off.)
    5) Don't feel you have to follow a prescribed format unless a strict regime suits you.

5) Do learn what your ITB is and learn how to stretch/protect it.

Ask more questions here if you want help. I'd be cautious of runners world etc - you've got a wealth of runners here who are probably better than the runners world lot and more willing to help you.

You'll run well on the big day - you've got all the motivation you need it would seem - have fun.
    Not around much these days.

Whoa - I've only met Bluebird twice, but me thinks that's an exact replica of him (just smaller and without a dip in the lower lip).

As for training for a 1/2, I echo what has been said already about moderation. IT bands and patella tendons dislike anything other than gradual increases in mileage.

I was in your same boat a couple years ago... I decided to run the full marathon... I had 16 weeks to train and had never ran. I used Hal Higdons training method. Here is the link to his half marathon training guide... its like training for dummies. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm Good luck...
    "There have been some pretty big advances in computers and the internet really harbors a bunch of idiots.

I hope the next advance makes it so that I can punch you the face"

Check out http://www.favoriterun.com/ they have a nice mapping system where you can track and create your routes.
    ...because warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer.

Check out http://www.favoriterun.com/ they have a nice mapping system where you can track and create your routes for distance. think they also have some sort of run log too but ive never used it.
    ...because warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer.

Thanks everyone for your reply's. So far things seem to be going well!! Running more than I have ever run before. Had a beautiful run on the beach today. It was awesome to jump in the ocean after.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Thanks everyone for your reply's. So far things seem to be going well!! Running more than I have ever run before. Had a beautiful run on the beach today. It was awesome to jump in the ocean after.
    We went to HI for a month a few years ago and ran on the beach every morning. I had never ran on a regular basis before. I loved it, wish I could do it every day.

Just a side question for the collective: Are treadmills and elipticals bad if you are training for running events? I never thought I would like that kinda stuff but lately the weather has sucked and I've kinda gotten hooked on watching tv and running.

Bumpskier, I have no real good advice but I wish you luck. You should post before and after pics

ROLL TIDE ROLL