Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    You can have a career in the mountains. My wife and I both work and both make decent money. Like Funken said, we have expensive hobbies and we own a 3 bedroom condo here in Vail and still own our house in Montana, so we aren't saving tons of money but the life is amazing in the Colorado high country. Really as happy as we have ever been sharing our passion for the outdoors with virtually everyone else. Definately figure in the costs of all the back and forth you do to the mountains if you live in Denver. It's expensive and we may not live here forever but for now it rocks!

Live the dream.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Have any of you seen Aspen Extreme?

I just saw it, is that what living in a ski town is really like?

Quote Originally Posted by dRider View Post
    But then again, food in the city is compelling...
    Aspen has some of the best restaurants in the country.

But in all honesty if food is a major factor in your decision making process of moving here or not, I'd say you should probably just stay in Denver and ski Breckenridge on the weekends.

Get yourself to Aspen. Short term, long term, whatever, figure that out after you get there. It's worth the jump.

dood, you said it wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Assssppenn has some of the best restaurants in the country.

I think if you are single and have no obligations, Aspen is a no brainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    I think if you are single and have no obligations, Aspen is a no brainer.
    Hey man, people are saying that Im you, wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Aspen has some of the best restaurants in the country.
    This is true but there are only a handful and Aspen has no ethnic food at all.....big cities have endless varieties, cheap deals etc... that Aspen lacks. Sure you can get good bar menus here but the few good bar menus get pretty tiring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    This is true but there are only a handful and Aspen has no ethnic food at all.....big cities have endless varieties, cheap deals etc... that Aspen lacks. Sure you can get good bar menus here but the few good bar menus get pretty tiring after a while.
    werd.

countdown to digression........5........4......3........2...... 1.....

Move to Aspen.

I lived here, left, moved back. This is one of the best towns in the USA. You can find anything you want around this valley.

If you have job, get here now. These times are the most affordable Aspen has seen for 20 years.

Still undecided.

I'd rather not disclose what I do for a living as I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people in the office checked out this site. But, I can say it is a good career with lots of room to be creative and feel fulfilled at the end of the day. That said, getting a second job is out of the question as long hours can be common.

Hell, people here are making Denver sound like Kansas City. Either way, I feel lucky to have opportunities and options at this time, and in such a great place. I just wish I could find "the balance."

Honestly, living in a basement, paying 2k a month doesn't sound very appealing. You could also look at it I suppose as having a good job with decent salary and lower cost of living could allow for vacations abroad and what not.

Being a rich kid helps alot too, something nobody ever seems to mention. There are no trustfunders in the ski towns of the West, be hard to find a single trusty kid here on these forums. All the trust kids I've known in 20 years of ski country have never admitted it.

How many days a week will you be able to ski out your door or are you going to be looking at the ski hill out your door and only going twice a week.
    Last edited by Jong 3:16; 04-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Best choice I ever made was moving to Summit. By direct inference, Aspen must be 10x better. DO IT!

Although, I'll say even around double that salary in Summit county you're not living very well...

I moved out of Silverthorne in 1992. Too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Close, but I think it's "Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart - You just got to poke around."

love this one

Silt = the New Basalt.

$45k per year is like $22.5k in Aspen. Nevertheless, I say Fuck it, live in Aspen. .0001% of the population (or, 01% of TGR can say they've done the same.) You have the rest of your life to dogpile for the almighty $$$.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Close, but I think it's "Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart - You just got to poke around."

hippie...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you have never lived in a mountain town, you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl. Yes, career opportunities may not be as good, yes, financially it may be a struggle, but there are 2 possible outcomes.

1) You find yourself, you feel at home, and you never leave. WIN!
    2) Maybe you find yourself and feel at home, but decide you can't handle the financial struggle, or maybe you just eventually decide it isn't for you. But I guarantee you this: you will not regret the time spent in Aspen. WIN!

The only reason to not give it a shot is if you have lived in a mountain town and aren't sure you want to return.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My friend, and best ski buddy Heather has a condo in Basalt. She works in Martha's Vineyard June, July and Aug. She'd rent it furnished
    for the summer for $1200/mo. If you wanna take the job but look around a couple months it might be a good fit. Reply if interested.
    Whip

Not sure how old you are Mitch, but I know we chased the $ for a bit before deciding that wasn't for us. The laid back lifstyle that living in the mountains provides is worth more than any paycheck. Agree with Danno, why not do it?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Jong 3:16 View Post
    Being a rich kid helps alot too, something nobody ever seems to mention. There are no trustfunders in the ski towns of the West, be hard to find a single trusty kid here on these forums. All the trust kids I've known in 20 years of ski country have never admitted it.
    Goddamn that's so right on. Some peoples' parents...

Mitch, I too say give Asssspppenn a whirl. No way will you regret it... you'll bag banger pow days and that will be radical. Just don't plan on copious amounts of lady lovin, that is, unless you have the trust fund, a ski-in ski-out condo, and an 8-ball.
    Denver ain't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    Aspen is an amazing place - I have enjoyed the best skiing and biking in my life, am more in shape than I ever have been, have met some friends that I will have for the rest of my life and most important, met a girl who I will probably marry.....

Good for you Raps! I know at least three other people that have posted in this thread, including myself, that also found the girl of their dreams in Aspen.

I left for many of the reasons you mentioned. Now I make lots of money and have a ton of shit. But I am not sure if it was really worth it. I often think about what would have happened if I had stayed?
    I really miss living in Aspen.

I would try to stick it out at least a few more years. Right now the job market sucks, if your going to be poor, might as well be in poor in Aspen!

My wife and I have been in Aspen for almost 4 years now and all I can say is you'll never know until you try it. Some people come and then go, some live here, leave and then come back and some never leave. Living here is all about tradeoff's but that is true of anywhere you live, you should at least try it.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 04-22-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Aspen really seems like a no-brainer on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Good for you Raps! I know at least three other people that have posted in this thread, including myself, that also found the girl of their dreams in Aspen.

I left for many of the reasons you mentioned. Now I make lots of money and have a ton of shit. But I am not sure if it was really worth it. I often think about what would have happened if I had stayed?
    I really miss living in Aspen.

I would try to stick it out at least a few more years. Right now the job market sucks, if your going to be poor, might as well be in poor in Aspen!
    Well said, Karl!

I met my wife there as well, left to follow a career path, and kick myself every day for such a dumb move! Adam and Jane are my heros, as are chris/jackie, jay/his wife, and so on...

Oh well, I can drink budweiser and go to cardinals games and get fat, so I've got that going for me.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi