Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mushmouth's Saltwater Log 2009 (SLog)

Doesn't ring like 'blog", but it's the same deal...

I wanted a place to review my season when it's over and so that's what this thread is about. Last year was limited due to our daughter being born, but this spring and summer I'm going as all out as someone living in NYC with a full time job, 1year old baby and pregnant wife can go. The fall run will hopefully be cut short for baby #2 (finger's crossed), but we'll jump that rock when we get to it.

I'd rather do it here than one of the fishing websites because 1) I like coming here better, and 2) there are only a few Northeastern-ers here and I didn't want to hear a bunch of babies whine about spot burning.

Also, please forgive me in advance for any drunken posts, seemingly meaningless code or other nonsense...it's all going in here because I want to reflect on the days as they happened, not as I want to remember them.

ok.

Spring fishing started early in the Hudson.

Trip1: March 22, 2009
    WT: 45-46deg
    Tide: 4 hours around low
    Most casts from 12-2, white bubble and a bit right.
    Non-stop fish from 16-24inches
    Died as incoming picked up.
    Initial Post: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155267

Trip2: April 4, 2009
    WT: 46-48deg
    Tide: 4hrs AL
    Ditto above
    fish larger, max 25-26inches.
    First sign of cats.

Speaking of cats, about 6 cop cars in the lot when I got back. young cop grilled me about where I was and what I was doing...probably just practicing. apparently there were "vermin" in the area. that many cops for a racooon doesn't make sense. local news reported residents claim spotting "large cats, possibly panther or ??? in the area...uhhm

Trip3/4: April 10&11, 2009
    WT: 47-48deg
    Tide: 4H AL and 2/3 into outgoing

Walk out through reeds done with knife and rock in hand..."large cat" report freaked me out a little...

day 1, Cat's and perch take over lower tides. First thought was that fish probably moved up the Hudson due to warmer than normal water temps.
    day 2, came at higher tide, casting left had largest fish of spring. As tide went out cats and perch moved in. time to either move farther up river or out. This likely signals the end of the lower Hudson, for me at least.
    Photos:

end of Hudson 2009...
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Moved out of Hudson and tried PBP in LI Sound, tip of that island.

Fly fishing only this trip and did not expect much as the water is still probably a bit cold. Warm day on Friday made me hopeful.

Trip5: April 18, 2009
    WT: Have to check...mid-40's likely.
    Tide: Outgoing, likely bottom 2/3
    Most casts to small island on right. dead calm. Nothing for 1.5 hours then...
    Pay attention!:

Strike:

How do i do this again???

Ohfuuuck:

No idea what it was. could have been a flatfish or striper. pretty happy just to know something is alive in the area. This was more fun than all prior to the Hudson. Lots of casting. very rusty and i think i basically suck at fly fishing in general, but feeling that thing grab and run was so much fun.

Mush... pure awesomeness, as always.

Thanks 72T.
    It would have been so much better getting an ID though...I'm still thinking about what it was...could it have been an early blue? or flounder, to cut the line so quickly or was there just enough lack of user skill to mishandle the pressure ...

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Thanks 72T.
    It would have been so much better getting an ID though...I'm still thinking about what it was...could it have been an early blue? or flounder, to cut the line so quickly or was there just enough lack of user skill to mishandle the pressure ...
    py knots.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    py knots.
    Actually, it was really because i went to press the stupid "Tag" button on my wrist for the POV1.5 (...i couldn't help myself ) in loop mode and fukt it all up when the fish tugged at the exact same time.

Actually, it was really because i went to press the stupid "Tag" button on my wrist for the POV1.5 (...i couldn't help myself ) in loop mode and fukt it all up when the fish tugged at the exact same time.
    I just ordered my 1.5 head (keep the .1 head as a spare)

Trip6: April 26, 2009
    WT: No clue, must be chilly, but above avg.
    AT: Hot. 70's in the morning.
    Tide: Incoming. 2/3 near high.
    Time: 6am - 8:30am

Was in RI for the wedding of a cousin. Took it easy at the wedding and was out the door by 6 or so. Went deep into the harbor, behind WYC, through moorings, to the right. At 2/3 high water was avg 4 ft in center. no problem motoring in w/engine down. Later learned that about 100 more yards, short of large outcrop, that rocks start to appear near surface...careful next time.

Saw schools of bait fish pushing dead calm waters going in with the tide. Cast to them, nothing doing. Cast a popper towards the banks (mud bottom) and third cast saw a swirl and cast to it...pop...pop...BOOM (as boom as a schoolie can go)

As mentioned in another post, got it all on the POV...with the lens cap on, F.M.L.

Screen shots of underwater schoolie:

Pre-splash:

Basically a success. Earliest striper caught in WH, things looking good for memorial day weekend.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 04-29-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Water temps up the bay are damn near 50!

Yes! This is going to be an absolutely awesome thread. Great work so far, can't wait for more.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Trip7: April 28, 2009
    WT: Rising fast
    AT (ollie wiliams): It's hot!
    Tide: Outgoing, low at 8:50am
    Time: 6am - 7:15am

First pre-work attempt and a sign that I'm infected. If it worked, it would mean a huge loss of productivity at work from 3-6pm.

Up at 5am, out of the garage at 5:30am, into Orchard Beach lot by 5:50am and on the island by 6:05am. Sunrise was scheduled at 6:10am or so, but still plenty of light. Next time can plan for 40 minutes earlier, but I think the lot was closed, at least that's what the "do not enter" temporary fences must have meant, but they should really extend across the whole entrance if they mean it.

<edit for fixed frame grab software>
    Sunrise cast:

Strike:

Almost there:

It really was too small to show, but made it all very worthwhile.

When the tide went out I was able to cross this bar to a tiny rock island.

The clams were squirting:

There's nothing like clam squirt hitting your bare balls mid-step to confirm you'll take a shower before work.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 04-29-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Fish the corners/chokepoints.

<EDIT> Photos updated above.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    Fish the corners/chokepoints.
    Yeah, it's a weird area with a lot of shallows and a few drop offs. this rock is actually as much of a corner as you can get at this tide in the area with deep enough water. In a couple of weeks I expect this area to heat up significantly. We'll see...

Trip8: May 1, 2009
    WT: I've got to start checking...
    AT: Cooled off...maybe 60deg
    Tide: Outgoing, two hours from high.
    Time: 5:30am - 7:00am
    Rainy, with wind from SW 10-12maybe

Another pre-work trip. This time up earlier,4:30am, out of the garage at 5:00am. Arrive at OB to a barracaded lot...shit. I guess they mean it this time. Loop around several times until park dept. person departs and leaves gate open. Finally get into lot by 5:30am.

Tried the flyrod for 20min, nothing. Tried the spinning rod for 20min, nothing. Figure I'd spend the next 20min practicing casting. 6:55am rolls around and actually said out loud..."fuck...ok, last cast..." strip...strip....striiiip...is that weed? Nope...

Larger fish than last time with a fat belly too. Length was about top of knee to ground. Fight was still sluggish...still early.

Note to self...pressing TAG half way through a tagged loop, thinking you'll extend to another loop to get 30 seconds of underwater footage does not in fact make that happen. IT STOPS THE CURRENT LOOP and YOU GOT NOTHING

Mush... awesome.

Couple questions...

How do you wear your cam? On your head like headband style? If so, what type of headband? I have a cheaper helmet cam that I use skiing and it came with a rubber headband strap, much like what you would have on a snorkel mask. Extremely uncomfortable and the camera wobbles. I tried wearing it over my hat. Any suggestions? No, I am not going fishing in my ski helmet.

Also, do you ever use a stripping basket? I was thinking of using one while stillwater fishing with my heavier rods (casting long distances) in the lakes here. Are they an advantage? Pain in the ass?

Thanks!

Edit:

Here is a frame grab from another video camera of me with my ghetto set-up. Seriously, I have to have it so tight so that it doesn't move very much it hurts to wear.

Last edited by 72Twenty; 05-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.

The POV1.5 cam came with an option for hats using magnets:

In the past I used a head lamp strap, one with a third strap going over the head so i didn't have to worry about it falling down. Same deal as you though...it hurt after awhile.

I only use a basket when I can't control the line, like in waves, moving water, or on jetties where the line falls down cracks. Basically any place where the basket would be less a pain than where line would lay naturally. I know it looks like a shitshow in the clip, but that's because I've moved from where I was originally casting. I mostly think they're a p.i.t.a. and avoid them whenever I can.

My basket obviously sucks, but I think Likwid liked something called a hip shooter so much he wanted to take it behind the school and get it pregnant.

Ok, you are motivating me to bring my cam along this weekend. I can't guarantee any fish and I will only have a couple hours to get out, but I am going to give it a go. My POV is waterproof too, so maybe I can try some underwater stuff with it. The weather is supposed to be crappy though (flat light). Rain/snow, overcast and highs in the 40's. Underwater footy may not turn out very well with poor light.

I'll start my own sweet blog with it.

I haven't been slacking..just getting skunked. Two trips last week, one a pre-work charter in Jbay run by a great guide named John Mcmurray from "One More Cast"
    http://www.nycflyfishing.com/2009%20...%20Reports.htm

If you scroll down to the prior week, you'll see our mention of "the exception" to a great weak. Fuuuuuck. Next time. Check out the video link in there with a good fish slurping a popper...good footage.

I'm going to put some of the images from there in this slot, but i'm screwing around with a trial of Vegas9Pro and can't do much rendering at the moment.
    EDIT TO ADD VIDEO OF THE FULL DAY:

It's all good though because I'm taking a "personal day" to get in the window of good weather tomorrow and will be fishing all fucking day. I could not be more psyched. One more glass of wine and that's it...must be ok at 5am...
    Last edited by mushmouth; 07-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.

i suck at fishing...

I'm with ya. Maria rod has caught many a small fish, none worthy of a photo.

Tomorrow is another day, but I am afraid the fish might be too much for Maria. She will get thrown a little in the early am. Then it is on to Tarpon and Kings.

Trip 11: May 15, 2009
    WT: Beats me...I'll go with warmer than last week
    AT: 60-75, morning to evening
    Tide: 1/3 low to high
    Time: 6am - 4:30pm
    Day started out foggy, but burned off. Gorgeous day by the end. Light wind, tons of menhaden flipping around, but only saw one predator rush them.

Fog:

Menhaden flip sequence:

Bait in the water (which led to the buying of a polarized filter...$$drain continues)

This was a tough day. Lots of casts, everything appeared right, but there just were not many, if any fish on the bait yet. Big menhaden too, seemingly too big for schoolie fish.

Early in the day, near the bottom of the tide, I had on and lost a fish which at least took me to the reel...first time this year. Of course, no footage of this. Later had what looked to be a big blue take a swipe and miss near the rocks...ditto.

Frustrating day. Too long spent in the same area not catching anything. must have more options for this time of year.

Trip 12 coming right up...

My basket obviously sucks, but I think Likwid liked something called a hip shooter so much he wanted to take it behind the school and get it pregnant.
    I bounce back and forth between the mangrove hipshooter and llbean that I got for nothing from a local guide.

You need some Korkers wading boots, those rocks are sketch dude.

Need I remind you:

Last edited by likwid; 05-18-2009 at 08:31 AM.

^^^ugh...lucky it wasn't your head.

I went with the shoe

...and got the full on spiked soles (not the studded felt) for them. I've gone with korkers strapped on teva sandals before and never had an ankle roll...yet.

Weekpaug on the downsloping rocks, I'm lucky I didn't break that leg. Getting extracted off of there wouldn't have been fun.

Trip 12: May 17, 2009
    WT: ?????!
    AT: low 60's
    Tide: 2/3 to dead low
    Time: 7am - 11:30am
    Wind: SW 20-30kts

Windy as fuck, thankfully out of SW (from behind left shoulder for PBP) which made it castable, but barely. Smacked myself in the back of the head with a big menhaden fly on the first cast...first time i've done that...it hurts more than I thought it would. Definitely rip a hole in your ear if you're not careful.

Despite the wind, had better luck than Friday. Menhaden still flopping around, yet still no visible predators. Hooked...

and landed one small schoolie:

which might as well have been a slob with my recent "luck". Got some underwater pictures as well I'll put on tonight.

This is how I know I suck at fly fishing, but don't tell me you've never been in this position either!
    The old "Behind the Head" for the landing:

Missed a swipe from a small blue virtually at my feet and hooked up with, but lost, another small striper while dragging the fly to the surface to prepare for another cast...note to self...it's never over till the fly is out of the water.

Also, tested the RIO outbound short floating...sick line. Two casts and it's out:

Edit to add that fish today were hooked on self-tied olive clouser w/red eyes, two versions.
    Fish from Friday in channel hooked on olive/white multi color streamer.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 05-18-2009 at 10:11 AM.