Are you smarter then a Jewish fifth grader?

Probably not. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...8.story?page=1

The LA Times reports on a possible link between intelligence and several genetic diseases common in the European Jews. Basically it says they were selected for increased intelligence during the middle ages by an increase in genes that have to do with fat storage in nerves. With that came certain diseases related to improper fat metabolism in the central nervous system. A close analogy is with sickle cell anemia and malaria protection. It is good to have one gene (protection from malaria, increased intelligence), but bad to have two copies (SCA, Tay-Sachs, Niemann-Pick and other diseases.)

Genetic intelligence is always a hot button topic becasue of racial implications, but this has some meat to it. Next thing you know they will find a link between TGR posts and penis size. (Let's just hope it is not a reverse correlation)

Maybe Jews are god's chosen people after all

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

We are. Game over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    We are. Game over.
    He sure has a funny way of showing it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    We are. Game over.
    How do you square that with the meek inheriting?
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Probably not. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...8.story?page=1

The LA Times reports on a possible link between intelligence and several genetic diseases common in the European Jews. Basically it says they were selected for increased intelligence during the middle ages by an increase in genes that have to do with fat storage in nerves. With that came certain diseases related to improper fat metabolism in the central nervous system. A close analogy is with sickle cell anemia and malaria protection. It is good to have one gene (protection from malaria, increased intelligence), but bad to have two copies (SCA, Tay-Sachs, Niemann-Pick and other diseases.)

Genetic intelligence is always a hot button topic becasue of racial implications, but this has some meat to it. Next thing you know they will find a link between TGR posts and penis size. (Let's just hope it is not a reverse correlation)

okay this seems as good of a time to ask this as any- hopefully someone here with greater knowledge can clear this up.

i've always thought judiasm was a religion, NOT a race... but if it is just a religion, then how can it have genetic traits? can someone be secular and still be jewish?

there are 2 kinds, conflicted and converted!

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    i've always thought judiasm was a religion, NOT a race...
    It's not a race...more like an ethnicity.

Except when it's more convenient to have it be solely a religion.

okay this seems as good of a time to ask this as any- hopefully someone here with greater knowledge can clear this up.

i've always thought judiasm was a religion, NOT a race... but if it is just a religion, then how can it have genetic traits? can someone be secular and still be jewish?
    It's a tribe.

As the article notes, jews traditionally (over 1,000 years) did not marry outside the religion, migrated together and, because of persecution, the group was contained.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    How do you square that with the meek inheriting?
    that from an English person? I'm huDge.

I believe this is a non-causal relationship. Yes, a lot of Easter-Eurpean Jews have intestinal problems (like my Mom!), but it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that Jews as a culture encourage education and intellectual thinking. Just like Asians!
    And we control everything.
    Just like Asians!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I thought the genetic diseases being referred to were restricted to a particular subset of Jews (I can't recall the correct tribal term for them right now) who lived in modern diaspora communities in Eastern Europe and Asia Minor during the middle ages. I think the argument is that that is when the gene pool got real shallow.

That is where the argument comes from. The Jews of the old testament that someone was referring to above were a culturally and genetically different bunch from the ones who have genetic diseases and <3 investment banking.

All that having been said, if rontele and stuckathuntermtn are jewish, that pretty much balances out any smart Jews who may or may not exist.

Ashkanasi. (check spelling). But, basically White Jews. And yes, the gene pool got pretty shallow. Brown Jews from the Middle East and Spain are known as Saphardic. (again, check spelling).
    BeanDip: There once was a race of people known as the Hebrews. Their traditions and culture and what became their religion is Judaism. I'm fairly atheist, and pretty agnostic, but I still identify myself as Jewish because my parents are, their parents were, etc. So I mean it in a genetic way, but I'm pretty white. Eastern European Jews are basically white people, so some mixing must have happened. I mean, I am really white. Like Weird Al's White and Nerdy is my theme song.
    I definitely grew up in a way that would make me Jewish, even if it was very light. I wasn't Bar Mitzfa'd but I went to this Sunday school that I don't remember anything from. (It was Sunday morning, I was barely awake!). We always went to people's Passover seders and lit candles on Hanuka. Funny thing is I had a stocking when I was like 5 and my Mom's birthday is on the 24th so we usually exchanged presents then.
    Oh, now I remember the word for it. Assimilated Jew.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    All that having been said, if rontele and stuckathuntermtn are jewish, that pretty much balances out any smart Jews who may or may not exist.
    Fuck you, dude.
    No longer stuck.

Are you smarter then a Jewish fifth grader?

Probably not.
    Definitely not if you aren't sure whether to use THAN vs THEN.