Multiple mounts?

OK, so I know this kid who's unloading a classic ski that I've always been a huge fan of. There's really no way to buy a set new. The skis are cheap ~$100 and are in great shape, but the thing holding me back is they've been mounted twice. By the time I'm using them it will be their third mount. I don't really "need" this ski, but you know how it goes.

What say you tech geniuses of multiple mounts? Will the ski break? Does it mess with the way it skis? Anything you can offer up in this scenario?

It depends on how much you weigh, whether the ski is a foam core or not (I'm hoping not), and how close together the holes from the previous two mounts are. If they are spaced decently (i.e. 1cm or more) apart, then you should be able to get away with a 3rd set of holes.

Oh, and I guess the make and model of these skis is a secret, eh?

Thanks for the info. They're wood core. The previous binders were Looks (don't know about hole spacing yet). I'll be using sollys.

If I give the name of the ski somebody could search the interweb and swipe the deal out from under me.

You'll be fine. Get 'em.

Glademaster is right on.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If the ski has a metal layer, it will not be an issue, so long as there is no overlap in the mount holes. If it isn't, it'll still probably be OK.

As a sidebar, one time it was slow in the shop and I wanted to see how much binding mount holes weaken a ski. I took a bent Rossi 7XK and started drilling holes. After drilling, I put the ski between two supports at the tip and tail and tried jumping on it until it broke (I'm 5-10, 170lb). If it didn't break, I drilled more holes.

This ski survived six mounts until if finally broke (broke on the seventh). Note that this only tests the relative strength of a given ski in bending only (not torsion), but should quantify the relative strength of a metal-layed ski.

Additionally to GM's comments make sure the previous holes are sealed properly up front. This is even far more important that the actual distance between old and new holes or kind of core because the seals are mainly what reinforces most of the resistance against bending. With that your third mount should not be an issue.
    Last edited by Hicks; 09-06-2004 at 07:05 AM.