Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Robert Johnson, eos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    edit: Ooh, Iceman deletes his smarmy remark, what is the meaning of this?!
    Just tired of this debate, didn't want to get sucked back in. It wasn't really smarmy, more "world-weary".

I'm not gonna argue it again, but here's a tiny tiny fraction of Danny Gatton:

and a little jeff Beck, just for fun,

Last edited by iceman; 04-18-2009 at 10:53 PM.

I saw Michael Hedges in the late 80's. Great show. I like guitarists who may not be "perfect" but who play with feel (Duane Allman, Lowell George, Mark Knopfler, etc.) much more than the mathy techy nerdrock of Zappa, Vai, Ingwie, and Buckethead.

Never saw why everybody at one time thought Clapton was god. Cream was rad, but it was the sum of the parts. Duane was the best part of Layla.

Yngwie actually has a pretty cool vibrato, but the over-the-top ridiculousness of everything else kind cancells it out. His tone sucks too.

Nobody has mentioned Steve Howe yet?

Hendrix was different from everything. You couldn't tell when Jimi stopped and the guitar started.

im gonna throw this out there cause some guitar playing friends are giving him respect... John Mayer.

I'm catching grief because I named Eric Clapton as one of my top 5. To the doubters, I remind you of his 3 bands: Yardbirds, Cream and Derek and the Dominos. He is the only person to be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame 3X. The dude is diversified. He is a great blues musician, as well as funk and Reggae. Whether doing short licks in songs like "Cocaine", or 15 minute riffs in tunes like "The Tales of Great Ulysses", this dude does it all.

Certainly not as exciting as Jimi or Duane, but still top drawer.

Stevie Ray Vaughn also needs to be mentioned.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Smokey McPole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    He is the only person to be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame 3X.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Check it:

Jimi was the greatest ever. Nearly every survey supports this. What he did in a few years on the guitar and for the guitar was stratospheric. Personally, I prefer Page's work but I'll give Jimi the edge.

The whole "play super fast and you're the best" is dumb.
    However Friday Night In San Francisco (the original live version of "Mediterranean...") w/ the McLaughlin/Delucia/Dimeola is out of hand.

No one for Holdsworth? I don't really like his music but the dude plays Coltrane shit on a guitar.

My favorite guitarist is Kurt Rosenwinkel.

M

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    this guy is ok i guess

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    The whole "play super fast and you're the best" is dumb.
    I can name one guy who plays faster now than he ever used to and his level of suckitude has gone up exponetially: Zak Wylde

His solos (and everything else) were amazing on that Pride and Glory album. Then he started up Black Label Society. The music got a lot shittier and the solos got a lot faster and more meaningless. Now he pretty much just plays random 64th notes. Horrible.

Hedrix's best stuff was when he'd bend a note like he was bending an iron bar - total power. Like his Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) solo. Same with Zak and the middle of Horse Called War. 10,000,000 notes does not equal greatness.

^^^ Zakk loses me every time he touches the whammy bar, which is about 82 times a second.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    ^^^ Zakk loses me every time he touches the whammy bar, which is about 82 times a second.
    Actually, that's more than likely his ultra-wide finger vibrato. Although I haven't listened to him lately - I know he uses some really ugly guitar with a vibrato bar now so he may very well be a whammy-bar junkie. He used to play Les Pauls back when I actually liked his style.

The question sucks, because you can't answer it. There's so many incredible guitarists doing a million different styles.

timmy has chops.
    Last edited by Poop~Ghost; 04-20-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Metheney and Di Meola are definitely rad. +1 for those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    The question sucks, because you can't answer it. There's so many incredible guitarists doing a million different styles.
    true that... some are just incomparable to others

steve morse

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post
    steve morse
    I used to really like him, but for some reason whenever I listen to the Dixie Dregs now I want to kill kittens.