Wrong fork received - WWMD

I'm upgrading the front end on my XC bike, and I bought a Pike 454 off of ebay. The fork was advertised as the Air U-turn model, which was what I wanted, and I paid a good but not outrageously good price for it. The fork showed up yesterday, and its the coil U-turn version. I contacted the seller, and it sounds like it was an honest mistake (something to do with RS sending her the wrong fork back after a warranty).

I proposed that either I keep the fork and she gives me some money back, or I ship it back to her for a full refund (including my shipping costs both ways). She agreed to either, and with the "I keep the fork" option, the money back is substantial enough to make it worthwhile.

So WWMD? I like the adjustability (and weight savings) of the air, but its a lot easier to just keep the coil version. Are there any other downsides / upsides to the coil Pikes (maintenance issues, etc.)? Should I just stop being a whiny bitch and be happy with my new toy?

probably less issues with coil vs air. Only queers ride air forks, unless its a 36, then you are not queer. I still miss the plushness of my coil. I have 2 friends with the coil pikes and they are decent forks, no issues in thier usage.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

i quite dislike the air fork, if you can deal with the extra weight (not much) it is probably a better fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

figger out your priorities -- xc vs rougher XC/trailriding.

if having a 25 lb bike is important to you, then by all means go air.

but the coil u-turn pike is a classic -- in the best sense of the word. not unusual to see cost-no-object 5.5 inch trailbikes (ventana, turner etc) rocking the coil pike, since most who've owned both prefer the ride quality of the coil -- not to mention the outstanding reliability of the coil version.

but yeah, the coil version is heavier. for that kind of weight you can have a 160 mm travel 36 mm stanchion air fork (lyrik, float 36) if you give up travel adjust.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

stick with the coil pike, get a reduction in the purchase price from the seller since he led you to believe it was the air model, which sells for more.

there's almost no weight difference between the coil and air if I remember correctly... I'd say that for your purposes it is more a function of the air = no spring swapping, thus more easily tune-able to your weight, style, etc.

you're going to dig it.

++++++

frorider -- I've ridden with toast-master, he's an ass-hauler who descends quicker than most people I know, with more style and control as well. he's also strong on the climbs. he's an ideal Super D race candidate.

cool, thanks guys. Sounds like I'll stick with the coil (assuming I can get the seller to actually give me some money back).

Now all I need is for the trails to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    Only queers ride air forks,
    *smootch*
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

For what it is worth, I've been pleased with my coil Pike and I don't even ahve the right spring yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Now all I need is for the trails to dry out.
    le montagne bleu

plenty of dryness last Thurs. I'm Snaking it this afternoon.

^^^ cool. Looks like my excuses to not ride have officially run out.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^ cool. Looks like my excuses to not ride have officially run out.
    it's a dull ride to Blue from your shack, but the trails are dry all the way up to the Hayes moto trailhead and the look of things from my house is that the snowline is pretty danged high right now. of course you can't get to the fire lookout tower yet without trudging through snow, but that's typical for mid-April. it gets better when the Bowl Overlook trail in the Snake is dry enough to make an effort, and that should be possible in the next 2 weeks. be grateful we're not in Bozo, my friend Neil had a foot of new snow in his yard yesterday.

I like my pike coil but the air is substantially lighter and the progressive feel is generally good in my eyes. I'd go to your LBS and find out what it would cost to order an air kit(it can be done even if they say it can't), then get that amount of money back from her. Then you have the coil to keep just in case you don't like the air.

Sounds like this weekend is supposed to be pretty warm and sunny, so that should expedite the melting / drying process. A quick spin around Blue with the dog might be just what I need.

A little late i know, but the coil kicks so much ass. You made a good choice.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I have a Coil U-turn on my 6.6, and it's a damn good fork. I prefer the ride over anything air I've tried.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Voice of dissent...

I absolutely love and I mean LOVE my 454 Air U-turn. It's plush, stiff, light, bomber, and pretty much everything I could ever want in a 140mm fork. I'm sure the coil is nice and all, but I can't imagine having a better fork.

Oh and I'm 6'1" 225...not exactly light...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Wait, it's dry enough to ride around here? Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Voice of dissent...

I absolutely love and I mean LOVE my 454 Air U-turn. It's plush, stiff, light, bomber, and pretty much everything I could ever want in a 140mm fork. I'm sure the coil is nice and all, but I can't imagine having a better fork.

Oh and I'm 6'1" 225...not exactly light...

I'll second this.
    If you open a second beer and don't miss a beat between sips, is that two beers or just one 24 ouncer? -Tye 1on

I went ahead and mounted up the coil. I took it out for a maiden voyage yesterday. Initial impressions:

-It tracks nicely; a bit stiffer torsionally than the QR fork it replaced.

-I need a softer spring. I'm 150lbs, and the medium / red seems a bit stiff for me. If the fork didn't have a lockout, I might consider keeping the current spring, but since I can eliminate bobbing on climbs with the flip of a switch, I want something softer. I also tend to run my suspension pretty soft. Right now, the fork doesn't seem at all balance with the rear shock.

-Having a lockout / travel adjust is really nice. Especially the travel adjust.

-The fork still feels like it needs to break in a bit. It doesn't feel as smooth as it seems like it should.

thought about trying a different (lighter) oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

that'll be the next step if it still doesn't feel right with the new spring.

Get the right spring for sure. Makes all the difference in the world.