Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk to me About Maine Please....

I was born and mostly bred in Maine, Yarmouth to be exact. Pretty much left Maine for good when I was 16 - boarding school, then college, then Boston, and I have spent the last 5 1/2 years in Jackson.

I still have a lot of family back there and am seriously starting to think about moving back there - most likely around the Portland Area. I would love to be back near family and also the ocean.

I am a little worried about a few things some of which may sound quite stupid.

First, it seems like there are very few places to walk the dog off leash. He is used to hikes, mountain bike rides, etc every day off leash and definitely want to make sure his lifestyle continues. Is this possible there? I only know of one dog park and Mackworth Island which has a leash law. Will I be driving a lot to make sure this happens?

Two, the only friends I still have back there are not skiers, not that interested in hiking or camping and getting outside. Is everybody like this and married with 2.3 kids now (I am 31) or are there people (which I am sure there are) who are into these things?

Three, areas to live? I was thinking Portland, South Portland, Maybe Cape and Yarmouth but am starting to think I want somewhere a bit more rural (chickens and garden are a must) Any thoughts on where?

Thanks for any input -
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Maine: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the sheep are scared.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLeagueBrian View Post
    Maine: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the sheep are scared.
    That pretty much sums it up. My stepfather swears the only place he has actually seen a moose in Maine is on Scarborough Beach.

Well chickens in Portland or South Portland is gonna be problematical. Maine is still a very rural state, there's lots of places where you could let your dog run, but if it bothers some farmer's livestock it might get shot. There's a lot of people interested in the outdoors, I don't think that would be a problem. If you get a map and go to mainelistings.com you can get a good feel for what's available in terms of real estate. Generally, the closer to Portland and the closer to the ocean or a big lake means the more expensive. The search feature on Mainelistings is good, you can really narrow things down.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-15-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Born and raised in Wells Beach, and yes, I am right there with you on missing the ocean, family, etc. My suggestions:

1. Plenty of places to run the dog off leash. If you are set on living in or around Portland, then it may be a bit more difficult. The trouble with Maine is that there are a lot of trails that are either unpublished or unheard of, whereas here in the Rocky Mountain region they overpublicize the many trails and dog friendly locations.

2. Look at places 20 miles off the beaten path (I95) and/or away from the coastline and your rent or mortgage will be roughly 40% less. Be careful about moving too far north though as your employment opportunities will be limited to either the paper industry/logging or farming. Have you thought about working for the state parks division or some sort of forest service job? Many opportunities further up north, and the recreational possibilities are endless.

3. I think finding ski/hiking/backpacking/climbing/etc. partners and friends is a lot more challenging in Maine than it is here out west. I guess you just gotta get connected with outdoors groups and go from there.

I'm hoping to make it back there someday when I finally decided to settle down and retire. Beautiful state, quiet, and friendly people.

Haven't spent much time up there other than the odd backpacking/canoe trip, but how about the Farmington area? Buddy of mine went to college there and really dug it. Plus good access to skiing at Sugarloaf and backcountry in the Bigelows.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Haven't spent much time up there other than the odd backpacking/canoe trip, but how about the Farmington area? Buddy of mine went to college there and really dug it. Plus good access to skiing at Sugarloaf and backcountry in the Bigelows.
    Thought about that and also the Camden area. Parents have a cabin in Rangeley so hopefully can make much use of that but need to be around the Portland area due to work - that is if I can get a job in my field.

I guess I am most concerned about the loss of lifestyle moving back. The weekends skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc, and the whole western mountain town vibe.

I know it's a trade off and would gain being close to family, a hell of a lot more affordable housing, better job opportunities, and the ocean. Guess still trying to figure out what is most important to me and to be honest - I currently don't have a clue.

Thanks for the input - it's much appreciated.

There's a couple of couples in their early 30s that I know in S.Portland, ME - both couples are cool as fuck and like the outdoors. One of the dudes used to work for the Appalachian Mountain Club, not an extremo org by any stretch, but he and his buds got out in the woods a ton. The other couple lives on a tiny island and is re-doing their house in a very awesome way. They all seem happy there.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by MuleSkinner View Post
    Thought about that and also the Camden area. Parents have a cabin in Rangeley so hopefully can make much use of that but need to be around the Portland area due to work - that is if I can get a job in my field.

I guess I am most concerned about the loss of lifestyle moving back. The weekends skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc, and the whole western mountain town vibe.

I know it's a trade off and would gain being close to family, a hell of a lot more affordable housing, better job opportunities, and the ocean. Guess still trying to figure out what is most important to me and to be honest - I currently don't have a clue.

Thanks for the input - it's much appreciated.
    I feel like taking best advantage of what's good in your area is always a good idea. The Maine coastline is one of the best. There are lots of lonely roads for cycling. Endless wilderness, etc. etc. It all depends on how married you are to steep, deep, untracked powder. Not that I haven't skied that in Maine, (once.) I feel like New Englanders as a whole are some of the most outdoorsy people in the country since we are happy to get outside despite the challenging weather. My gf is from southern Maine (near Portland) and her parents spend their free time sea kayaking, gardening, skiing (mostly xc), raising sheep, chickens, etc. Today the weather is not challenging... too bad I have to work :-/

I love coastal maine, but i'm bias. Learn to surf, the life is easy out here.

Plenty of places to walk your dog off leash if your not down there in Northern Mass (Portland and South). Camden is a great area, but Camden Hills is a leashed area but is really a good drive to Portland each day. If you could find work in Augusta that would be a lot better.

There are definitely outdoorsy people all over Maine, but it's a little harder to find them compared to some areas. Sometimes you just have to head out for a run or ride and talk to that one other person you see on the trail. Camden does have a great outdoor shop though, Maine Sport, so it is much easier to find people around there.

Maine is home. I spend all semester even if I am getting great skiing and kayaking thinking about getting back there.

So you are going to be in Maine....but Portland is still not that close the River or the Loaf. Just remember that.

what 2, 2.5 hours to the Loaf from P-town? Not that bad. If you're thinkimg Camden you must not be too worried about working for a living, so check out Castine, Blue Hill, Sedgwick, Stonington etc. as well. No places prettier, imo.

A little further north and it's Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, not a big fan myself. North of that it's both beautiful and pretty cheap but there's no way to make a living. A friend bought a restaurant in Eastport and renovated it. All winter long (which is like 10 months, tourist season is really short) it was drunken Coast guard guys, drunken Indians, and drunken fishermen, he lasted two years, lost a fortune. It's really pretty up there, though

Quote Originally Posted by chiefredpants View Post
    So you are going to be in Maine....but Portland is still not that close the River or the Loaf. Just remember that.
    Very True...

Sunday River is 2 hours or 2 1/2 hours from my parents place. I used to make the early morning drive a lot in high school but will mostly be skiing at the Loaf or my favorite little hill Saddleback which is what 3 1/2? Do have a place to stay up there provided my parents aren't using it or we are all in the mood for a little family time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    what 2, 2.5 hours to the Loaf from P-town? Not that bad. If you're thinkimg Camden you must not be too worried about working for a living, so check out Castine, Blue Hill, Sedgwick, Stonington etc. as well. No places prettier, imo.

A little further north and it's Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, not a big fan myself. North of that it's both beautiful and pretty cheap but there's no way to make a living. A friend bought a restaurant in Eastport and renovated it. All winter long (which is like 10 months, tourist season is really short) it was drunken Coast guard guys, drunken Indians, and drunken fishermen, he lasted two years, lost a fortune. It's really pretty up there, though
    Working for a living is definitely a necessity which is why it most likely will be Portland. I absolutely love that area though. Also, like Damariscotta & Muscongus Bay - spent a great summer working in that area but again - no idea how I would support myself and I am rather fond of eating.

Portland is really cool, look at some of the islands with ferry service (there's quite a few), you could probably let your dog run loose all day on some of them, where's he gonna go?

I spent a lot of last summer in Maine and thought it was pretty rad. I was mostly up near Lubeck about as north on the coast of Maine as you can get, but I hung out in the Bath area some too. Bath/Brunswick seemed pretty cool if you could find a job up there and it felt pretty easy to get out in the country, probably lots of places for a dog I would guess.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Portland is really cool, look at some of the islands with ferry service (there's quite a few), you could probably let your dog run loose all day on some of them, where's he gonna go?
    That is pretty funny you mention that. I have thought about Peaks and there are some great houses for sale on the island.

I am a Maine girl who grew up on boats, taking them to Portland or the Dolphin for breakfast and working in a boatyard since I was 15 and spending every weekend racing on a J29 - would be great to be back that close to the water.

Seriously - I would be quite happy in a little cottage down east where you know everyone and it's a community - just the job thing and supporting yourself gets in the way.

Not much call for an account manager for a creative firm up there....

Peaks is kinda built-up and yuppified, but there's regular service to several of the out-islands, like Long, Cliff or Chebeague (sp?) that's where I'd want to be if I wasn't in a sweet near-waterfront loft in Portland. Taking care of landscaping is overrated.

I live in maine and I've also done the mountain town thing out west. You aren't going to find that vibe anywhere here, mostly because nobody lives in the mountains. Everyone lives on the coast or along 95. What few mountain towns there are are either mill towns or logging towns, neither of which has anything but a sledding scene.

That said portland is probably your best bet for finding an outdoorsy young scene.

I wouldn't choose yarmouth or cape elizabeth unless you want to live in an exec neighborhood next to the people with the aforementioned 2.3 kids. Maybe look at gorham or brunswick? You aren't going to have chickens in portland or south portland.

If you are looking for the western mountain town vibe, try north conway/jackson in NH or any one of a number of small hamlets in VT. Or even lake placid, NY. Those mountains have a critical mass of hikers/skiers etc and crowded well known trails to create an active outdoorsy small town vibe.

Its a bit harder to find people to do stuff here because the population density is so low, 95% of trails are unmarked, and the outdoor stuff is still very unknown except to locals. If you are set on maine, hang around some shops, keep an eye on craigslist for people looking to do stuff or make friends with some resort (sugarloaf) employees. Maybe even do some guided stuff to try and meet people. Sometimes college towns have a higher level of outdoor types. In that case look at brunswick, portland, orono/bangor, farmington. Lewiston and waterville also have colleges but I wouldn't call them college towns.

I wouldn't worry about the leash thing. I never see dogs on leaches except in a city.

Mainer here, north of Portland. City was just named "America's Most Liveable City" by Forbes Magazine Forbes article link

I have lived in Portland (OR), Boston, North Conway, and now coastal Maine. Like it a lot but there are some things that drive me nuts. As for mountain town feel, like someone else said, you won't find it like out west. However, it has a different feel and once you get to know some people it can be as much fun.

If you are going to make frequent trips to the mountains, then living in Cape and South Portland suck (extra time to get out of the city). Suggestions of Gorham (looser college vibe near USM, close to Portland, pretty rural away from Rt 25.) or Brunswick (Bowdoin college, renovated mill projects are cool, possible downside with BNAS closing) are pretty good ones. We chose north of Portland so we could quickly get to Sugarloaf (2 hours door-to-door) and be closer to Mid-Coast/Camden.

Sorry, I am in the married, 2.3 kid realm of mid-30's but still have a strong group of friends (with kids now) who bike, climb and ski. Biking is picking up, Bradbury has made great strides over the past few years, and now Camden scene is picking up the pace with organization and trails. Climbing in North Conway is less than 2 hours away and Camden/Acadia is a longer option. Hiking abounds all over and I never see dogs on leashes, but it is a problem in the city parks of Portland/South Portland/Cape. Skiing depends on the snow - duh - but you have Sugarloaf, Sumday Bigger, and now Saddleback is making strides and creating new trails. BC stuff is certainly lackluster, you have to hunt for it but there are spots to be uncovered once you get into some shop scenes. However, you will drive almost everywhere you want to go whereas I used to hike, bike and ski out the door of my place in North Conway.

Hope it helps, shoot me a PM for more details if you like.

I live in the middle of Yarmouth and have chickens, not on a farm or anything. As long as you don't have roosters and you're nice to your neighbors it isn't a problem.

Edit:

Took me 2:10 minutes to get to Sugarloaf last weekend.
    Last edited by I Dunno; 04-16-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Dunno View Post
    I live in the middle of Yarmouth and have chickens, not on a farm or anything. As long as you don't have roosters and you're nice to your neighbors it isn't a problem.

Edit:

Took me 2:10 minutes to get to Sugarloaf last weekend.
    Where exactly in Yarmouth? Parent's place is on 88 right after the Falmouth town line where they have an ever changing variety of farm animals.

Quote Originally Posted by maine-man View Post
    Mainer here, north of Portland. City was just named "America's Most Liveable City" by Forbes Magazine Forbes article link
    LOL...Worcester is one of the top 15 most liveable cities in the entire country?

Are you fucking kidding me? Wormtown is a depressing shithole. That list has gotta be some kind of April Fools joke.

EPSkis and I currently live in Jackson (NH) and are looking to move closer to Maine, since he is working in the Portland area and his commute is a real bitch.

While looking at places, we have found that Maine is the best place for dogs. There seems to be more space between neighbors. It is also pretty damn cheap compared to NH. The only thing that I really don't like is the commute I will have to work (Bartlett) and the Maine income tax of 8.5%!

Sounds like you are torn between the coast and the mountains. For the activities you seem interested in, it seems that you would be better off
    in Western Maine, towards NH. Of course I am a newbie to the area, so you may be better off disregarding everything I just said.

Either way, best of luck.
    "You got to express what is taboo in you and share your freak with the rest of us, cause it's a beautiful thing"