Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend the Best Laptop for an Elderly Parent?

It's the end of an era. My father, who up until about 6 months ago still voice-dictated to his secretary, asked me today for recommendations on a laptop. I'm bemused, because I don't even think he can type, but proud of him for finally embracing technology and of course I want to help.

Can any of you give me some recommendations as to where to start my research/what kind of machine would be good for him?

Here are the requirements:

- EASY TO READ (this is the biggest as he has a history of mega vision problems, graves disease, etc etc etc. Things like glare and small fonts are going to be major problems here)
    - Easy to use for a COMPLETE computer beginner
    - capable of sending Office documents
    - can go on the internet
    - probably the less fancy "bells and whistles" to mess him up, the better

Price isn't important but nothing crazy, either.

Basically, I think I want "the jitterbug" but a laptop version.

Thank you for any and all thoughts.
    C

I'm beyond terrible with computers, so i think i'm qualified to give some advice: I find macs much more user-friendly than pcs, having used both extensively. Macs are pricy new, but reasonable if you can find a refurbished one. If you think your old man can handle some keyboard shortcuts, apple key and +/= key at the same time makes fonts bigger. You could probably find a 15" powerbook or something of that generation for pretty cheap.

Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about laptops, so there may be a better option. Within the limited range of my experience, though, i would suggest a powerbook.

Maybe a netbook? The screens are small but he can raise the font size, they're cheap, simple, light and offer good battery life. NYTimes review

I would recommend any of these, nice big screens, Vista is easy to use for beginners as it sort of babies you through EVERY single step of the whole computer experience. Not sure if they have office installed on them though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...21%20103980230

Macs are also quite good options for beginner computer users, though they are MUCH more expensive (as in for a Mac similarly equipped to the computers above, you're looking at $2000 easily) and the office documents are a different file type which could prove to be a problem for someone who doesn't know how to use a computer well/at all.

Good luck!

edit: I wouldn't recommend a netbook, they're cheap and would work for the things you're asking, but they are unbelievably tiny and lots of times they come loaded with Linux, which is the most unapproachable mainstream OS you can buy. Then again, they are extremely cheap. If you do get one though, just make sure it doesn't have Linux on it.
    Last edited by belgian; 04-13-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Get him an Apple product. The interface is so much more intuitive, and installing software is a breeze. Yeah you pay a bit more for them, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. PCs IMO are just a headache waiting to happen. At some point, you will want to break your PC. Same can't be said for the stuff Apple puts out.

Apple FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Buy him the largest screened used laptop you can find on Craigslist. Take everything that he wouldn't use off. Make big icons for the rest on the Desktop.

This one should work fine: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/1120100262.html

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by always wright View Post
    If you think your old man can handle some keyboard shortcuts, apple key and +/= key at the same time makes fonts bigger.
    Plus, if he needs the screen to blow up to read something temporarily, he can always "control+mouse scroll wheel". This actually zooms the whole screen instead of increasing font size.

He's pretty set on a laptop? Our IT guy here just bought the new HP desktop, which has a hudge screen, and the PC is part of it, no big box at all. If laptop, all i can offer is that the screen on my 6 month old Dell has a high gloss screen that could be bothersome to him, especially if there is a reflection from bright lights, although I'm not sure if the new LCD might be a lot better.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    Dangit pechelman... not only faster, but even more betta than I was thinking. Arghh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    He's pretty set on a laptop?
    yeah, the whole point behind this purchase is they're now splitting time between OBX and North Conway, so my mom's ancient desktop no longer does the trick.

this:
    is hee-larious.

Yeah, I must be slow or sum'n cuz I don't get it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

elderly parent
    nursing home
    lap cats

lap top
    lap cat

Cruiser=OldFolksHome

Right. That is funneh. I am slow.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post

edit: I wouldn't recommend a netbook, they're cheap and would work for the things you're asking, but they are unbelievably tiny and lots of times they come loaded with Linux, which is the most unapproachable mainstream OS you can buy. Then again, they are extremely cheap. If you do get one though, just make sure it doesn't have Linux on it.
    Umm dude you don't buy Linux... it's open source. Then again, there are versions (or used to be at least, maybe still are) you can "buy", but what you are really paying for is support.
    Linux is a major bitch (usually) to set up and get running, especially in regards to hardware and drivers, but once properly installed, very user friendly. There is no easier OS to find and install new software with. It's by far the most secure OS too. Some of that is "security through obscurity" (ala Mac) and some of it is actual legitimate security.

I think Tipp probably has the best advice, or at least the best concept in mind, I'm not sure I'd go used. Get a laptop with a big screen and if you can find one with a big keyboard. Post purchase customization is where you can make a huge difference in usability.

If you go with new, get something with good customer support. In other words NOT HP or Sony. I'm sure this will start a war, but I've had incredibly positive customer support experiences with Dell. That is if you pay for it (the full package), if not, your only slightly better off than with HP (which is hell).
    I'm not super experienced with Mac, but I've heard nothing but great things about their customer support on laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by pbourdon View Post
    Get him an Apple product. The interface is so much more intuitive, and installing software is a breeze. Yeah you pay a bit more for them, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. PCs IMO are just a headache waiting to happen. At some point, you will want to break your PC. Same can't be said for the stuff Apple puts out.

Apple FTW!
    Hey we agree on something. My mom is still on a PC and she started on computers about 25 years ago and I still have to go and fix shit for her all the time.

The virus thing too. He does not want a PC. He does want a mac. Even though he doesn't know this, it is true.

Large screen laptop=good advice.

You can also change the screen resolution to get bigger etc.
    Most of the people that I have helped migrate are always amazed at something like installing software. "You mean that's it?"

I once figured out that I had not shut off my G4 laptop for something like 7 months, cuz I hadn't installed software and it never needed the hard reboot.

I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Umm dude you don't buy Linux... it's open source. Then again, there are versions (or used to be at least, maybe still are) you can "buy", but what you are really paying for is support.
    Thank you, I know this. I also made no mention of "buying" Linux... but ok. The most popular Linux distros are the ones you have to purchase because they're the only ones normal people (read: non mega-geeks such as myself) would want/could even attempt to use without throwing the computer out the window after 4 hours of trying to install an mp3 codec.

And in response to the Mac thing, they're slightly better than pcs as far as accessibility goes, but that is it. They're NOT, repeat NOT worth over twice the price of a similarly spec'd pc, even for beginners. Sorry Apple zombies (I know there are alot of you on TGR). And more to the point of the original thread, as I mentioned before the file type differences between Mac Office and PC Office would be troublesome for an elderly computer novice to wrap their head around, I know this from far too much first hand experience. Also, the interface is not that much more intuitive than a decently set up Vista rig nowadays.

/computer rant

edit: in response to the above, yes the virus/spyware thing could be a bit of a hassle with the PC. Though again, is it a $1200+ problem? Probably not. Just set the computer up using firefox and it'll be ok.

ahhhh, ok I'm done with this thread. I knew it would end up being another dumb Mac vs. PC debate. Good luck and I hope whatever you pick works out.
    Last edited by belgian; 04-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by always wright View Post
    I'm beyond terrible with computers, so i think i'm qualified to give some advice: I find macs much more user-friendly than pcs, having used both extensively. Macs are pricy new, but reasonable if you can find a refurbished one. If you think your old man can handle some keyboard shortcuts, apple key and +/= key at the same time makes fonts bigger. You could probably find a 15" powerbook or something of that generation for pretty cheap.
    It's great that Windows doesn't have any shortcuts to make fonts bigger or screen views larger!

Large screen + minimal applications + good antivirus software

After 12 years on a PC gave this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ small company a try. I will never go back to PC EVER!
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    After 12 years on a PC gave this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ small company a try. I will never go back to PC EVER!
    Because the staff at the Apple store are so much friendlier and much, much less arrogant than Microsoft?

advres Guest
    And more to the point of the original thread, as I mentioned before the file type differences between Mac Office and PC Office would be troublesome for an elderly computer novice to wrap their head around, I know this from far too much first hand experience.
    Funny, I open .doc, .xls, and .ppt files that originate from Windows based computers on my OS X based mac all the time w/o any issues. I can't remember one time in the last few years I had any issues, opening any file type I tried on any of my macs (PPC and Intel based). This hasn't been the case in a long time. Stop drinking the haterade.

I tried getting my parents to buy a mac laptop and they refused. So I refuse to be their call center when they have issues they can't resolve with their Dell lappy (which has lasted them a good long time with minimal problems).

Thank you, I know this. I also made no mention of "buying" Linux... but ok. The most popular Linux distros are the ones you have to purchase because they're the only ones normal people (read: non mega-geeks such as myself) would want/could even attempt to use without throwing the computer out the window after 4 hours of trying to install an mp3 codec.

And in response to the Mac thing, they're slightly better than pcs as far as accessibility goes, but that is it. They're NOT, repeat NOT worth over twice the price of a similarly spec'd pc, even for beginners. Sorry Apple zombies (I know there are alot of you on TGR). And more to the point of the original thread, as I mentioned before the file type differences between Mac Office and PC Office would be troublesome for an elderly computer novice to wrap their head around, I know this from far too much first hand experience. Also, the interface is not that much more intuitive than a decently set up Vista rig nowadays.

/computer rant

edit: in response to the above, yes the virus/spyware thing could be a bit of a hassle with the PC. Though again, is it a $1200+ problem? Probably not. Just set the computer up using firefox and it'll be ok.

ahhhh, ok I'm done with this thread. I knew it would end up being another dumb Mac vs. PC debate. Good luck and I hope whatever you pick works out.
    Actually you used the word buy in reference to Linux, only reason I called ya out on it (hell I even bolded it), but I know what you mean now, so it's all good. The distro that is currently most popular for home machines is Ubuntu, yup it's free. Red Hat is straight skis compared to Ubuntu in terms of popularity these days.

I 100% agree with the rest of your thread. Setting up Linux can be a bitch (great once it's done), Macs are not worth the money in most cases, the Mac vs. PC debate is completely played out and people should really be using Firefox. Or Chrome, just not IE.

I think Advres is dead on about file compatibility these days. The Mac version of MS Office uses all the same shit. Only difference that I know of is that Entourage (what MS calls Outlook for Mac) is a bit buggy when connecting with an Exchange server.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    This one for $1899 from Apple.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8110206&sr=1-3
    This is the purchase link off of HP's site.
    About $400 less, but you do have to deal with the Vista service pack. Don't you have to keep paying for that too?

Show me a comparable PC unit for $699.

Trying to stay open. Apple refurb with the extended care warranty is the way to go IMO. Really not trying to flame the platform wars just asking.

My edit:
    I thought new egg was software. I went back and looked. It looks cheap.

It looks Cheap.
    Last edited by carvedog; 04-13-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.