WWMD :: Commuting Bike?

So I need a commuter to ride to/from work, 8 miles one-way. I was gonna just get a low-end road bike, but then I saw this guy on a mountain-bike looking thing: skinny tires, fenders, flat bars. And I realized I didn't know what to look for in a commuter bike.

I'm thinking: effecient, fairly comfy, and fendered. I'm not burly or skilled enough for a fixed or single-speed at this distance.

Commuters, what say ye? What's worked for you? What doesn't?

J-

PS: Sorry, Spats, I can't get a recumbent. My eyes suXor so I should keep my vital organs above the bumpers zipping around me.

I would get something with fenders and a comfy seat. Fenders for those occaisional rainy days. check your local second hand store. Probably can get a geared, fendered, bike for less than 3 bills.

when I lived in the sticks, I bike commuted on a road bike (7 miles each way) now that I live in the city-(only a 3.5 mile ride) the roads really beat up the road bike (pot holes-railroad tracks-glass, etc) I hate riding my mtb on the roads (just seems so inefficient!) so I'm thinking about a cyclocross rig something like this..
    Last edited by half-fast; 08-30-2004 at 10:46 AM.

i'm thinking cycle cross bike. it's the only roadie type thing i'd ever get.

How about a 1977 Schwinn Varsity with riser bars and a fixed gear? My wife rides a similar bike (but with gears) and I have a burly 1970s Sears bike that I'm converting to a functional commuter (currently deciding between SS and fixie). Personally, I think it is a little silly to spend heaps of $$$ on a commuters, then again, I'm not a serious cyclist and all my bikes are ghetto.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Question

Reason # 23477 I spent way too much time on this board.

My first question was, wow, he got a job?

Don't get anything under 9" of travel, front and rear. Urban assault each way to/from work.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Originally posted by Mr. Altagirl
    Don't get anything under 9" of travel, front and rear. Urban assault each way to/from work.
    LOL!

any old mountain bike would work fine, throw some 1.25 slicks and clip-on fenders on and you be rollin'.

cross bike is a nice option, but not the cheapest.

I think a cyclocross rig is the way to go for sure. Just bolt some fenders on 'em. You can get one for a reasonable price to boot. If I were to buy another bike I think a cross rig would be my next purchase.

The thing to look for in a commuter is: what type of bike are you most comfortable on when riding in traffic?

I always thought that I was most comfortable fighting cars on a mountain bike, but now I'm much happier zipping around on a steel road frame. I think I'll be even happier switching it to a single... (not fixed, I'm not cool enough yet.)

Moral of the story is different things work for different people. The guy you saw might prefer the upright position his flat-bar roadie gives him. Couriers all obviously love their fixies. I just like the sligtly more aggressive position a road bike with drop bars gives me.

CX bikes are cool, but unnecessary. In reality any old roadie or mtb will do just fine, its just all a matter of preference of what you like to ride.
    As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.

Talking

Originally posted by Mr. Altagirl
    Word. Anything less and JayFrizzo's a pussy.

Well, if you ride to work on the road (or if you live in Denver near one of those many trails), use a road bike. If you live somewhere poor with no roads, use a mountain bike, And if you live in a place with roads seperated by low fences and short hills to climb, get a cyclocross. And, yeah, avoid recumbents around urban traffic. Saw a guy once on my commute through the Bronx on one of those things, and all I could think was, poor sucka, he's doomed.

Originally posted by phUnk
    Word. Anything less and JayFrizzo's a pussy.
    I could commute on this and still be a pussy.

I have a new dream bike, thank you.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

If you commute on that blue thing you would definetely be a pussy.

Find anything that fits you and has good shifters and brakes, most likely someone´s rarely-used "mountain" bike. If you´re riding every day, you´ll want something with good components, so stay away from Wal-Mart bikes.

Put kevlar-belted 1.5" slicks on it. You want the Kevlar belts for flat resistance -- the Kevlar bead on folding tires is NOT the same thing. I have some kevlar Avocets cheap if you need them. The newest Primo Comet Kevlars are good too.
    Get a wide, comfy seat.
    Get a taller stem or higher bars so they´re at or above the level of the seat. A cheap riser bar should be fine, or check out www.rivbike.com for the bling commuter gear.
    If you´re going to ride in the winter, put fenders on it. The Planet Bike ones are excellent and cheap.

Ride.

(I recommend a rear rack and bungie net so you don´t have to wear your backpack while you ride. But some people don´t mind that.)

Closing note: whatever you do, don´t buy a road bike whose chainstays and fork won´t clear a fat tire. Skinny tires suck for commuting, and they actually roll slower than fat tires -- the reason road racers use them is they have better aerodynamics, but that´s only a net win at racing speeds. I won´t use anything less than a 700x38 or 26x1.5.