Let me know if I need to stop making these threads...

But your guys' critique is more honest than the other places I have found. Went out and shot lots of FILM today. So stoked on the idea of film, really pleased with some of the results. I got to go shoot alleys, which is just about my favorite thing. But yeah, tear these apart...

Some Americana...

and a cat to lighten the mood...

Ive got a whole bunch more stuff from today, but it seemed like this is enough for now.
    Last edited by single; 04-10-2009 at 03:00 AM.

1. Not a huge fan of out-of-focus foreground elements.
    2. Surprised they didn't chase you away. What a dump.
    3. Doesn't say much.
    4. Ditto.
    5. Me likey - a lot.
    6. That's a Bad Kitty! [/Cartman]
    Last edited by Tippster; 04-10-2009 at 10:42 PM.

post away. best way to get better is peer feedback.

#2 needs a greasy, shirtless, fat guy on the steps with a hairy belly and a cigarette.
    #4 is making me walk to the other side of the street with my old, fragile husky. I like it. Very cool.
    #5 is defiant, bold. Entertaining for animal lovers like myself.

Keep up the posting for sure, I always enjoy seeing what other people are shooting.

That said....where the hell are all the people?!? You know I dig your style and your vision, but these pictures are seriously boring.

You've got the style, you've got the composition and the technical stuff down, but there is a lack of interesting subject matter in the first 4 frames.

You have some killer portraits on your site, so I know you're not afraid to shoot people.

My advice: next time you are shooting, make these same exact frames, but then wait. Compose and wait. Wait there for a half hour if you have to. Wait for something interesting to happen inside your frame. Wait for a person to wander through. Wait for a car to go by. Wait for your subject to appear.

You've already done the hard part by getting there and composing and exposing, now you just need to wait.

(And as always...talk all advice with a grain of salt)

#2 for its composition and #5 for its central character are my favorites. But yeah, Trackhead's addition to the second photo would have been most excellent.

1, 3 and 4 don't speak anything to me.

6 would have been better with a collarless cat.

#2 and 5 are my favorites, the rest aren't doing much for me.

What body/lenses are you shooting, and what are you using for a scanner?
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Like others, I'm digging #5. I also like the somber lighting, with the kicked up saturation. Don't know if you are doing this digitally, or otherwise, but I see it.

I've got a 13YO son that is just starting to show some interest in photography. He's played with my D80 some, as well as a couple of digital P&S's that I have laying about. But, when he wanted to take something to school, I handed him a beat senseless F4, loaded with some NPH, and a manual focus lens. He complained about only having 36 shots, and not seeing the proof pop up on the screen. I forgot just how good, and forgiving modern film is. He is also learning to slow down, and see the shot before hitting the button.

I've got a fridge full of moderately outdated film, and a bevy of bodies that need exercised (Bronica RF645 anyone?). Thanks for reminding me that I need to get cracking.

FWIW, if anybody reading has an honest need for a 10 count box of 8x10 sheet film (Fuji NPS), let me know. Otherwise, I might have to buy some C-41 chemistry, and make a pin-hole camera.

what camera\film are you shooting?

reminds me of some results ive gotten from my old yashica electro gsn

i personally like the feel and soul of the first 4
    reminds me a bit of shelby lee adams, minus the portraiture.
    I think most people here would change their tone if you had a full portfolio of this kinda stuff....id personally dig it.

however, as single submissions;
    3 and 4 are my least favorite most uninteresting
    1. id like better with the foreground sharp and the highlight below the log burned in a little
    2. i like, wish the DOF was a bit more...the roof seems out of the focal range....also, get the whole house in the frame. i dont like it chopped.
    3. meh.
    4. meh as well...maybe better if you burned in the upper right to give the photo more weight\symmetry...a lot more uninteresting that the first 2, if you're going for a junky trashy theme
    5. not bad, i might prefer a more aggressive crop...get rid of the street...just fence and dog imo
    6. do not want!
    Last edited by pechelman; 04-10-2009 at 11:00 AM.

I'm drawn to the last two - I think the subjects make them more interesting than the rest. I especially like #6 for its colors, DoF, and the expression on the cat's face.

We should start an open critique thread, like the Picture of the Day thread, but for people who are specifically looking for constructive criticism...

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I'm no photo geek or anything, but I can tell you that I like this shot. A lot.

Thank you all so much for your time in giving me critique. I haven't found a good place outside of here to find people who are not afraid to voice their opinion, but also offer alternatives to what I have done. So yeah,

I guess I will start with the logistics. It is with a 1978 Canon A1. Rocking the cheap 50 1.8 and the not as cheap 15mm 2.8. Meant to grab the 17, but hey, got some results anyway. All scanned at costco. It costs 10 bucks to get 4 rolls developed and onto a CD, then if I really like the image I might take it somewhere better.

The people. I was trying for the intentional composition and the whole new topographic vibe. Obviously, it seems like people might contribute to this, so I will try to get some in it next time. I really see what you mean, thanks for the perspective.

I think it will be really tough to get people into these scenes because it is such a personal space. But hey, you dont know until you ask, right? I have a friend who is an amazing printmaker/drawerer. Could be kind of fun to do some collaboration work with some of the scenes. I will try to make that a reality.

Pechelman, I think there could be a cool set of this stuff, and I am kind of working on that. I will see how that pans out. Might be neat.

As for the cat, it was just a joke stemming from my previous critique thread. I hate cat photos. But thanks for the critique!

Stagger, tell your son to keep shooting film. He will thank you later. Also, have any old cameras you are looking to unload? The quiver is always looking to diversify.

Again, thanks for the critique. I will definitely take it all to heart and try to see how some of these ideas might change my future results. I have some more portrait driven work in the pipeline. I will post once I am further along.

Cheers,

Graeme

Some work I have been influenced by is this dude steven chalmers. http://www.askew-view.com/

He has some really simple landscape shots. Some sets with people, some without. He is really good, I recommend taking a look.
    Last edited by single; 04-10-2009 at 06:47 PM.