Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

School me on Meat Smokers

So we are thinking about getting a meat smoker, but don't really know shit about them. What are the pros and cons of the different one like electric v's non electric. We do understand we will need something like a yard to host this thing but that pretty much it. Personally I can not wait to get a beast, have killed and put into the smoker.
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

Search JONG! Joking - I started a thread on his last year HERE some OK info.

I went with an electric one, and it's been great. One of the big advantages of it is that it regulates the temperature taking a lot of the guesswork out of it (mine has a digital display). The model I have takes chips, not Bisquettes. There's a lot of cool DIY ones that I'd tackle if I had the space or was building an outdoor oven anyway. I'll see if I can find the model I have anywhere, but it was relatively cheap, under $200 or so I think it's a Bradley.

*EDIT - It's a Masterbuilt HERE in all black, I just have a Bradley cover for it. 16lb Turkey is the biggest thing I've had in there so far, which I think is getting to the upper end of what you can do without cutting up the food.
    Last edited by Sphinx15; 04-09-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

You cannot beat the Big Green Egg: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Spendy though.

If you feel like saving some coin, I've had good luck just turning my gas grill into a smoker per these directions.

I've produced some damn tasty ribs, and the only real investment was a thermometer and some cheap aluminum trays.

I picked up one of these from my local Bass Pro last Fall. The propane burner on the bottom is a nice compromise for me. I'd love to do it old school with just big chunks of hardwood, but I haven't got the time to tend it enough to keep the heat at the right temperature and whatnot. As it is I can get it started and then check up on it every 3 hours or so to add wood and water. The temperature is easy to regulate since I'm only relying on the wood for smoke and not for heat. It uses a pretty small amount of propane too. I have done a few 12 to 14 hour sessions with it and I typically go through about a quarter of a cylinder during that amount of time. Good capacity too with 3 moveable racks. Overall it's a nice option for the money ($169).

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'd love to have this one http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=254

but will most likely end up with one like this http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1295

what have you all found as a downfall with your smokers? what have you liked the most? is there anything I should know about the wood chips?
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

What you want is a good Jer.
    ZING!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Since I'm cheap I use a regular charcoal grill and line 2 opposite sides with coals and then oak soaked in water on top. Not sure how large an animal you want to cook, but I can smoke a 14 pound turkey in an Aussi, I'd imagine you could go larger with a Kingford type. Never tried electric or propane so I can't comment on those.

Here's a good one.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    Old school here... still the best.

Bump for more recent recommendations

I’d like to fit two 10# briskets in at once, small party size. I can do one on my gas grill,but no more. But I’m wondering if a dedicated smoker with a slightly larger capacity might be good for summer entertaining. What do you love? & why?

Had good luck with my Traeger pellet smoker. I now it's not purist, but it works just dandy. It's the smaller one and could well fit 2 10# hunks. Bought it off craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I have a cheap masterbuilt pro propane upright smoker from home depot. I've modified it a bit for better smoke and heat retention. It can also burn charcoal, but I've never bothered.

It's nothing fancy, but I get tasty results out of it. I can fit 2 10lb chunks of meat easily enough, although since it's stacked vertically, a big cut on the bottom will result in the upper shelves being a bit cooler. Especially when loaded up with meat, I use multiple digital probe thermometers to monitor both meat and air temp.

It seems like the difference between smokers really just comes down to whether you're looking for a new hobby and want to geek out on it, or if you're just looking for a relatively painless way to produce tasty meat. The "better" smokers I'm sure produce better results and you have more control, but it also means you'll have to be around for ~12 hours to monitor the thing. With mine, I usually spend a half hour at the beginning dialing in temp, and then I pretty much walk away. I have to add water every 3 or 4 hours, and wood chips from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It would be nice to walk away and know that the temp is consistent...that’s for sure

^^^pellets for you then. Traeger have about a 40 degree variance as the pellets are fed but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. NO adding water either, unless you want to. I never have.

Three words - Big Green Egg...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180217_133819.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	231263

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Alright, I’ll focus the googles in that direction,

pork belly?

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Three words - Big Green Egg...

Name:	20180217_133819.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	231263

Capacity in briskets? Radius looks limiting...

I have done two full briskets with the setup in this pic... I have a 10 lb pork butt in the foil on the bottom and 6lbs worth of pork belly on the top...

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    pork belly?
    Yep...

Name:	20171021_172958.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	231264

Name:	20171021_204453.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	231265

I am hooked on this meat candy... Every time we have a get together these are always requested...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well done!
    Thanks Flowing... A smoker would be a killer addition to your lake house...

I will be in Bach next week for 8 days and will keep an eye out for your tagging... I hope to get my timing in Bach to match the BBi event...

First of all, know what you mean by "electric". There are fully electric smokers (look something like a mini-fridge), where the heat is electric (and so obviously the temp control is too), and you add wood chips for smoke flavor. IME those are no good - got 2 friends with those and they always get barely-mediocre results, no idea why (maybe they just suck at it, but doubt it as it's pretty much all automatic).

Then there are electronically controlled, pellet smokers, which are super popular at the moment. I've had mostly great food off of those (the one exception dude is consistently blowing it - if you ever see someone trying to smoke meat pull out a meat thermometer, just order a goddamn pizza, LOL!). The upside to these is obviously the set-it-and-forget-it aspect. The downside: cost of the unit, plus the pellets can definitely get expensive (esp if you're doing 12-14 hour burns). The Traeger is wildly popular and works great, though my buddy who really is the Pitmaster Monkey swears the Rec Tec is far superior.

Personally, I use a charcoal-fired, Weber Smokey Mountain. Of course, Weber makes great stuff, and this is no exception. It holds a temp amazingly well, and can go up to 12 hours if you really load it up (and it's easy enough to add fuel if necessary). Still, there is some learning curve to getting consistent results (but then the results are amazing!). Upside (vs pellet): much less $$$ to buy and run, plus I like having full control over smoke-flavor amount and variety; downside: lighting the fire is a bit of a PITA, and even though it is very stable, temp-wise, paranoia inevitably sets in, and...babysitting ensues (though electronic temp controllers are available for this thing - think I may pick one up this year).

Then I've got a buddy who's a purist, and uses lump charcoal on his regular grill. Requires constant attention and artistry. But to him, the grillin'-and-swillin' ritual is like religion (he is full-on offended by the idea of a pellet smoker). Whatever you're into...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Yep...

Name:	20171021_172958.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	231264

Name:	20171021_204453.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	231265

I am hooked on this meat candy... Every time we have a get together these are always requested...

Damn those look great. I have the same setup but haven’t done any porkbelly yet. What temp and how long were those in?

Quote Originally Posted by Nwsno View Post
    Damn those look great. I have the same setup but haven’t done any porkbelly yet. What temp and how long were those in?
    I got a full pork belly flat from Costco and cubed them...

Cooking intructions:
    1. Once cubed put your favorite rub on all sides
    2. Set smoker to 250 degrees indirect for 2 1/2 hrs.
    3. After 2 1/2 hrs pull and place them in a disposable tin - cover liberally with favorite bbq sauce (1/2 to 3/4s of bottle), chunk up two full sticks of butter and place on top of meat (you can also add brown sugar and honey if you like sweet)
    4. Cover with foil and place back on smoker for 1 hr - still indirect

Take off smoker and let meat sit for 10 to 15 min and than enjoy the best cubed meat candy ever... Easy as shit...!