Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I thru in that buy a ranger comment and took off paddling for a few days figuring there would be a lot more " rangers suck " comments

I had a 90 4-runer sure those made in japan light pickup/suv's were pretty nice and I put a bunch of hard kms on mine so I know the japanese toyo truck

BUT Nowadays everything is made in the U.S. SO japanese quality has gone down while american car quality has gone up ,fords are at the same quality levels as the japanese based car companies

toyota has gone away from the small truck model of old to a larger more costly design while the ranger has stayed with the same old with some updates so I would say a NEW ranger is probably at the same level as the old japanese toyos of the 90's but a new ranger is definaltley not as refined as a new toyo

Price wise at 25K for a Ranger I might consider scraping together a few more $ for the Toyo BUT then ford is cutting >6000$ off the new rangers to put the truck I need easily under 20K

The Ranger is probably the cheapest brand new truck to buy & own sure its a little dated ,maybe some people need more truck I know I don't need anymore truck SO ... its hard to justify the extra $ for the toyota

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We bought Mrs. C. a 2009 Subaru Outback yesterday, to replace her 2005 double cab Tacoma. She needs better MPG with as much as she drives.

Maggot discount if you buy our Tacoma. All the info on the craigslist ad:

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2422798664.html
    Look I know Tacos are sweet and all and sell for more than my Nissan, but 18400 for a 6-7 year old Taco with 121k is absurd, even for a Toyota. Thats almost what I paid for my Nissan with 10k miles 3 years ago, and ours are optioned almost exactly the same, plus mine is 2 model years newer.
    Live Free or Die

^^ exactly the problem with used Toyotas.
    Do they actually sell for the stupid high prices you see them advertised for?

Slighty unrelated question... Nissan trucks have developed just as good a reputation for reliabilty as Toyotas in rural Australia, so what's wrong with the North American Nissans? Sure the Aust models are different to the Nth American models, but same applies to Toyotas.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Look I know Tacos are sweet and all and sell for more than my Nissan, but 18400 for a 6-7 year old Taco with 121k is absurd, even for a Toyota. Thats almost what I paid for my Nissan with 10k miles 3 years ago, and ours are optioned almost exactly the same, plus mine is 2 model years newer.
    Yep, I know. But...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    ... it's right in the ballpark for where it should be listed, based on my search on craigslists all over the west. I've seen them advertised in worse condition and/or higher miles and/or salvaged title for more $, and I've seen slightly newer and/or lower miles ones for $22-24K. I think it's ridiculous. But if that's what the market is, then so be it.

Obviously I'll take less for it. $18.4K is the starter price. Some nibbles on CL so far; I'll probably drop the price over the weekend into the $17K range, and I fully expect it will sell for $17 and something. There are no 2005+ double cab 4WD Tacomas for sale at $17K or less on craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post

Slighty unrelated question... Nissan trucks have developed just as good a reputation for reliabilty as Toyotas in rural Australia, so what's wrong with the North American Nissans? Sure the Aust models are different to the Nth American models, but same applies to Toyotas.
    Nothing. Nissans actually have better frames (fully boxed), dont have plastic bedliners like the yotas, more hp, more torque, and at least for a couple years could get a long bed crew cab with a 6 speed stick. Reliability is equal. Yotas are like Subarus, I just dont get the blind love.

Good on you Chup if you can get that price, I certainly wouldnt pay it considering you can get brand new 4x4 Rangers for that much brand new with a warranty. Paying almost new car prices for a truck with well over 100k is retarded.
    Live Free or Die

The market price is the market price as long as someone will pay that price ,I drank the toyota truck cool-aid back in the day but for me it doesnt make sense today

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Yep, I know. But...

... it's right in the ballpark for where it should be listed, based on my search on craigslists all over the west. I've seen them advertised in worse condition and/or higher miles and/or salvaged title for more $, and I've seen slightly newer and/or lower miles ones for $22-24K. I think it's ridiculous. But if that's what the market is, then so be it.

Obviously I'll take less for it. $18.4K is the starter price. Some nibbles on CL so far; I'll probably drop the price over the weekend into the $17K range, and I fully expect it will sell for $17 and something. There are no 2005+ double cab 4WD Tacomas for sale at $17K or less on craigslist.
    Since you've done your homework, what's a guesstimate value for an '06 Access Cab, 85k miles, excellent condition? [6 speed/V6/4WD] tks.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Since you've done your homework, what's a guesstimate value for an '06 Access Cab, 85k miles, excellent condition? [6 speed/V6/4WD] tks.
    Dunno. Start with Edmunds' TMV, and search on searchtempest.com for comparables, and price accordingly. Some of the option packages were pretty expensive new (the TRD offroad one on our Tacoma had a MSRP over $3K), so that can cause prices to vary quite a bit.

That 6-speed manual transmission will probably make it harder to sell, but for the right buyer who wants that transmission, it's a bonus. The automatics are/were far more common.

Also, the double cab models seem to have significantly higher prices than the access cab. The double cab/shortbed/automatic/4WD combination that we have seems to be one of the more popular combinations; double cab/longbed/etc. is much more rare.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Examples of Tacoma pricing via KBB used car search, and around my zip code in Reno, NV:
    http://usedcars.kbb.com/cars/cars-fo...-2005&ry_num=2

fair enough on the price, as you say market price is market price (I wasn't meaning to piss on your parade). I just don't get paying, as mentioned almost new car price for a 100k used truck.

I had a Ranger briefly (before moving to Aust) & it was perfect for my needs. A toyota would be nice but I can't see me justifying the extra $$ when I next buy a vehicle...

Someone who wants a taco will buy it and pay the market price the fact that some folks are questioning whether its worth paying the premium for the taco won't affect the price

BUT if you look at the $$$$ they want for the new taco you can buy a new ranger AND a fiesta for the wife that will get 50mpg and save you $$$ on fuel every time you drive it

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    [dick waving]Can't comment on the 05-08 models, but I did just pick this little beauty up today. Top to bottom rebuild by a local mechanic. '80 with a 22R swap. So long Chevy![/dick waving]
    That is awesome.

I just sold my Tacoma for $2500 over book and the buyer was stoked. The used car market is bonkers these days.

Nice truck, and nice wheels. What's the brand of the wheel? They look like the standard 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport wheel but powdercoated. Very nice indeed, I'd like to get a set.

Love my 2006 4x4 TRD-OR DCSB. It's got 130,000 miles and runs and smells like a new truck:

2.5" lift (Bilstein 5100's and Wheelers 3-leaf AAL's) with Spidertrax spacers and Goodyear Duratracs:

Custom interior that I installed myself:

Interior AC power outlets come in handy:

Last edited by BenWA; 10-01-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I thru in that buy a ranger comment and took off paddling for a few days figuring there would be a lot more " rangers suck " comments
    As a Tacoma owner, the newer Rangers I've driven are tough little trucks. We have a few at our company as field trucks and we beat the crap out of them, and they take it with a smile. Too bad Ford is discontinuing the Ranger in 2012.

Having said that, you definitely can't compare a Ranger to a 2nd gen Tacoma. Totally different animals from one another.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Demello rear wraparound bumper...
    That rear bumper is sweeeet!

How are those tires holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
    As a Tacoma owner, the newer Rangers I've driven are tough little trucks. We have a few at our company as field trucks and we beat the crap out of them, and they take it with a smile. Too bad Ford is discontinuing the Ranger in 2012.

Having said that, you definitely can't compare a Ranger to a 2nd gen Tacoma. Totally different animals from one another.
    AGREED, I just drove a new tacoma 4x4 4dr full load on a raft shuttle on the highway and on shitty roads towing a trailer, the Taco is undoubtedly WAY nicer than a ranger with more HP, nicer ride, tighter/sportier/positive handling the interior is beautiful and way more comfy BUT the taco cost exactly twice as much ... you can't compare the price either

the last ranger rolls off the line on x-mas eve

That is a great looking job on the interior.

I had a 2000 ranger 4x4 v6 and i thought it was a great overall truck. The thing is super cheap to maintain. But last year i went for a used 2008 tacoma wtih 24k miles on it. I could have bought a new ranger for the price I paid but there really is no comparision between the two. The difference is night and day. The toyota has lots more power and rides way better. There is a size difference, if size was a problem you would get a full sized truck

I doubt anything has changed to the ranger besides minor styling since the 2000 ranger.

When I was looking the Nissans were not a whole lot different in price than the tacomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kire2008 View Post

I doubt anything has changed to the ranger besides minor styling since the 2000 ranger.
    the last big change on the ranger was in 98 altho I think they have made some good things standard like now you get 16" mags, rancho shocks,possibly slightly stiffer springs, sat. radio, air, 4 wheel disc brakes with anti lock, ESC, good rear bumper with reciever for a hitch & trailer wiring, 6600$ off the price but the truck is still dated compared to a tacoma

BUT I think its possible the Tacoma's big competition might be the F-150 with the base 300hp v6?

I diddnt bother reading any of the past two page replies but going from owning a 98 taco access cab normal 6ish foor bed with a 5 speed manual with trd off road (with rear locker) 3.5 inch OME suspension lift, custom sliders, ARB front bumper and then "up grading" to a 2009 4 door long bed (6 foot) automatic trd sport im pretty un satisfied with the newer style of the tacomas. Its dumb how toyota doesnt offer the 4 door long bed (the short be in outright stupid for any mag here on TGR) in a manual or TRD off Road. I used my lockers quite often in my old truck. I feel like the new tacos also dont have as much power and the whole computer system, skid control ABS ETC. is wack. You can supposedly turn off the skid control fully but it doesnt.

After a little ranting i would suggest you find yourself an older style tacoma with lowish milage and some sweet up grades like mine had and not even bother with the new style tacomas. there too big and dont wheel nearly as well and are having way more issues than the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli424 View Post
    I diddnt bother reading any of the past two page replies but going from owning a 98 taco access cab normal 6ish foor bed with a 5 speed manual with trd off road (with rear locker) 3.5 inch OME suspension lift, custom sliders, ARB front bumper and then "up grading" to a 2009 4 door long bed (6 foot) automatic trd sport im pretty un satisfied with the newer style of the tacomas. Its dumb how toyota doesnt offer the 4 door long bed (the short be in outright stupid for any mag here on TGR) in a manual or TRD off Road. I used my lockers quite often in my old truck. I feel like the new tacos also dont have as much power and the whole computer system, skid control ABS ETC. is wack. You can supposedly turn off the skid control fully but it doesnt.

After a little ranting i would suggest you find yourself an older style tacoma with lowish milage and some sweet up grades like mine had and not even bother with the new style tacomas. there too big and dont wheel nearly as well and are having way more issues than the old ones.
    Having owned a myriad of vehicles, including several Toyotas, including an 08 Tacoma; I'm going to have to disagree with you on the ABS/TC issue. The TC on my 08 Tacoma saved my life more than once. And for Mags, driving a lot on witner roads; it will save your life, too.

Case and point: While owning it, I was traveling west-bound on I-90 west of Missoula. Road was straight, but weather was shit. Near 30 degrees and black ice, as I found later. With no warning or input from me, the truck broke loose, nosed left, then right, then left again - right towards a very snowy median. All this at about 65mph. Then, the ABS and traction control kicked in. Not only did it get me straight, it also stopped my vehicle wildly nosing and spinning all over the place. Had it not done so, I would have invariable hit a dry spot, caught, flipped and ended up all sorts of FUBARed.

Point of clarity; the TRD Tacomas do, in fact, have a locker. I used it extensively. Combined with the TC, I found it worked better when wheeling than my compatriots who had a previous generation Tacoma. Your 09 Sport has an LSD, which wouldn't be nearly as useful when wheeling.

Size wise? I will agree with that your 98 is about the perfect size. But the upgraded engine; more horsepower, torque and better mileage is terrific. Also, the new interiors are night and day better than the previous generation. Oh, and the new 6 speed transmission is pretty rad. The 5 speed automatic - which I had - was pretty bomber. I only heard of some very ancillary issues on the first year Tacomas.

Power? Umm yah ... the new one have it in bucket loads over the previous generation. The 3.4 was a stout, but slow motor. the 4.0 is much peppier, faster and has more HP and torque. I believe in either 09 or '10, Toyota added the VVTi to the exhaust valves to give it even more over what I had in my 08.

My 08 was a pretty rad truck, but I like m Land Cruiser more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

My 08 was a pretty rad truck, but I like m Land Cruiser more now.
    My '06 doesn't have TC, does have ABS that i'm not 100% confident in. Kinda wish i'd bought the Tundra or FJ in hindsight...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Point of clarity; the TRD Tacomas do, in fact, have a locker.
    The TRD Off road package does come with the locker, the TRD sport does not.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli424 View Post
    The TRD Off road package does come with the locker, the TRD sport does not.
    Right, that's what I meant. I guess until this current generation, TRD denoted their off-road package. That TRD Sport package is pretty neat if you like stickers, making your truck a parking lot wheeler and not much else ...