Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Its all relative, risk that is. Go on a club ride with street bikes and try and stay with the front pack. (no harleys here) If your not going around corners at 200kph they will leave you behind. Given the choise, I'd rather be high marking in powder coz my buddies may save my life, or I may ride out of it. Come off a yammy R1 at 200kph and your buddies may find all the body parts. example 2. Lee Lau and his crew did some cool lines at rogers pass that I have looked at and not felt comfortable about. does that give me a right to judge or critize his crew. Weren't we all a loose cannon at 19y.
    Lee, no disresect, your tr rocked, thanks for the photos and skin trails for recon.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Dont sled in BC

well I hooked up our sled for the kids behind the 4 wheeler. It was short lived the kids were white. We used to do this as kids and I dont remember this as a problem. Doesnt help there is a blizzard out right now. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    Its all relative, risk that is. Go on a club ride with street bikes and try and stay with the front pack. (no harleys here) If your not going around corners at 200kph they will leave you behind. Given the choise, I'd rather be high marking in powder coz my buddies may save my life, or I may ride out of it. Come off a yammy R1 at 200kph and your buddies may find all the body parts. .
    There are other scenarios which depending on your point of view could be worse

buddy o mine came off his R-1 when the tent poles fell out of his pup tent stuff sack and into the rear wheel in a highspeed corner

he realized as he was sliding along on his back that god wasn't finished with him ... buddy has fully recovered and now goes to church (reformed baptist)4 times a week

Having snowmobiled some 6000 miles of backcountry plenty of high marking included in the Northern US Rockies and backcountry snowboarded since 1991 in the general intermtn west . My avalanche experiences have been ptex related.

I know most if not all of the(lower48) maggots have all got 10k on the sleds and been BC since the 70's, I will just shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I think the margin of error is far less for sleds given the weight and power. Lots of backcountry skiers make dumb choices all the time and get away with it. Does that make them more aware or just lucky?
    I think Powder11 said it best. Everyone I've sledded with here in Whistler ALWAYS have beacon/shovel/prope on them, most carry a few of the following as well, knives, first aid kits, SPOT transievers, SAT phones, GPS, bivy sacs, space blanket, matches, lighter, solid fuel stove, food, extra water, etc. All it takes is spending 1 night out there, or being kept out til well after dark, or a serious injury and you start thinking of what you could possibly ever need. God knows my pack weights as much as a small child.

Early this winter nobody I know even went sledding much til feb, because avy conditions were so bad. Most of the people I know have a lot of respect for the mountains, that being said...

I have seen people on new rigs without backpacks, just as I see seasonaires hiking OB off blackcomb all the time without a backpack, or buddy, hell sometimes they're ski cutting above you.

With sledding you have a motor and 500ibs with you. Skiing... it's just you.

There are as many retards in both groups, sledding is just more dangerous, with higher odds of triggering an avalanche with the extra weight, and ability to go more places, faster and higher than skinning or bootpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nothing like cutting across slopes with a 500 lb chainsaw...
    Thats just it though, a sled+a body, coupled with the fact that a sled covers alot more terrain in a day = more avys.

And lets face it guys, we all make bad decisions when the adrenalin is pumping.
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?