Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Official MLB 2009 Thread

Since my beloved Phils started off the season last night with a big stinky turd of a game it's time to get the MLB thread started.

Predictions? Hopes? Thoughts? Trash Talk- you name it. It's all good.

Personally I don't see the Phillies repeating. I only hope that they make the playoffs again. As a long suffering fan, while last year was wonderful, I need some consistency. I need a few years of playoff baseball to make me feel better. I don't need them to win ever year...I just need them to matter. Very much like the flyers to me. Every year the flyers go for it and do well in the playoffs. While it would be nice for them to win the cup, they leave a good taste in my mout year after year because they are consistently good. This is what I need from the phils.

Predictions
    Division winners: Red Sox, Twins, Oakland, Wild Card- Yankees
    Mets, St. Louis, LA, Wild Card- Phillies

MVP's- Texaria (no idea how to spell is name) and Albert the great.

World Series Champs: St. Louis
    Fall of the face of the earth award: the rays- those young arms pictched ALOT last fall.

As a Rockies fan first every opening day brings unwarented optomism, this season being no different. An improved and versatile bullpen brings hope, but a shaky rotation might mean those arms get worked over quickly. The line up is promising Todd will extended at bats in the three hole but also needs to produce some RBI's to make up for the loss of Holiday. Right and Centerfield are also huge question marks (both defensively and at the plate),I like Spilborghs hustle and attitude and think he really is the glue to this clubhouse but he has never been an everyday centerfielder due to his limited range, and I don't care how high the Rockies brass is on Seth Smith the guy hasn't shown me much. Hurlde needs to find Ian Stewart at bats he proved last year with consistent at bats he is a force in the middle to bottom half of the line up. Brad Hawpe needs to continue to be consistent against left handed pitching, and our rotation needs to consistently give our bats a chance to win games.

I also just want the rockies to be "relevant" but relevant to me means being in the hunt after the all-star break. This team gives reasons to be hopefull but my head keeps saying there are too many question marks around the rocks for me to truely believe, most likely another 75 win season awaits, but opening day always brings hope!

So glad to have baseball back! Go Tribe!
    I still call it The Jake.

Seems like this off season was especially long. Good to have baseball back. Too bad my Brewers are a fucking wreck in the pitching dept.

Fuck the Yankees.

Go Cubs....100 years and counting.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I just don't get why the Rockies parted ways with Holliday...The honestly thought they couldn't pay him at the end of the year? Wasn't there $$ put aside from their playoff run?

^^^it is 100% a money thing, the Monforts are a bunch of cheap bastards and after getting burned with big contracts like Mike Hampton, Denney Neagle and even to an extent Todd Helton they probably never again will sign a player to a contract longer than 5 or 6 years. the rockies offered him their max, 5 years 75 million, which they knew wasn't enough to keep him but wanted to at least make it lok like they tried. The core of the problem is this the Monforts care about money not about a consistent winner and at the end of the day they didn't want to pony up the cash needed to keep Holliday around and figured they had minor league prospects who will be serviceable.

Boycot

I'm boycotting this season or at least until the Yanks dump A-Roid!
    Just breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Go Cubs....100 years and counting.
    The Cubs are gonna walk all over the Crew this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I just don't get why the Rockies parted ways with Holliday...The honestly thought they couldn't pay him at the end of the year? Wasn't there $$ put aside from their playoff run?
    From what I understand, they thought they could keep him until the middle of this season, but did not want the distraction associated with it. At least Helton is back and looking good; hopefully he is over the back problems.

Rays and Red Sox game postponed til tomorrow. MLB, why are you scheduling an early April game in Boston? When they are playing a Florida team that plays in a dome? Seriously, that's a big "fuck you" to the Rays fans (do they still have fan since they lost?) and an idiotic move to schedule a game that has at least a 50% chance of being rainy/snowy/generally crappy weather.

Let's go Mets!

And that goes hand in hand with Fuck the Yankees!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

BOOO mets.
    Signing Sheffield...That has bad idea written all over it.

BOOO mets.
    I don't know...I think Sheff is just the thing the Mets needed to insure another disappointing season. All those acquisitions to their bullpen were making the GM look too good...then they do something like acquire sheff and totally redeem themselves. At least they got a new ballpark.

BOOO mets.
    Yeah, I was really excited by that signing!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, Sheff for 400k is a horrible signing...
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

Quote Originally Posted by IE View Post
    Yeah, Sheff for 400k is a horrible signing...
    You don't think they have somebody else that can hit .225 AVE, 19HR, 57RBI without being a polarizing influence on the clubhouse? Yeah, killer signing dude. You're right.

G.S. was done when the Yankees had him. How is he going to respond when he goes 0-4 and the Mets lose to the nationals in August and the N.Y. media gets after him. Think the team will rally to his side? Think they will say- hey! He's our guy through thick and thin.
    Think that doesn't matter? Well the 2008 Phillies did that COUNTLESS times and I believe it matters. Teams win. Collections of stars don't unless the play as a team.
    As the Celtics. Umbutu bitches. Ask the 2004 Sox. Those Happy Idiots picked each other up all season long.
    The clubhouse matters. 400k to throw dynamite into a pile of kindling is not a good signing in my book.

Well, to be fair to the Mets, Sheff (supposedly) understands that he was signed as a reserve. And because they have so little invested in him, they can drop him at any point. And while I'm not thrilled with the signing, he may -- he just may -- bring a little swagger and attitude to that team. And anyone who has watched the Mets the past 2 years (whether with glee or sadness) should admit that they could use a little attitude and swagger.

Hey Yank fans...CC Sabathia eh? Looking real good guys. It's gonna be a long year. Better hope A-Roids finds some replacement drugs to start using.

As someone who's watched the rockies be consistently terrible throughout the years, I'm extremely dismayed to hear that the feed the fever promotion with Taco Bell now requires the purchase of a drink.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

CC isn't looking great this opening day.. but that being said:

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Jason Bay
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797