Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Interestingly, not one of the Rays' 1st overall picks is currently on their major league roster.
    If Evan Longoria wasn't the first player the Rays picked in 2006, how is he not their #1 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    If Evan Longoria wasn't the first player the Rays picked in 2006, how is he not their #1 pick?
    I was talking about 1st overall picks. If we expand to just 1st round picks, obviously there are more, but there are also FAR more flops, too. A 1st round pick is nowhere near a sure thing; odds of being a star major leaguer are way lower than the 1st overall pick (which is still pretty low).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Disagree. And a quick look at the 1st overall picks shows no superstar pitchers in the last 40+ years of picks. A smattering of guys who have made an all-star team, but nobody that could even sniff the HoF. Far more stars among the position players selected.
    Wasn't referring to draft picks, just in general. I think scouts have an easier time deciding whether or not a pitcher will be successful, opposed to a position player. A lot of position players are nasty at defense and crush, but not a lot of first year pitchers can hit mid to high 90s and have a deuce that drops off the table.

Disagree. And a quick look at the 1st overall picks shows no superstar pitchers in the last 40+ years of picks. A smattering of guys who have made an all-star team, but nobody that could even sniff the HoF. Far more stars among the position players selected.
    Overall #1 yeah but pitchers shine young and first rounders are usually good.
    See Kershaw, Billingsley, dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLeagueBrian View Post
    I think scouts have an easier time deciding whether or not a pitcher will be successful, opposed to a position player.
    Eh, I don't know. High school pitchers are about the worst bet when it comes to the draft.

Any ability to more easily scout pitchers over position players is more than balanced out by the fact that pitchers are far more likely to have their careers halted by injury. I haven't done any analysis, but I am sure that statistics bear this out. I know that there's been a recent trend to pick pitchers out of college rather than HS, because it increases the chances that the pitcher will actually be able to make it to the majors.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Overall #1 yeah but pitchers shine young and first rounders are usually good.
    See Kershaw, Billingsley, dodgers.
    See Mark Fucking Prior. Grassyass
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Great home opener for the Rox today- an ass whoopin' of Cole Hamels. I hope they can keep up the pitching, because I know the offense will be there all year.

NYT

April 12, 2009
    CHEERING SECTION
    Spend $10,600 on the Yankees — or for College or a Car?

By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI
    With the celebrated arrival of Citi Field, I can barely afford to raise a family of Mets fans.

But for me and my three sons, things could be a lot worse.

After all, we could be Yankees fans.

Now let’s suppose the four of us wanted the best seats in the house across the street from the one that Ruth built. A single ticket for a premium Legends Suite seat, on the field level behind the dugouts and home plate, goes for $2,650. For me and the boys, that amounts to $10,600 to watch nine innings of Yankees baseball, or $1,177.77 per inning, if you’re keeping score at home. That princely sum is three times as much as Ruth earned — in his first full season with the Red Sox, $3,500 in 1915.

By contrast, the Mets’ top ticket is $695. Can anybody here afford this game?

“I think if anybody in any business had known where the economy was going to go, they would have done things differently,” Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees’ general managing partner, told reporters before the team’s first exhibition game at the stadium. “There’s no doubt that small amounts of our tickets might be overpriced.”

Might be overpriced?

I enjoy singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame,” but not to the tune of 10 grand, and although I can’t manage like Stengel or Torre, I managed to put together a number of alternate entertainment lineups for anyone who may be thinking of other ways to spend that $10,600.

For instance, instead of watching Yankees pitchers take opposing hitters to school on a given day, you could send a child to La Guardia Community College in Queens, at $1,400 per semester, to complete the bulk of a four-year degree.

Rather than watch Brett Gardner cruise center field, you can take a family of four on a weeklong Caribbean cruise — according to Liberty Travel in Queens — for roughly $1,250 apiece.

You would still have $5,600 left over, enough to buy a 2000 Cadillac DeVille (with 128,048 miles), being sold for $5,000 by Martin Cadillac in Englewood Cliffs, N.J.

You can travel to the Bronx for a day, or you could travel to Paris for a week, airfare, lodging and meals included, for about $8,000. You could take the remaining $2,750 and spend a week this summer at the Jersey Shore, according to an agent at Mancini Realty on Long Beach Island. You could get a place there, near the water, starting at $2,000, and you would still have enough money left to buy some Ball Park Franks and have one heck of a barbecue.

And why spend $10,600 to see if Cody Ransom can fill A-Rod’s shoes when you can buy four pairs of Gucci shoes, some serious black leather moccasins, for $595 apiece. With Mother’s Day fast-approaching, toss in a pair of Gucci Iman triple-ankle strap platform sandals, for $1,275, and you would still have $6,000 to spare.

In our case, me and the boys could take our wardrobes up a notch by splurging on four checked sport coats at Barneys New York, which retail at $1,495 apiece.

Also, why watch the Bombers play at their new ballpark when you can stay home and put Panasonic 58-inch high-definition plasma televisions in each room? Best Buy sells them for $3,499.99 apiece.

Autograph collectors like me can take $10,600 and buy a dozen baseballs signed by Alex Rodriguez (about $350 per ball), a dozen signed by Derek Jeter (about $300 a ball), and still have enough cash to get every other player on the 25-man roster to autograph an individual ball.

Last month, I really let the wrong pitch go by. Rather than invest $10,600 in three hours of baseball, I could have bought 10,600 shares of Citigroup stock on March 6. The share price has tripled.

There are a great many other ways to spend $10,600. You can spring for 14 Frederic Fekkai haircuts at $750 a pop, or treat yourself and 85 of your closest friends to orchestra tickets for “The Lion King” on Broadway ($121.50 per ticket on Broadway.com).

Maybe one day, someone will make a movie about the skyrocketing costs of raising a baseball family, especially in Ruth’s old neighborhood. They could call it “The Bronx Is Burning a Hole in Our Wallets.”

Even with terrible Phillies starting pictching, the Rockies couldn't win the series. And I have to say, there was a pretty low ratio of Rockies to Phillies fans for Saturday's game. I only got booed twice in two days. Show some enthusiasm Rockies' "fans." In LA, I had my life threatened multiple times.

Phillies fans are from Philadelphia. We don't need to add insult to injury by booing them.

Phillies fans are from Philadelphia. We don't need to add insult to injury by booing them.
    And we smell like cheese steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    And I have to say, there was a pretty low ratio of Rockies to Phillies fans for Saturday's game. I only got booed twice in two days. Show some enthusiasm Rockies' "fans." In LA, I had my life threatened multiple times.
    It was much different at Friday's opener- I think I saw two Phillies jerseys all day. Pretty much the same for today's game too- although with 40 degrees and raining, there weren't a whole bunch of people at the game anyways.

I personally think the Phils will win the NL East (if Hamels can be healthy) and the Rox will make a run for it in the West. I'm guessing 85-90 wins, which should keep them in it most of the season. It'll be exciting either way- I love watching those young players.

Could someone please trade their batboy for Jeff Suppan of the Brewers. The guy walked in three runs only to be pulled out so the reliever could walk in the fourth run. He has got to be the worst Brewer pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Could someone please trade their batboy for Jeff Suppan of the Brewers. The guy walked in three runs only to be pulled out so the reliever could walk in the fourth run. He has got to be the worst Brewer pitcher.
    How does Suppan still have a job in the MLB? He can't even be a situational reliever. Hang it up already. Surely the Brewers have some dude in the minors that can pitch as effectively as that dude.

Go Cubs...Wrigley north treated them right...they should've swept that series...oh, and Gregg should be looking over his shoulder at Marmol...
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

2008 World Series Champs- Ain't no injury here!

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    2008 World Series Champs- Ain't no injury here!
    yeah, but you're still in Philly.

Harry Kalas, voice of the Phillies, died today. 73 years old and 38 years with the Phils. I grew up with that voice. It's a sad loss for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Harry Kalas, voice of the Phillies, died today. 73 years old and 38 years with the Phils. I grew up with that voice. It's a sad loss for baseball.
    RIP. The voice of the Phillies for my entire life. He will be missed dearly.

Rest in Peace Harry.

Last edited by 45hill; 04-13-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post

Obviously, not every #1 pick is a sure thing.
    Stephen Strasburg may be.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...trasburg_N.htm

"People are building him up to be this messiah, but in this game they love to build you up, just so they can tear you down. Can't we just let him enjoy his junior year here before everyone gets their piece of him?"

Too late. Anonymity and privacy vanished the moment Strasburg hit 102 mph on the radar gun, to go along with a devastating, knee-buckling curveball. He is 6-0 with a 1.49 ERA entering Thursday night's game against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, averaging nearly 17.5 strikeouts per nine innings.

Strasburg, whose effortless 98-mph fastball already is considered the best in baseball by some scouts and executives, is being heralded as the greatest collegiate pitcher of all-time — perhaps the best player ever in the June draft.

No one is bothering to argue.

The Mariners woulda drafted first, but they won their last few games, and the Nationals now have first crack at this young gun. Some think he's already better than any big leaguer....

This article, also gushing about this phenom, also includes a some video of 23 of his strikeouts...all in one game...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...trasburg032409

I'm thinking of going down to SD to watch him pitch, actually.

Mark Fidrych died today, too. RIP to the Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    How does Suppan still have a job in the MLB? He can't even be a situational reliever. Hang it up already. Surely the Brewers have some dude in the minors that can pitch as effectively as that dude.

Go Cubs...Wrigley north treated them right...they should've swept that series...oh, and Gregg should be looking over his shoulder at Marmol...
    They've kept Suppan under the supposition that he can eat up innings. Well in his two outings this he hasn't made it to the 5th inning yet. You could just see the frustration on all of his team mates and the anger on his manager's face last night. I think the only reason he's still pitching is because of his salary.