Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Maria Heads to Rhody

We just got back from Rhode Island last night, straight from Block Island to Manhattan in under 5 hours. There's a lot from the trip, but Maria had a tough time...not physically, but she's upset about getting blanked on Block and ignored on the charter.

The Rhody leg of Maria's visit was two stops. First was a full day charter out of northern Connecticut to fish Watch Hill and site fish the flats around Barn Island and Fisher's Island. So technically she had the chance to fish, RI, CT and NY in one day. Unfortunately, once we found the fish, she was ignored...I cut this clip as an example why:

The trip was with Ryan from Hush Charters and he may sound like he's exaggerating, but he knows his shit. There were some big, big fish out there and they run hard on the flats. He made it a great day and despite my awful display of line management, still managed one nice fish.

Afterwards, not wanting Maria to feel too left out, I hit the dock at my father's place in Wickford harbor for some smaller stripers. Wickford is in the lower Narragansett Bay, RI and this time of year the harbor is infested with decent smaller fish and some bigguns, but not from this dock at least.

Here's the location:

Maria gets hit:

Wickford Harbor striper1:

Slightly larger:

Despite about 10 hours of fishing on the day, there was still time for one more late evening session and Maria hooked a pretty good sized fish for the dock.

Measured about 29 inches:

I haven't fished this much in a day in years., but the trip was just getting started. The next day we were headed to Block Island for 8 days...

to be continued...
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Maria Goes to Block Island, RI

The final leg for Maria, in my hands, was Block Island, RI. The Block is a 7mi x 3mi island south of Rhody and east of Long Island.

The island is gorgeous and offers a wide variety of environments to fish. There are rocky shores with bluffs:

Maria isn't quite big enough to battle the surf and I didn't have much luck out there either:

The other best option early BI season is the Coast Guard beach which is the channel entrance to New Harbor. Early in the week I landed a few decent fish there which went into the backing on an 8wt and thought Maria could be tested, but why not try it...

After the rain cleared, the fog rolled in. Maria casting in channel:

Maria getting a glimpse of the channel dredger lurking in the background.

This boat was ever present and I've got more about it in the full report I'll post in my season thread.

The morning of our last day the weather finally broke and we were treated to a beautiful sunrise. Maria casting again in the channel...can you spot the fly?

As mentioned in the above post, Maria didn't land any BI stripers, but we did hook up:

aaaand gone:

That's as close as she got, but it was good enough to leave her wanting more. Someone' got to get her a pig!

Sadly, we said goodbye to Block:

Maria is now sitting in a Manhattan apartment waiting to hook up with L8. We'll try to do an in person hand off, but it doesn't look good for timing between father's day and no car on Saturday, but we'll figure something out.

I'm sad to see her go, but at the same time she definitely comes with some pressure to be fished hard. I wrote some feelings about Maria's stay in the journal and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by mushmouth; 06-15-2009 at 05:24 PM.

I'd say that is yet another successful outing for Maria!
    Although you didn't get the toad you were seeking, those were some nice fish.

Bump for updated Block photos.

Maria, the journal and fly box with The Gurgler from Warthog and and an olive clouser from me (it's not the best effort, but it will catch fish) has been shipped to L8APX in upstate NY via USPS Express Mail and should arrive by tomorrow afternoon.

Farewell and good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Farewell and good luck!!
    going to do my best to hook Maria up with some big browns
    Harvest the ride.

A rod named Maria came into town this afternoon, so I took her BASSIN.
    The rig.

The starter.

And within hours of showing up Maria is dancing with this guy

Up next trout
    We have had a bunch of rain and most of my spots are high and blown. I'm hoping to find some bows in the morning.
    Harvest the ride.

Nice bass and boat! Good to see Maria killin it!

My favorite part is knowing what that rod feels like which gives me a good sense of what it was like catching that bass...she looks good!

Day two with Maria.
    I wanted to let her dance with some big rainbows, but after a long hike to water that was less than ideal, we got shut down. So I loaded Maria up in my other rig and headed out in search of some better water.
    lets hope we don't need wheels to get there.

I wanted to get some trout on the rod, and with all the rain we have had lately, I was limited on choices. I decided to hike a nice little spring creek for some smaller bows

Maria handled the fight, even though we had to almost get into the back of the leader.

Maria's butt is bigger than that little guy. All in all I had a blast picking off about 130" of rainbow 3-8" at a time.

Pray for lower or clearer water.
    Harvest the ride.

Quick update
    Maria has been to VT and central new york. Same story, high water all the places we go. However she has caught browns on nymphs, streamers and drys. Just about to send her on her way, I believe makerstele is next in line.
    Harvest the ride.

Way to work her! I've heard this has to be the worst late spring for rivers and streams in this area and north in awhile. hopefully this is the tail end of the rains, but sucks they blew up the rivers for Maria's trip.

I don't fish but I f'ing love this thread. Keep up the solid work gents.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Id love to get my hands on her for some Mallets Bay/Shelbourne Pond Bassing over here in Burlington, not much of a trout guy, or even a great fisherman, but would be fun!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

L8APX, what's your canoe? Any overall pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    L8APX, what's your canoe? Any overall pictures?
    it's a 1981 Mad River explorer Kevlar
    Harvest the ride.

Who wants maria
    Next pm gets here
    Harvest the ride.

^^PM sent

I was signed up as a "whenever", but I'll take her now if that is cool with the group. I'm feeling inspired by L8PX's and Mushmouth's fun with her.

I know Lexi-Bell is on board for a little dance, too.

Lobstahmeatwad - you interested?

We are hoping to get a three-way going with that saucy lady.

Maria will be going to the Bozone for some igband lexi meatwad action after I get back from VT this weekend.

Here are some parting shots. Maria in all caught bluegills, bass, rainbows and lots of browns. sad part is she couldn't find a trout over 14" during her stay due to all this f'ing rain. Maybe southern VT will fix that, we'll be hunting this weekend, wish her luck!

Dozens of these dudes were caught in hi off color water

Most of all, my pup will be sad to see her go....
    Harvest the ride.

igBand and others on the list -

I don't wanna fuck up the rotation but I'm happy to take it after the Bozone crew if it works. Still cool with Sept but....

Schwerty - No problem to send it your way when we are done with her up here. Of course...we could always explore a possibly hand-off/fish somewhere south of us and north of you. Somewhere in YNP or on the Upper Maddy? Henry's Fork? Just a thought. If not, I can just throw it in the mail as soon as we have danced with Madame Maria.

And many thanks to L8PX for sending her off juiced with good mojo!

Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    Schwerty - No problem to send it your way when we are done with her up here. Of course...we could always explore a possibly hand-off/fish somewhere south of us and north of you. Somewhere in YNP or on the Upper Maddy? Henry's Fork? Just a thought. If not, I can just throw it in the mail as soon as we have danced with Madame Maria.

And many thanks to L8PX for sending her off juiced with good mojo!
    igBand - My schedule is damn tight these days but I'll try to get away for a day or 2. Let me know when you guys are done with her. If we can't figure out a hand off then we should prolly keep it on schedule.

If it works out, a day in or around the Park, Maddy or Henry's would be fine by me.

^^Sounds solid. As soon as Lexi-Bell, Lobstahmeatwad and myself settle on a day, we'll let ya know and see if it works out. If not, I'll just send it down your way once we are done.

Took maria to Vt this weekend to celebrate the 4th and fish some. Here are the pictures
    This weekends rig

Due to high water in the valleys, I went up to the headwaters for some classic VT brookie action on a 6wt!
    The location

The stoner action

The true vermonster

The high water has sucked but cool thing is She is pretty whippy and even at 9' could dance with the small streams. Better luck to the next crew, enjoy!
    Harvest the ride.

where were you? Kinda looks down granville way.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"