Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Would really like her to be here for the 17-19th.

Didn't make it to the post office in time so I took Maria out one last rip. Went over to one of my favorite trout streams that have produced some big browns for me in the past. So here we go
    The location

As soon as I got on the water I saw a nice brown not just rising but jumping to something. Tied on a yellow humpy and got two smallish browns but not the big one. I got aggressive and put on a hopper, and bingo this brown rolls in quick and profiles the hopper only to refuse it. I then decide to rest the hole and move down stream. I tie on a nymph and pass through a couple holes. At each hole I land a 12-14" brown. At this point I'm having a good night and am starting to feel sad to see Maria go. I then tie on a big bird (personal streamer tied with yellow buny strips and flash) and start ripin through pools. I pick up one decent brown and start to believe in the streamer bite. Next hole I come to is deep and 40 yrds long with a steep bank on one side. Three strips into the first roll, BAM...

This thing feels heavy,

Hang in there Maria,

Tugs like a 24" brown,

Takes some line and jumps....

What color was that?

Tugs some more.....

Jumps some more....

Comes to net and I'm floored. Maria just landed a f'ing nice smallie in my super secret sensational stream that no one knows about.

Wait what is a smallie doing in here?

You tell me.

On the way back out I stop by the first hole, and as I begin to leave, splash...

Now I know where another large trout likes to eat and I'll be back.

Thanks for setting this up happy and thank you 72 for thinking of the idea. Most of all thanks to this forum and it's members for knowing how to have a good time and sharing the resulting stories.
    Harvest the ride.

Yeah!! Nice way to end it!

I'm really looking forward to seeing a species list for Maria.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Great lookin smallie!

Been busy, but just checking back in to see how things are coming along. Looks like she's had a great trip. Keep up the action.

Rod shipped to Bozeman to fish some western streams.
    Have fun!
    Harvest the ride.

Just a quick update...

Maria made it safe and sound to Montana last night, but she is getting re-routed to Colorado tomorrow so MakersTeleMark can dance with her on a trip he has coming up next weekend. He'll send her back up this way after he's done with her.

Also, I got to add...the flybox and log book/journal accompanying her on the journey are so sweet. We'll have to investigate a publishing deal when it's all said and done.

I say we do it again in 2010 but bike or walk to make the handoffs and have Trackhead come along and film the journey. Form a limited partnership...sell the film to a major network...take the profits and buy a piece of dirt on or close to a bunch of fisheries, (and skiing), and use it as a maggot fishing forum retreat. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I say we do it again in 2010 but bike or walk to make the handoffs and have Trackhead come along and film the journey. Form a limited partnership...sell the film to a major network...take the profits and buy a piece of dirt on or close to a bunch of fisheries, (and skiing), and use it as a maggot fishing forum retreat. Just sayin'
    Second this idea. Need some extra dirt close to fishing, hunting, skiing, biking

As I shipped the rod out I thought how bad ass it would be to follow her and fish all those spots.
    Harvest the ride.

Thumbs up

*I'm in.*
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Maria is in hand, and I'm off for 2.5 days of troutin' on some private water. Will post an update when I get back.

I could get us some swamp land real cheap. Close to skiing- well... close is relative. I fly to SLC in less than 4 hours. That feels close to me. Water skiing- no problemo.

I say do it again next year too. I feel I let the crew down by not bagging some epic monster from the gulf. Maybe next year we just send a 6 and a 9 TFO around the country, unless HFB's dad is up to the challenge. I think 2 different weight rods zig zagging the country would be even more fun.

Thanks to igBand for getting Maria to me to coincide with an annual Boy’s Weekend of camping, storytelling, drinking, eating and of course, fishing at Mount Massive Lakes in Leadville, Colorado. MML is the largest private trout hatchery in the state, and offered a great workout for Maria. I fished her on Friday night for 3 hours pulling in about 25 fish. Saturday’s first cast was at 10 a.m. and she was fished straight through my last cast at 9:20 that night with only a half-hour break for lunch. Sunday she completed her interval training with a relaxing 10:30 - 5:30 cool down.

Maria hooked up with literally hundreds of fish. It’s really hard to take pictures while hooked up and in a pontoon boat, so these few below were coaxed by some yells at friends to grab my camera whilst on the bank. Maria’s biggest fish was definitely the big bow below. It was the size of a good chunk of my arm, and caught on a 16 parachute adams. Other notables were 17 fish in an hour on a blue adult damsel, an 18” fat brown on a stripped motorboat caddis, and her last fish, a very colorful 19” cutbow on a sangre de christo caddis emerger. Sadly she didn’t get into any tigers, grayling, or splake.

Maria was mated perfectly for this type of fishing and I’ll miss her. Such a sweet flex for a versatile trout rod. I’ll pen a short note in the journal and drop a couple of flies in the box and send it off tomorrow. This project rocks.

Standing Proud:

Hooked Up:

Another Bow:

Getting Ready To Launch:

Big Take:

Maria’s 6 Pounder:

A Very Healthy Bow:

Return To Sender:

Excellent! Glad she made it out there for this trip, it looks like it was pretty special.

I can't say enough how much I love seeing her in all these different spots...and that 6lber looks like a redfish...so thick!
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Good show Makers! Where is Maria off to next?

Being the first recipient of Maria, I'm feeling a little left out... I know, I know... I can hear the "Awe poor poor Bur" sighs.

I truely hope that Maria rod and the journal/fly box makes it around for a second time. I would like the opportunity to read everyones' comments, check out the wear and tear of the shipping tube, etc...

I maybe going through seperation anxiety.

Is there and end to this maddness!? Have we distinguished a goal for the "first round"? I am assuming that the rod would eventually make it back to Happy Fun Balls, correct?

Has anyone attempted to create a tracking map, which was mentioned earlier? We need some substance here team. Something to really sink our teeth into, like how they track Santa Clause's location on Christmas Eve. I know we have limited technology, when compared to Elves. But we are maggots dammit!

Just trying to delegate and motivate because that is what I'm good at.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

MakersTeleMark - SWEET! Glad she made it down to you safe and sound and that you got her into what looks like the most healthy amount of fish that rod has seen! Very much looking forward to getting her back up this way and on the water.

I messed around a bit with the basic Google Map tools. Although you can make a map public and create something that I think would work well for our tracking purposes (track the rod around the country, adding text descriptions, photos, and video), it looks like you have to have a google account to edit it. I assume this is a limitation.

I think what we need is a developer with google API experience to whip up something quick and dirty. Anyone out there fall into this category? Anyone??

Sent to igBand today. Threw a few flies in there as well. I put them in a hook sized ziplock because they are really small compared to the monsters in that box. I suggested in the journal that the last person scan it and e-mail it to those who dated Maria so we can see the whole migration.

I'm probably way too late, so I won't be offended if the answer is no, but I'd love to hop in on this! I'm in Sun Valley, so it would be appropriate to get her out on Silver Creek. Or, if it can wait till October I can take her up for a shot at some Steelhead in Southeastern Washington...
    Mark
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    I'm probably way too late, so I won't be offended if the answer is no, but I'd love to hop in on this! I'm in Sun Valley, so it would be appropriate to get her out on Silver Creek. Or, if it can wait till October I can take her up for a shot at some Steelhead in Southeastern Washington...
    Mark
    I can't speak for the entire group but geting you in the mix shouldn't be a problem. She should see silver creek, the big wood, lost, payette, etc...

I belive she is on Her way here next when igband and Lexi get done in a couple of weeks. Summer Steelhead on the lower Deschutes middle August and early Sept. Maybe Tap can pull his nose from the grindstone for a hook up.
    Last edited by yonskion; 07-22-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Yonkion, igBand and Adipose,

I sent you guys a PM. Lemme know what works. I'm open.

Right on. I'll do my best to follow along and if it works I'll hop in and see what I can do on the Creek!

P.S. Just fished the Big Wood during lunch today. Good fishing! PMD's, Green Drakes, Pink Alberts, Caddis and the fish were looking up...
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

G-man,
    Lemme know, I'll come along to take pics. We can dress her up with this.

Fished the upper Big Lost yesterday. Drakes everwhere. Couple of nice fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    G-man,
    Lemme know, I'll come along to take pics. We can dress her up with this.

Fished the upper Big Lost yesterday. Drakes everwhere. Couple of nice fish.
    Now there is an idea... what about all participants going out and getting pledges for a certain amount of $$ for every mile Maria travels (or appropriate increment) for a good cause, such as Breast Cancer Resaerch or TU.

Turn this into the never ending always giving TGR charity traveling rod. Could also work out to be a decent tax write off.

Thoughts...
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Quick update -

I got the rod late last week (thanks MTM for sending her so fast!).

Lexi-Bell and Lobstahmeatwad were able to get her on the water Saturday AM but I was stuck at home on kid-duty. I'm going to work the schedule to get out tomorrow with the rod and LB and I are talking about one more attempt with her this weekend before sending her on her way. We'll post up a complete "Maria Comes to MT" TR as soon as she's in the mail.