Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    PM sent. L8 will be after you.

Is she going to RI next? I miss Rhode Island sometimes. Then I remember the winters. At least they sell this here-

So it is kinda like being there.

Hope you enjoy the rod. She is a perfect lady with the Bass. The salt was a little tough for her, but mostly due to wind and user error.

pm sent I can do it either way
    Harvest the ride.

If it's ok either way, you'll have more time with her after me than before.

Thanks for being flexible that's what she said
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Yeah- I am going to send it to Mush. Seems like he has a special trip planned. L8 can play around with it for a while after.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Seems like he has a special trip planned.
    I do sound needy don't I...

But yeah, she will be joining me on a full day solo charter in the salt ponds of RI on June 4, then heading to Block Island for 8 days. Hell, if she gets here by Friday she'll head to RI this weekend for some harbor action.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    I do sound needy don't I...

But yeah, she will be joining me on a full day solo charter in the salt ponds of RI on June 4, then heading to Block Island for 8 days. Hell, if she gets here by Friday she'll head to RI this weekend for some harbor action.

solo? do you need a camera man?

sending it to mush is cool with me, we could even meet up for the hand off in june.

tight lines
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    we could even meet up for the hand off in june.

tight lines
    I'm down for the June handoff!

Meanwhile...something arrived in the mail today, pics to follow shortly.

It's on in the NorthEast!

Got home last night and get handed this:

The rod came with a very nice looking journal and a fly box with "the Gurgler":

My first impression was this is a beefy 6wt and I will have no hesitation going after some schoolies, or bigger...not that I ever get anything bigger.

This weekend will be a warm up with largemouth. I'll see if the Gurgler can attract some NY Larry's.

Lastly, I opened the journal to read, but decided that I would do my writing
    before reading about everyone else's experience so as not to be influenced in
    style of substance. This is a great project and I'm psyched to keep it going strong.

Keep up the good work guys. Glad to see the tube is still holding up nicely as well.

If I could have this rod in hand for July 17-20th, I'd really appreciate it. Seems doable given the schedule. I'm in CO.

Glad it made it. Had me a little worried. I insured it, but no deliv. confirm.

BTW- that Bill Jackson's sticker was my addition. It doesn't say where the shop is, but if you guys are ever down here, it is a worthwhile stop. Really really cool old shop. My wife handles all their health insurance, and I am a member of their fly fishing club. They get all my business- mostly.

They were featured in a couple national commercials over the years. Visa or MC, can't remember which. Also, they have been on several fishing shows.
    http://www.billjacksons.com/history.htm

Just figured I would give 'em props, since they gave me the sticker, and they are sorts part of the family. At least they pay some of the bills.

Alright! It's on here in NY/RI for the Maria rod. I had a goal of breaking her in with a striped bass and large mouth bass in the same day...and we were successful. I'm going to make a little video of her stay here, but I'll use some screen shots for the TRs.

Started out the day at about 5:30am in Pelham Bay park in the Bronx. I had to be back by 9am to head to the lake with the wife and baby. First impression of the rod was that it's very fast action and you can really whip light big flies. Heavier clousers were a bit of a problem, but it is a 6wt. In getting used to it I managed to smack the inside of my leg with a surf candy at full speed...that hurt.

On to the goal...no takers for the first couple of hours and started to get a little worried. About 20min before it was time to head out, got a strike:

Little fight:

Little fish (notice Maria taking a dip in LI Sound):

Smallest striper of the year, but it counts. Step one down...on to the lake.

It was a windy early afternoon and drifting near the shore was a pain in the ass, but managed to stay on a rock and cast under some over hanging trees. Stripping, stripping...a nice sized brown bullet came out from under and nailed the popper. Bass?

Nope:

Oh well. Later in the afternoon the wind died down a bit and went to another spot hoping for a NY larry.

MRod in action:

Another hookup:

It's a bass:

Probably larger than the striper:

Sorry for the photo sizes. If I'm doing this when the page flips I'll try to resize them.

...cont.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 05-31-2009 at 08:28 PM.

...cont.

No more action to add to the above report. It was a long day and thankfully, mission accomplished. The combined weight of both fish was likely less than a good large mouth

MRod at rest:

Close up of the Gurgler:

The Gurgler's a sweet fly, but I didn't get anything with it. Gave it a shot this morning, but ended up getting rained (lightening) out pretty quickly.

-Warthog, I don't know if you have had this problem with the gurgler, but after several casts the foam started to slip down the shank of the hook. Other than that, it's nice and light and has some great action.

Next up is the full day charter in SoCo RI and she will be along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post

-Warthog, I don't know if you have had this problem with the gurgler, but after several casts the foam started to slip down the shank of the hook. Other than that, it's nice and light and has some great action.

Next up is the full day charter in SoCo RI and she will be along for the ride.
    Haven't had that problem, but I have been using old DOA hooks that have little barbs on them. That one I threw in was on a regular 1/0 hook, so it might be slipping. I thought I wrapped the hook prior to the foam. Whoops. If you can epoxy it, it should be fine. Either way, that foam is suspect. Seems to be breaking down quickly. Looking for some higher density stuff online.

Hope somebody catches something with it before the foam breaks down.

Looks like a sweet spot Mush! Thanks for sharing.

I've found it a better idea to Pre-wrap the shank of just about any fly before you begin with the dressing. Obviously with a few delicate dry's it's not possible but most dry's, streamers and nymphs it's a must........very nice patio, looks cool and relaxing.
    Pre-request for Rod August 31---Sept 7th She should meet a Deschutes Summer Steelhead.
    Last edited by yonskion; 06-01-2009 at 10:26 AM.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Good show Mush! It is really cool seeing the different species, water type, and habitat that maggots fish. Especially those local special spots. The traveling rod campaign is intimate. Not in an "up skirt panty shot" way, but "I could almost hear the water lapping on the aluminum hull" sort of way.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    I've found it a better idea to Pre-wrap the shank of just about any fly before you begin with the dressing.
    +1 Great spot mushmouth!

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    I've found it a better idea to Pre-wrap the shank of just about any fly before you begin with the dressing.
    Yup- part of the learning curve I guess. I fished the fly last night and got a nice bass off it, but it did start slipping. Made for some interesting action. I'll be pre-wrapping them from now on.

Also, the foam is long and rigid enough that it may not slide around the bend and interfere with hooking a fish.

Hey, save some room on the rod tube for my stickers too!

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

how do i jump in on this??? if its still possible
    yes its true you are a good woman, then again you may be the antichrist
    08/09-- i quit counting

Quote Originally Posted by basinbum View Post
    how do i jump in on this??? if its still possible
    There was a sign up post a few months back. For some reason I can insert a link, but it's back on the fourth page of the fishing forum under TGR Traveling Rod Sign Up. There's a schedule on there of where it's going and when. You should be able to jump in somewhere along the line depending on where you're at and when you want to have it.

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Im still new here, but the traveling rod is one of the sweetest ideas I have ever seen. The different fishing areas that this rod have made it to already are pretty sweet. I cant wait for the waters to slow down in MT. The rivers have been raging and the salmon flies are coming out. Rock Creek and Big Hole rivers are just starting the salmon fly hatch. Cant wait to get out, or to see the next post on Maria.