Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
    I am looking to grab her late this month or early Oct for when the EC NS Mini gets going. The fish are not easy for the taking right now but it could change soon. I am heading to germany in 2 weeks. I will be in Munich for cocktoberfest for 5 days. What say you Neezer?
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Hells Bells, I'm in Boise and if nobody wants her, I've got fishin' fever! PM sent.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    I am looking to grab her late this month or early Oct for when the EC NS Mini gets going. The fish are not easy for the taking right now but it could change soon. I am heading to germany in 2 weeks. I will be in Munich for cocktoberfest for 5 days. What say you Neezer?
    I've been trying to figure a way to get down to Munich. The only problem is that I'm going back to Cleveland for my sister's wedding on the 23rd of september. Just for a long weekend, but right in the middle of Octoberfest.

What dates are you going to be in Munich?

Excuse me for butting in...

Being the first person to receive Maria last year and the second person to catch fish with her, after Happy Fun Balls dialed her in the U.P., I would like an opportunity to have a reunion. I would also like to see how the journal is developing.

May I please be added to the list, I don't care when.

I'm just feeling a little left out... Maria withdrawal.

Thanks,
    -Bur
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

23rd to the 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrrr View Post
    Excuse me for butting in...

Being the first person to receive Maria last year and the second person to catch fish with her, after Happy Fun Balls dialed her in the U.P., I would like an opportunity to have a reunion. I would also like to see how the journal is developing.

May I please be added to the list, I don't care when.

I'm just feeling a little left out... Maria withdrawal.

Thanks,
    -Bur
    See, that was kind of the point of my earlier post. There's a whole group of people feeling left out because they haven't seen her once, and you want her a second time.

As for the journal, whenever this trip ends someone should just create a thread for it and scan it in so we can all read it.

Have you guys decided on who she's going to go to?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Please put me on the list I was on the list and hoping to take her to Mexico last fall but some jong who doesn't even post here anymore couldn't get her to me
    thanks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I was originally signed up for the next two weeks
    Pm me if it's cool that it still can come this way, I could hand deliver it to the ec summit
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    I was originally signed up for the next two weeks
    Pm me if it's cool that it still can come this way, I could hand deliver it to the ec summit
    Cool. I'll shoot you a pm.

I have had her far too long.

So how does one get on this list? I think it's a super cool idea. I'd love to get her on the Lower Stanislaus in January. I posted ealier, but got no response so I'm not sure what constitutes being on the list...

If it's a closed type deal and I'm too much of a JONG to have her, that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaBum View Post
    See, that was kind of the point of my earlier post. There's a whole group of people feeling left out because they haven't seen her once, and you want her a second time.

As for the journal, whenever this trip ends someone should just create a thread for it and scan it in so we can all read it.
    Dharma, I don't think I could have been more clear when I said "I don't care when".

What is with the hostility?

On another note... is maria still being tracked on map? If so, please post the link again. It would be cool to catch up on her travels.

-Bur
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Looking forward to seeing her in August (the year really doesn't matter) for Pinks and Dollies, maybe a Dog.

In the meantime I'll just keep fishing like normal and look for the Maria stoke.
    -speaking of which: BRING IT, too much arguing, not enough stoke

I'm getting cranky as the Silvers are SOOO LATE, it's been sunny for 3 straight weeks up here???
    -Please keep Maria and send rain

Quote Originally Posted by Burrrr View Post
    Dharma, I don't think I could have been more clear when I said "I don't care when".

What is with the hostility?

On another note... is maria still being tracked on map? If so, please post the link again. It would be cool to catch up on her travels.

-Bur
    Hostility? Where you getting that? Frustration...maybe a little. I just read alot of posts from people that want to participate, myself included, and the rod often goes to people who've had it already. Gets to feeling like a closed club.

Ok, time to get this thread back on track and make it all warm and fuzzy
    again.

I had a shitty lead up to Christmas. You know, the usual procrastinating on gifts, feeling stressed for time, questioning whole godamn exercise. After a xmas eve day of running around buying last minute shit, I got home to find Maria on my doorstep. Made my day, really. Put me in the spirit. So I opened a beer and fondled her.

The lower Stan opened 1/1 (this guy does a great job detailing this section:http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/california-calling). Didn't make it out on NY day. Two of my buddies had already planned to come down from the bay area on the 2nd, so I went with that. It was pouring when I woke up and I was half hoping they'd flake, but I knew better. They showed up and we got to the river around noon. Light rain, but it had dumped over an inch and there were creeks and water falls where there aren't supposed to be creeks and waterfalls and the river was high, muddy and pretty blown out- but we knew that would be the case. We figured fish like water, so what the hell.

We fished the few holes that weren't class V rapids for 3 hours with not a tug. Finally, near the end of the session, I was stripping an olive wooly at end of a long run and the biggest fish I've hooked in that river was on. Now, I'd like to blame the fact that my dad, a lefty, loaned me his Sage 6wt reel for Maria (which I was too lazy to change over to right handed) and that caused me to hold the line longer instead of going to the reel. Or maybe I could even blame the leader he had on it. But after the fish rolled over just enough to come out of the water and show me he was a bright, beautiful pig, he quickly submerged into the murky hole and took my wooly with him- failed at the knot. Made the day though. I like to catch fish, but on a day like that where you don't expect much, that was a win.

Not to discourage any one who wants her, but I'm hoping no one claims her and I can have her though January. Hopefully the Stan will calm down a bit and I can land something.

I'll post more pics up later.

Maria and I dancing in the rain.

My pops had dropped these off NY eve (he caught them trolling the lake above the lower Stan). I had them brining so I put them in the smoker when I got home for some dinner.

I broke Maria Friday.

I feel really, really bad about it. I was really enjoying the whole experience- reading the journal, taking her out fishing and taking pics to build a TR. But what was a really cool thing turned bad for me. What makes it worse is that it was a completelly bone-headed move on my part that did it (but then I suppose most broken rods come from such a move).

First, I think you all deserve to know how it happened. When I got to the river the limited parking that usually would have had maybe one or two cars on a Friday was full- the feds were doing a fish count and there was a bunch of goverment rigs parked there. I had to park up the hill. I fished for a few hours with one hit. Frustrated with the slow action, I decided to call it a day. I walked up to my truck and was getting ready to leave when two other fisherman who were leaving stopped to chat. They said the lower section where I was had been slow but the dam area was producing. I still had an hour or so of light, so when they drove off, I just had to hit the dam section. I looked down the road and saw the less muddy, prime parking spots empty. I decided to pull the truck down there so when I was done I'd have a nice spot to take the waders off. And here's where the dumbass move came: Maria was in the back of the truck with the tip end hanging out. Camper shell door up. I think you can guess the rest. Now before you say, "WTF was this idiot thinking!" Let me at least make my case for it not being completely retarded. I have driven across town with my dog in back and the door up. I've driven down dirt roads with the back up and rods in the back. Never, ever had it gone down. But it did. And I really should have known. Those plungers on the door get weak. The ones on my old Cherokee had to be replaced twice. I should never have taken the chance. But I was going two hundred yards and they've ALWAYS held that godamn door up. But not this time.

I'm really embarrassed about it and want to make it right. HFB says he's pretty sure we can get a new tip section. He also suggested the collective may want to start fresh with a new weight/manufactuer. I'll let you all tell me what to do.

HFB said he was suprised she made it this long. But that makes it all the worse to be the guy who screwed up. I just hope you guys can help me make this just part of her journey and not the end it.

Might as well post some of the pics I took.

Scene of the crime (if only those damn feds weren't there...):

The Stanislaus at Two Mile Bar:

Yup, it's California:

At least it happened somewhere purdy:

I think we should hang GiBo!

I have a feeling everything will be just fine. HFB or someone else will get her fixed up. Shit, I break at least one stick a year. Don't spend too much time worry about it.

I got the PM of the news from GiBo this weekend and like I told him, shit happens. She had a hell of a run if you ask me.

So, this is our chance to either mend her up and keep going, or move on with a new stick. The first thing I thought of was getting Maria back and stripping everything off her, guides, cork, reel seat, and trying to use those pieces on a new rod. Kind of like a reincarnation if you will. I'll offer up a new blank again if needed and my dad will tie up a new rod using whatever we can salvage out of Maria. Any input is appreciated.

I like the idea of keeping the cork, it's like the soul of the rod.

-don't worry Gibo, "shti happens" is right

Sometimes the cork is salvageable and sometimes it's stuck on there pretty good. Wont know for sure until I get it back and inspect. Maybe it's time for a new thread and a vote for how to proceed. I'm not sure if everyone is checking in on this particular thread or not.

I vote it is up to HFB!

Thanks for the supporting posts guys. I'm sure you can imagine what a horrible feeling it was when I heard that 'thump' back there. I felt like such an idiot. I know shit happens, but this one was a little different. And I'm sure those of you that have had her had the same over cautiousness I had with her. I've never been more carefull with a rod while fishing in my life. To have her go like that was just so infuriating.

I really want to try and keep her going. Whatever we can do to that end I'm all for. And HFB, I know you said don't worry about the money, but I'd sure feel better about it if you'd let me pay for any cost associated with getting her up and running.

Again, thanks for being cool about it. I know it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I'm one of those anal types that takes really good care of stuff. I'm usually not the guy to screw stuff up. I guess it was just my time for a little humble pie- and I can tell you, it tastes like shit!

Glad it wasn't me!!

It was bound to happen and it's better than it getting lost! It definitely happens...oh well, life goes on.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I vote for a rebuild...I think 6wt is a great size for this rod, small enough for trout (the little ones I catch at least), big enough for small salmon/bass/etc. If the cork doesn't come off the new handle will get stanky soon enough

Glad it wasn't me!
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

I am getting pretty exited that Maria may be back in action and headed for the Mirimachi when I do in late April.