This shit is awesome!!!!! (NSR)

No shit. This works!!!! Just been field tested and I almost don't believe it but shit, this might just change my life

HealthSmart

RU-21: License to drink? Imagine James Bond out on the town with a beautiful Russian spy. A few bottles of champagne later, he's passed out while she (unaffected by the alcohol) is now free to rummage around in his hotel room. Her trick? An "antidote" to alcohol she took ahead of time, which allowed her to drink without becoming inebriated.

Sound far-fetched? Well, Soviet scientists tried to develop such a pill during the Cold War. The problem: Although it seemed to help with hangovers, it didn't prevent getting drunk. So, the "KGB pill" never made it to prime time. But after the fall of the Soviet Union, information about this supplement became available, and entrepreneurs took notice. Spirit Sciences USA, a company based in Los Angeles, sells a dietary supplement, marketed as RU-21, online and in stores. The makers of RU-21, which is produced in Moscow, say it enhances the body's capacity to break down alcohol and prevent the buildup of acetaldehyde, a toxic byproduct of alcohol metabolism. Besides warding off hangovers, acetaldehyde may be linked to alcohol-related diseases, including liver damage. Spirit Sciences sees the product as a tool to lower a drinker's long-term risk, as well as help prevent hangovers. Many involved in preventing alcoholism are concerned about sending a message that a pill can make drinking risk-free. Also controversial: RU-21, as a dietary supplement, requires neither approval from the Food and Drug Administration nor a prescription. This much is certain: RU-21 will make its way to campuses and nightclubs. Until further research is done, we should proceed with caution. By eliminating a consequence of drunkenness, more people may feel a license to drink. But combined with driving, that can become a license to kill. I think that's one license we need to leave to James Bond.
    Tedd Mitchell, M.D., directs the Wellness Program at the Cooper Clinic in Dallas.
    Last edited by Hayduke; 08-29-2004 at 05:27 AM.

This is just a conspiracy to increase the demand for RU-486. You see... RU-21 will clearly lead to people that have lost all inhibitions while not feeling the negative effects of over indulgence. This, of course, leads to more unprotected sex, which increases the need for RU-486.

Don't let'em get ya.

Interesting....

Does anyone know what the mechanism is? Or what the active ingredient is? There's not much info on Sport Sciences website.

EDIT: I guess this is a little insight, but not much detail. From http://www.csulb.edu/~d49er/archives...no9-ru21.shtml

The makers of RU-21 claim the pill slows down the production of acetaldehyde, a highly toxic byproduct of alcohol consumption, and speeds up the process of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, an enzyme that converts the acetaldehyde into a non-toxic acid.

The CEO of Sport Sciences says in that article that RU-21 was never intended as a "hangover cure" but rather for its long-term health benefits for moderate drinkers.

IMHO...that's a bunch of BS. If they were really concerned about people using it as nothing more than a hangover cure, then they wouldn't be marketing it as a "dietary supplement", but rather a prescription pharmaceutical. (again just my honest opinion).
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 08-28-2004 at 09:50 PM.

Wink

Here's an idea, if you don't want to get drunk, don't drink!

Bad Idea, if you dont want to get drunk, drink until you dont know your drunk

edit: no dpps for me thank you.

Yeah I just don't want to puke puking sucks as well as waking up in your own vomit oh wait I don't drink bwahahahahahahaha its cold here mother fuckers
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey
    Yeah I just don't want to puke puking sucks as well as waking up in your own vomit oh wait I don't drink bwahahahahahahaha its cold here mother fuckers
    you're a fucking idiot, I'll drink for you.