Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 186 Momen Bibby

186 Moment Bibby

I will start by saying thanks to Mellee for selling the belms here on TGR, this has now become my favorite ski ever. My daughter also likes them I thinks it great that she can name all three of my skis and tell them apart, not bad for a 22 month.
    Me 5'8" 190
    Skis 186 Moment Bibby Pros mounted with Tyrolia Peak 15 bindings
    I like this binding may be my new choice since they changed the heal and got rid of the old AFD, its light.
    Mounted at -1.5 from the line or -5 from center per Melee suggestion.
    I’m a laid back expert who does not jib.
    Resort Snowbird

Skis I like Praxis protest, 187 Dynastar XXL, 173 Icelantic Shaman, 176 Dynastar legend pro, 193 og Big Daddies,
    First day on these the conditions were not great it was a few weeks ago during the awful warm weather we had in Utah. Headed back to Mineral Basin in hopes that the snow would be soft. First run was a bit awkward the snow was soft in some spots and in others it was still partially frozen. I was not sure what I thought after the first run, a bit confused it was back to the top second run they got better as I stayed balanced over the ski, the third run was silver fox and the snow was smother there and not slush, kind of chalky. This is when I started to like them they came alive and skied well they were quick in the bumps and fun to ski, the ride the rest of the way back to the tram was great they carved the groomed trails amazingly well and were just fun. The rest of the day we hit up Jaws great snow and the skis just kept surprising me more and more. Despite the floppy tips they were fun at speed on groomers and just all around fun to ski. These skis just kept getting better and better as I skied them they have a lot of pop, which took me off guard the first time, I hit something. All and all I was more than impressed and could not wait to ski them again.

The last 3 days I have got on these and been a great mix of powder from soft light to heavy wind blown powder. I bought these for dust on crust days and the day after a storm when looking for snow. The powder performance on these was incredible, not quite the float of the protest or the smear ability but really good. The first pow day I got on these was 22 inches on top of curst, it was the first storm in the current storm cycle we have been in here. I loved how they floated through the snow the tails did not hook they released smoothly and the tips floated to the top. The first deep run on these I could feel the lack of girth underfoot compared to the Protest. Once I got used to it I could ski them as fast in the powder as the protest, but these felt like they wanted to turn a bit more. The second day was a bit denser snow but some of the best snow I have skied all year. I did not once wish I had the Protest to me these are just as fun in the deep due to the extra face shoots. These skis are a blast in the cut up snow stay in them and they blast over the crud. If you stayed in the front seat and let the ski do its job they make soft crud fun and easy to ski. These ski also kill it in the trees. I like them better in the trees than my 173 shamans I had last year they were very quick and easy to maneuver in the trees and very fun in the trees at speed. What I really like about this ski is you can ski it fast or slow in the powder, and its fun either way.

After skiing this 3 days in pow and one non-day pow this ski could be a one-ski quiver for someone looking for a rockerd ski. I skied the 179 hell bents in similar conditions to the first day I skied these and hated them. I had praxis Mtn Freerides and felt they were not wide enough and they were missing some thing. I skied those is similar conditions to the bibbys and I would take the bibbys over the Freerides any day in both conditions. In denser snow they are good but the praxis protest are better and charge a bit harder, but these are easier to ski all around. Pros its fun and easy to ski handles everything but ice. Cons this ski in this size is probably not for hard chargers. The 190 might fit the bill there, but not sure have not skied. This is the most confidant I have felt on a ski ever, last year I felt close to this on the 181 thugs but in the end wanted extra length. My friend wanted to try the bibbys and we swapped for a run, I immediately wanted my skis back, skiing pow and curd with out rocker is not as fun for me.
    This is now my daily driver and my new favorite ski, the xxls are benched and will probably for sale. These skis are great the bindings are good and make this ski for a light set up for doing baldy laps, and great on traverses. All I can say between Moment and Praxis there must be something in the air in Tahoe for these companies to make some of the best built and performing skis out there.
    Last edited by fat yeti; 04-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

thanks you.
    comments on flex? camber/rocker?
    I'm a little confused, '09 has comber underfoot while '10 is flat in the 186, because of the 190?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The camber is almost non existant on them. The flex is soft to medium in the tips and tails but underfoot its stiffer, nice flex with a lot of pop. It flexes softer than it skis. The rocker is gradual the rocker length in the tail is shorter than the rocker in the tips. The tails are raised more than the tips. Hope that helps.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com

Could you actually hold an edge & carve on groomers without skidding it sideways? That's a biggie for me, looking for a rockered ski that can still edge well & doesn't perform like a snowlerblade when it gets flat.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I'll be skiing the groomers on the 190 Bibbys this weekend....so yeah, they can carve. :-)

Glad you're stoked fat yeti!

And I'll echo some similar thoughts on the 190. As you said, it took a few runs to adjust to a more centered stance. But once dialed-in, you'll start loving the skis more and more. I've found that if you get yourself in the backseat, the rockered tail helps snap you forward. Haven't really experience any tip flapping, and the only conditions I didn't like them in was super crazy wind-affected and sastrugi. Go figure.

You can carve on any thing but ice soft or firm groomers are fun on these lets just say my xxl will sit the rest of the season.. I liked them better than the S7 and better than the praxis Mtn Freerides. The tip floping is not a lot just a little. This ski just keeps giving when you stay balanced. I hope that helps.

www.levelninesports.com

I think they added camber and more stiffness overall to the 09/10....

I agree with all the chatter about the Bibby's being crazy sick. One thought I'd like to add is that they are incredibly light. I have them mounted with Freerides and they aren't noticeably heavier than my BD Havocs with the same binding. Definitely lighter than the BD Megawatt. I really can't think of a better touring ski.

If Moment's other skis are this dialed I won't be buying another brand for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the review.

I'm looking for a mellower 1 quiver ski and the Bibbys are looking more like it all the time.

Come on student loans.

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Could you actually hold an edge & carve on groomers without skidding it sideways? That's a biggie for me, looking for a rockered ski that can still edge well & doesn't perform like a snowlerblade when it gets flat.
    To chime in. Fat Yeti let me ski his pair on Saturday. I skied (notice, only one i in skied) mostly side country on them. They were super light, which was nice on the shoulder for the hike, and really poppy, floaty, twisty-flippy while skiing. I really liked them off the backside, but on my last run I decided to ski a groomer just to see how they would handle. I was really impressed. I have been skiing Praxis Powders all year, so take this next statement with a grain of salt, but I felt like I was on GS skis when I was on the groomer. I would have no hesitancy about taking these things out on an icey day.
    Thanks Shane

This is one of my favorite rockered skis as well. Hey fat yeti..my wrist is still jacked...yeah, you know who this is

123 ski I hope it gets better, that looked like it hurt. You skiing Saturday? Of all the rockerd skis Ive been on Protest, Hellbents, Praxis Powders, S7 188 and 176, and Praxis Mtn Freerides this would be my choice for a one ski quiver I have to say I like it as much as the protest in the powder. It ability all over the moutain is impressive.
    Last edited by fat yeti; 04-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.

www.levelninesports.com

So has any body skied both the 186 and the 190 Bibbies? Curious how you thought the differences were and how they compared. I've had a chance to ski the 186's this past week and half here in UT in all conditions, and I mean all conditions (if your here you know I speak the truth) and I absolutly love these skis. Wish they were mine. I'am interested in the 190 also and wondering how they compare? Are they as turny and surfy as the 186's in the trees and stuff?
    NOTICE- Our public bar is presently not open right now because it is closed. Manager

The 09/10 190 seems a different beast -- camber is back. The 186 is pretty much flat underfoot. I'm curious as to how these differ in all mountain conditions.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    The 09/10 190 seems a different beast -- camber is back. The 186 is pretty much flat underfoot. I'm curious as to how these differ in all mountain conditions.
    190 is also much stiffer.

Two completely different skis.

http://www.biglines.com/blarticles/4..._Pros_-_Review

How does this ski stack up against the Bent Chetler, JJ and the comi?

oh and the Night Train if anyone has tried it?

I cant belive I forgot the T in moment for the title, I tried to edit but it wont let me edit the title does any one know how.
    Thanks

www.levelninesports.com

Hey T - great review! Lets get out this week! 125+ inches in the last 9 days and more on the way!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

So on a pure powder day which would you choose: Bibby or Protest?

That is tough decsion, probably depend on my mood and how deep the snow was. They both are great skis the protest is a bit more stable at speed in the pow, but you get more face shoots with the bibby.

www.levelninesports.com

wow this is a great thread. So crazy how hybrids seem to be the best thing to come out of the reverse reverse experimentation. I would never have predicted that I might be riding a ski that is almost 120 underfoot every day next season, but it very well may be so. I would LOVE a side by side on the 190 Bibby, 193 EHP, and 188 CRJ although I am sure you cannot go wrong with any of them. marshal ? Anybody ?

I rode fat yeti's bibby's as well but only for a run. My daily driver is the 181 thug so I'm used to a bigger turn radius and long arcs at speed. I did like them a lot but didn't fall in love. I honestly like my thug a lot better though I like how having tip rocker gives more confidence at speed. The shorter running length and shape made it so if I even thought of leaning on a groomer the ski was already turning, not a bad thing but different from what I'm used to.

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Of all the rockerd skis Ive been on [...] S7 188
    Could you elaborate on the comparison between the Bibby Pros as the S7s? They seem quite similar...

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Could you elaborate on the comparison between the Bibby Pros as the S7s? They seem quite similar...
    I thought the s7 was super washy when you pressured the tails to the point of getting super back seatified, the 186 Bibby is easier to stand on top of, allowing you to pivot your turn better. I have skied my Bibby pro's in every thinkable condition including icy rain a few days ago the snow was terrible the Ski was fine, it does suck in firm bumps, but so does everything else.