11 Day Kayaking Road Trip...

So a good friend and I are planning on taking an 11 day trip this summer, to hike, climb and kayak...

WE ARE NOT EXPERT KAYAKERS BY ANY MEANS...

So I'm just looking for some input on some cool areas along our route that we could hit up, and not get killed...

Below is a map of our planned stops, and any areas along the way, or not too far out of the way, would definitely be considered..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,28.564453&z=6

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Boom Heir; 04-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

In route to Boulder you should make a stop in Fort Collins and spend on the Poudre.
    Vernal = get a day permit for Split mtn on the green.

Good class II- III water in the Snake near Jackson. Fun III-IV stuff nearby too. Lots of camping around too so no need to get a hotel.

En route to jackson either dropping from livingston down to Gardiner for the yellowstone river, or bozeman to big sky, for the Gallatin would be fun. There's good climbing in Gallatin cyn right above the Class 3/4 house rock section.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

There's also good climbing and fishing on the Madison It's been over ten years but if I remember correctly, where the highway crosses the river just before you get to the Bear Trap Canyon t/o, just downstream from the bridge there was a nice wall on river left. It had a lot of bolted climbs. Yeah, there is a ton of climbing in the Gallatin canyon.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Need more info. When is this trip and what sort of boating are you looking for?

Lots of good class III, IV, V boating in the Kern River Valley in CA...or the Kings or American Rivers a little further north. The Domeland Wilderness is right here, too...not to mention Yosemite is just up the road.

Your best bets for paddling along that route are on the Glacier to Jackson leg. As mentioned previously, the Alpine Canyon section of the Snake is a fun II-III that always has something to play on. There is also a good climbing spot called the Rodeo Wall on the way down to the paddling spots. No need for a hotel in Jackson unless you want to hit the town. There's good camping along the Snake and up the Grey's River outside of Alpine. The only thing is that the paddling is away from all the stuff that everyone goes to see in Jackson. So, if you want to be a tourist bag on the kayaking and go hike in the Tetons.

The Galatin, south of Bozeman, has some more fun III with a little IV. Around Missoula you've got the Alberton Gorge on the Clark Fork which is also II-III.

I can't tell how you'll drive from Utardia to the Front Range, but if you are on I-70, stop in Glenwood Springs and surf their whitewater park. It's right off the highway, doesn't require a shuttle, and it is super fun.

Skip the Front Range. Coming from Vernal, get off I-70 in the high country and come down and do some boating on the Arkansas. Tons of good class III (or harder), good climbing near Buena Vista, and a bunch of 14ers are within a day hike. Then you can just drive down to the Springs and get back onto the interstates to get back wherever you need to go!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Not a boating suggestion but if you are stopping in Vernal, hit up The High Uinta Wilderness right next door, for hiking and peak bagging. It is one of the nicer areas in Utah and totally different than the southern Utah stuff, lots of high alpine lakes and almost deserted. The highest peak in Utah is located there too. Dinosaur National Monument is in the area too, and it is worth a stop, there are some amazing fossils and great hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Need more info. When is this trip and what sort of boating are you looking for?
    The trip is potentially going to be either in early June, or after July 18th. Either way will work for both of us, but we haven't decided which time slot would be better.

And as far as what kind of boating I'm not entirely sure. My friend in Bozeman and I rented some boats last year in July and ran the Gallatin and that was a lot of fun, so something comparable to that difficulty.

And thanks to everyone for the input! Alot of ideas that I'm sure neither of us would have though of! (Keep it coming!)
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

For climbing in the morning and boating in the afternoon, moab has good Class II-III right near the pinnacles, Alpine canyon has the rodeo wall sport area and awesome surf on the river. Surfboard is better than kayak there. Gallatin has good climbing right at the put-in to good boating. Depending on the time of year you could float the Zion Narrows which is the undisputed best Class III expedition run in North America. Lots of canyoning there and in the San Rafel swell.

How much travelling you willing to do from Boulder? And what kind of climbing? If your looking for easy sport routes with lots of gapes and posers then you probably want to hit up the sport park in Boulder Canyon or Table Mountain above the brewery in Golden.

If your lookin to do some real climbing then theres practically thousands of routes waitin for ya. Feel free to hit me up if you want ANY info. I can get ya started on the right path. For realz dont hesitate to ask.

For paddling in the Boulder area-there's not tons of quality stuff unless you can travel a little. In your range i would recommend running Lower South Boulder Creek closest to Boulder. Fun, easy, scenic class 3/4ish creek with 3 class V drops which are easy to walk but probably would want a guide to recognize 'em. It's a dam release run though and the shuttle is one of the longer ones but not terrible. Of course Boulder Creek through town is always an option but a major shitshow usually......though the FINE women floating on innertubes might make it worth it. Also Alto-Alto up by Nederland can be a good time with enough water(class 3+/4)

If you travel to Golden you can get on the playpark(lame), or drive up to clear creek canyon for some roadside class 3 and 4. There's a few sections here...again feel free to hit me up for beta. The dumont stretch up by idaho springs is a super fun one.

For other intermediate/advanced stuff in the area I would also not miss the Poudre up in ft collins. Bout an hour north of Boulder. Super easy shuttles, hitchhiking, roadside class 3/4. Lots of put-in/get out options. Do middle narrows if you feel like taking a small step up onto some 4+. The Rustics should be flowin good around then if your looking for more class3/4 mileage.

If you get here early June you shouldnt be disappointed. Have fun, drop me a pm if you need any further advice....routes, restaurants, runs, directions,etc..
    Last edited by Flowtorch; 04-11-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: forgot stuff