Rocky Slayer SXC vs Devinci Hectik

Narrowing down the bike selection for my AM rig.

A deal just came up at a local shop for 2008 Slayer SXC 30. Parts spec is good but not amazing. It has short stays and a 68 head angle. I would have liked 67, if I find it a bit steep I can put in a Cane Creek +5 headset to get 0.5 slacker.

Other option for about $200 less is a 2008 Devinci Hectik 1. Again it has the short stays I want and is slack at 67. Spec is maybe a bit better.

On the Rocky site it does not list bb height, it gives bb drop to the centre of the axles. Anyone have the calculation to turn that into bb height with say 2.5 Nevagel on the front and a 2.35 on the back?

Just how crappy is the 55? Acording to embtybeer all 08 Marz product should be thrown in the ocean. True or just the usual emptybeer idiots?

Don't want to spend much upgrading either of these as that cuts into my DH bike fund.

Any opinions?

i will just say that the 55 is probably the most awful, terrible fork on the face of the planet. half the damn parts aren't even machined to spec and that shit rattles around. also, when you break it (when, not if), marz will take at least 6 weeks to return it to you. disregard that they have a service centre in vancouver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Agreed on the slopiness of the 55. Lots of problems that are apparently "normal" The six week thing we are not experiencing. Sucks people are waiting that long.

Nothing to add...

Let's hear about the DH bike plan

I was looking at the Hectic & SCX last fall and decided to buy a Frantic this winter. I was leaning towards the Hectic, it seemed to ride a little nicer. Devinci frames are also still built in Canada whereas Rockey's have been sourced out to the other side of the Pacific.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I was looking at the Hectic & SCX last fall and decided to buy a Frantic this winter. I was leaning towards the Hectic, it seemed to ride a little nicer. Devinci frames are also still built in Canada whereas Rockey's have been sourced out to the other side of the Pacific.
    I've learned that last years Slayer SXC's were some of the last ones done in the factory. So buy a 09 Slayer SXC and you are getting oversea's get and 08 and you get the last of the Canadian built.

I am hearing more horror story's on the 55's. A friend had to send his in 4 times last year. Not something I want. I rebuilt my Lyric Coil twice at home last season and it was a no brainer.

Just to clear up any confusion on "built in" vs. "made in". Built means that there is Canadian assembly of parts. Transition bikes are also "built in" Canada, since I custom build them at my shop. The frames are welded in Taiwan. "Made in" Canada has not been done by either RM or Devinci for over 5 years now at any level. The bike industry just loves hanging on to nostalgic old myths and using them for marketing purposes.

-m

I rocked a slayer 30 in Sun Valley last year for a few days. One of the absolute most fun bikes I have ever ridden, just ripped it... Possibly some of the fastest I've ridden down hill versus my usual more XC/AM rides... It climbs like ass but is a hell of a bike...
    Andre Shoumatoff - Park City UT

The Slayer SXC 30 going for $1,495? That's quite a deal, although maybe not with that fork.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Just to clear up any confusion on "built in" vs. "made in". Built means that there is Canadian assembly of parts. Transition bikes are also "built in" Canada, since I custom build them at my shop. The frames are welded in Taiwan. "Made in" Canada has not been done by either RM or Devinci for over 5 years now at any level. The bike industry just loves hanging on to nostalgic old myths and using them for marketing purposes.

-m
    Devinci is actually still welding and machining parts in-house in Chicoutimi Quebec.

The Pinkbike guys did a factory tour back in October.

I know Rocky has actually welded fewer and fewer models in-house, but it's my understanding that the SXC was one of those models last year.

Neither are front runners because of any built in Canada status, it's more to do with geometry and price. Gotta stick to my budget of $1500 for an AM rig thus allowing me to add a big bike to the mix.

Ride them both and go with what feels the best. That has always worked for me.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.