Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    And please take video
    I have video of another mission using a small artillery shell. We went on a pyrotechnics spree for a while when we were teenagers, having acquired a bunch of good shit from Wyoming using lawn mowing money etc.

So here's my little brother setting the artillery tube on top of a ladder, under the nest. We had to douse the house with the garden hose immediately afterwards. This was before the bottle rocket technique was perfected. Man I wish we had taken vids of all the little shitstunts we did with bottle rockets and model rocket engines.

recc to Mustonen still stands... bust out the firepower

Maybe you just need bigger badder hornets:

First live 'murder hornet' of 2021 spotted attacking a wasp nest in Washington

(CNN) Entomologists in Washington state are setting up traps and urging people to be on the lookout after a "murder hornet" was spotted attacking a paper wasp nest this week near the US-Canadian border.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

They sleep at night…. Any wasp mission at my house is on graveyard shift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I remember this thread was full of useful advice
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=328722
    If this thread wasn’t a shining example of the TGR Braintrust I don’t know what is.

We settled on fire and spray and a hose. Not necessarily in that order.
    I still call it The Jake.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Hornets/bees nests

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Watched my brother do this job perfectly with a goddamned bottle rocket. It was glorious.

Please try this.
    And please take video

I very much want to try this, but I do not have bottle rockets handy.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    If this thread wasn’t a shining example of the TGR Braintrust I don’t know what is.

We settled on fire and spray and a hose. Not necessarily in that order.
    Some good counsel there.

My biggest problem is how inaccessible the damn thing is. I can hit it with spray but just barely, and I can’t get all sides because it’s right over the retaining wall for my driveway. So on a ladder I’m close enough to hit it on the one side, but no hope of getting close on the other. On my 5th can of spray.

Second problem is they seem very minimally bothered by the “kills on contact” poison. It doesn’t kill on contact. It barely kills at all. It makes them a little drunk and the weaker ones pass out. Maybe they don’t wake up. But I can’t help but think I’m just tossing the fuckers on a bender while strengthening the herd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628955783.211496.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	382235

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628955821.130491.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	382236

Not dead.
    focus.

Hornets/bees nests

Pressure washer with 0 degree nozzle are staged. After sundown this fucker is coming down.

Somehow, in spite of torturing these assholes like an 11 year old for the last week, I have not been stung. I hear bald faced hornets suck, though.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Pressure washer with 0 degree nozzle are staged. After sundown this fucker is coming down.

Somehow, in spite of torturing these assholes like an 11 year old for the last week, I have not been stung. I hear bald faced hornets suck, though.
    We all hope your audiovisual team is staged well for this evening’s battle.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

How about a big bucket or tub of water and a pole saw? Do it at night and you might catch all of them.

How about a big bucket or tub of water and a pole saw? Do it at night and you might catch all of them.
    Definitely guaranteed hilarity - you go first.

Yeah. I’m going to park a 5 gallon bucket below this fucking hornets nest that’s way up in a tree and drop it in like Steph Curry. And then…. ?
    focus.

And please take video

So the pressure washer thing is unnerving. I’m not getting any flybys or anything, but it’s just shredding the nest slowly. Pieces keep falling off and there are definitely still live hornets in there.

A coworker offered to swing by with his shotgun. Might take him up on that.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I have video of another mission using a small artillery shell. We went on a pyrotechnics spree for a while when we were teenagers, having acquired a bunch of good shit from Wyoming using lawn mowing money etc.

So here's my little brother setting the artillery tube on top of a ladder, under the nest. We had to douse the house with the garden hose immediately afterwards. This was before the bottle rocket technique was perfected. Man I wish we had taken vids of all the little shitstunts we did with bottle rockets and model rocket engines.

recc to Mustonen still stands... bust out the firepower
    And he delivers!! Thanks for sharing the radness. I have a stash of bottle rockets (and mortars, etc.) but not sure we live close enough that it could help.

With the pressure washer I would probably try to focus on the connection between the nest and the tree. Drop the thing and then demolish.

Best of luck. Keep us updated with video

Hornets/bees nests

I’ve been preoccupied with this fucking thing for a week and at this point my girlfriend isn’t interested in my antics and definitely has no interest in being in the vicinity. The video would be super boring anyways just me standing on top of a ladder, spraying the nest. The video won’t pick up my wobbly knees, though it might have picked up my panic when I received a text and was sure I had hornets in my shorts.

Anyways, I’m out of spectracide after knocking half of it down and smothering the soggen lumps with poison. Knocking the rest of the nest down without an opportunity to spray it down with foam seems like it could be a tactical blunder. I’ve called a cease fire for the evening.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’ve been preoccupied with this fucking thing for a week and at this point my girlfriend isn’t interested in my antics and definitely has no interest in being in the vicinity. The video would be super boring anyways just me standing on top of a ladder, spraying the nest. The video won’t pick up my wobbly knees, though it might have picked up my panic when I received a text and was sure I had hornets in my shorts.

Anyways, I’m out of spectracide after knocking half of it down and smothering the soggen lumps with poison. Knocking the rest of the nest down without an opportunity to spray it down with foam seems like it could be a tactical blunder. I’ve called a cease fire for the evening.

I still call it The Jake.

Hornets/bees nests

Yet to see any suggestion of gasoline, and frankly, I am disappointed in all of you.

Garden sprayer with gas, soak nest, ignition, see you in hell motherfuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Yet to see any mention of gasoline, and frankly, I am disappointed in all of you.

Listen, goddamnit. If I could get fire up there, even in a grossly irresponsible way, I would have by now. The bottle rocket suggestion is the only one so far that had any legs and I’m all out of fucking bottle rockets.
    focus.

^^^knock the rest down and go inside for a while. The hornets will leave to build another nest. You can always burn the remaining nest later to make s’mores.

Just keep an eye out they don’t build another one around you. The little ones are easy to take out with a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Yet to see any suggestion of gasoline, and frankly, I am disappointed in all of you.

Garden sprayer with gas, soak nest, ignition, see you in hell motherfuckers.

This ^^ especialy in fire season start a fire an burn down the town, you will have a bigger problem than wasps

actualy the night stalker suggestion is a good one IME, as oposed to being buck nekid being samrt enough to wear all your most quilted ski gear and the goggles will keep you from getting stung, hit that entrance hole with the wasp bomb they won't even make it out of the nest go to bed and take a look in the morning

leave the old nest up so other wasps stay away
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-14-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

They're going to chew through the wall during the night and GET YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^knock the rest down and go inside for a while. The hornets will leave to build another nest. You can always burn the remaining nest later to make s’mores.

Just keep an eye out they don’t build another one around you. The little ones are easy to take out with a hose.
    I’m inside for awhile. I would like to kill the majority of the fuckers. I hope they have enough to call home so that I can finish the job tomorrow after resupplying.
    focus.

No nests involved yet, but just saw my first tarantula hawk of the season cruising around. They’re just a beautiful insect.

For the last week these fuckers have been popping up in the house. Over the last few days it's been a bloody battle of attrition where I've killed about 50 a day against our north facing windows.

All three of our cats have been wounded in action but the kitten is still on high alert and spotting the bastards as soon as they appear.

Yesterday I found the very active nest. The bastards had burroughed through the cedar siding. Since the nest was in the house and not in the ground I could not use my go to "gas and a match" ground wasp control method.

It just so happens today was our scheduled post control treatment. Take that, little fuckers!

Although, I am confident this will wipe them out, I still have no idea how they have gotten into the interior of the house. I just cannot find their infiltration point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I gotta say... that's one of my worst nightmares. Bald faced hornets *in* the house? FTS.