Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hornets/bees nests

Well, spring is here, im a new home owner and these fuckers are building nests under my overhang out back. 3 nests were little so i knocked them down. 4th one was a little smaller than golf ball, i thought i had missed it when i moved in. Well, i went to knock it down and a fucking hornet came out of it like a bat out of hell. Obviously i ran in the house like a bat out of hell.

Whats the best way to combat these bitches. one of the fucking bees already back rebuilding! 10min after i fucking knocked it down.

So is Raid the way to go? I want to stomp this before it gets out of hand. Is there something i can throw out back that attracts bees and kills them off?

Is it better to launch my all out assault at night? Or can bees see fine at night. My thoughts are during the day so i can see the little bastards after me if one does make an escape during my "RAID". Although as a kid my cousin stepped on an inground nest. They fucking literally chased us, it dont matter if you see them or not.
    Last edited by cramer; 03-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.

This seems to be the best plan of attack:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2243176

id have to burn my house down for that solution. After further googling, knocking their newly started nest is a complete waste of time. they just rebuild. The good news is though, isnt the queen the one who builds the nest? I could be in luck if i launch the assault now.

Uhh there's some spray for it...probably has directions on the can, seemed to work for our house

Find a balloon. Fill it with gasoline. Drop it near the bee's from a second story window. Light resulting puddle on fire just as a UPS man comes up the walkway. Explain to police why you were dropping fire bombs. Clean up mess before wife gets home. Tell everyone on TGR chat about it.

Snowslider can probably tell you in a little more detail.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Raid at night when it is cooler and they are less active AND all in the hive. Bee and wasp which is a foam you can shoot at a distance and coats the hive and kills them as they come through trying to get out.

What about leaving a hive. If you have aphids or some other bug in a tree the wasps will swarm and devour the little pricks trying to kill your tree. Just a thought, they aren't all badness. Of course it they are right over top of where you want to enjoy your sweet syrupy drinks then it isn't that fun.

My dog as a pup chomped one 10 feet from an underground hive. They swarmed her in like 5 seconds. I guess the chomped one released a pheronome that alerts the others instantly. Wasn't pretty.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    Raid at night when it is cooler and they are less active AND all in the hive. Bee and wasp which is a foam you can shoot at a distance and coats the hive and kills them as they come through trying to get out.

What about leaving a hive. If you have aphids or some other bug in a tree the wasps will swarm and devour the little pricks trying to kill your tree. Just a thought, they aren't all badness. Of course it they are right over top of where you want to enjoy your sweet syrupy drinks then it isn't that fun.

My dog as a pup chomped one 10 feet from an underground hive. They swarmed her in like 5 seconds. I guess the chomped one released a pheronome that alerts the others instantly. Wasn't pretty.
    Well, problem is, they building right above my friggin padio door. Well one of them is. If it was on the side of the house where i never went, i would probably just leave it alone and knock it down in the fall or winter. Ya, im going to go with the raid attack it sounds like. Thanks for the tip for doing it at night. So does the queen build the nests? These are literally startups. They havent been there more than a few days. One of them is getting rather large, well, almost golfball and only one hornet flew out.

well i took a couple shots of jager, grabbed a beer and the garden hose. All nests down. 3 bees out in my yard somewhere drying off. So it should be easy pickings with the raid tomorrow while they trying to build.

you could send them to berzerkeley, they bee-coming a bee-friendly zone!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA5416KTE8.DTL
    Bee habitats proposed for Berkeley parks
    If you thought Berkeley was buzzing with eco-activity before, just wait until Tuesday.

The City Council is poised to transform all the city's parks and open spaces into habitats for bees. If the council approves the resolution, all future landscaping would be "pollinator-friendly" flowering native plants intended to attract bees, bats, butterflies, moths, hummingbirds, beetles and flies.

"I think it's fantastic. This is exactly what we're trying to promote," said Jaime Pawelek, a researcher in urban bee ecology at UC Berkeley's Department of Environmental Science Policy and Management. "The Bay Area is a leader in the environmental movement - hopefully the rest of the country will follow this."

But those who like to eat at the parks or roll in the grass, such as young kids, aren't so sure. After all, more bees means more bee stings.

"Maybe they could put the bees in parks where kids never go," said Charles Cobb, who was playing with his two children at Codornices Park last week. "It seems like a good idea, but I'd worry about having them too close."

The city's proposing that the bee landscaping be planted at least 30 feet from children's play areas, barbecues, garbage cans and picnic tables. Staff would also post signs in the parks explaining the importance of bee habitats.

"Thirty feet is not enough," said Kristen Burmester, who was at Codornices Park with her two youngsters. "If you had a kid who was allergic to bees, it would cut out all parks. And I wonder about population control."

City officials proposed the idea about six months ago, after reading news reports about the global decline of pollinators, particularly bees. Pollinators are essential for plant reproduction, especially food sources such as fruit and nut trees, berries and many vegetables.

Pesticides and habitat reduction are the main culprits behind the bees' decline, Pawelek said. But an increase in native flowering plants would be a big help for bees and other pollinators.

"It's extremely important, if we ever want to eat an apple or pear again," she said. "If we lose bees, we'll just be eating rice and corn, which are wind pollinated."

Park users should not worry about stumbling across a hive and being attacked by a swarm of irate bees, she said. Most native bees live alone in the ground or hollow tree trunks, and only the females can sting.

Furthermore, they're more likely to fly away or simply buzz loudly if they're irritated. Stinging is not their first choice, she said.

"They're actually afraid of us," she said. "I've been handling bees for years and never been stung."

Former City Councilwoman Betty Olds was among those who first championed municipal bee advocacy. A former bee keeper, she said she was concerned about the species' decline and wanted to help.

Mayor Tom Bates was also an early supporter.

"I read about the bees declining and thought, 'This is terrible. What can we do?' " he said. "Making our parks pollinator-friendly is totally possible and economically feasible, and a good way to help bees in our city."

The landscaping plan will not cost any more than the city's regular landscaping budget, according to city staff.

Lars Henri, who was with his 3-year-old at Codornices Park, said he loved the idea.

"Bring on the bees," he said. "Definitely more people will get stung. Bees are vital to the world, and we need them."

Bee resolution

The City Council is scheduled to vote on the bee resolution at its meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Old City Hall, 2134 Martin Luther King Way, Berkeley.

The saga continues....Im smoking, etc, do another look around through the overhang and holy sheepshit. There's a nest 10 times the size of the rest. Right above my satelite dishes. (mine are on the ground) Well, i had to give it a go. So i shot it with the hose from the opposite side of direct hit hoping to flush out some bees. No luck. The bee's i saw were babies . I wasnt looking to kill off newbies, but well, i had to finish what i started. Some pics from the carnage. I didnt get a pic of original nest, well, because i didnt think of it.

As you can see, i didnt get all of it. They build well. I'm completely soaked from standing underneath this thing trying to get all..

Shots of my dishes so you understand why i didnt really crawl in between them to look. I have 2 dishes because my wife is fillipino to head that off now:

the aftermath on the padio:

a couple of dead baby bee's and various parts of their nest.

and a chunk of that big ass nest:

Sorry for lousy photos, im a little buzzed and my camera only 8mp no lense or anything.

Smokey McPole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    Whats the best way to combat these bitches.
    You should climb up a ladder and pummel that nest with your twanker.

Fillipinos need two dishes???

Yes, more info on Filipinas. Fascinating.

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    well i took a couple shots of jager, grabbed a beer and the garden hose. All nests down. 3 bees out in my yard somewhere drying off. So it should be easy pickings with the raid tomorrow while they trying to build.

You seem to be having problems grasping the issue here... When you use a hose, or just knock the nests down, the adults live on... and after spending the night hanging out somewhere else come back to get to work on their building project again. Although it's possible you'll win with this pestering method by just outlasting them...

The correct way to do it is; wait until after dark WHEN THE ADULTS ARE IN THE NEST AND NOT ACTIVE, then spray it with bee/wasp spray to kill them. The fact that the actual nest is still hanging there for another day or two won't matter. In fact, leaving it there is a good thing, any of them that were on vacation and return in the next 24 hours are likely to be killed off from residual spray on the nest.

Edit: FYI, it's a patio.

Quote Originally Posted by mocwvmit View Post

The correct way to do it is; wait until after dark WHEN THE ADULTS ARE IN THE NEST AND NOT ACTIVE, then spray it with bee/wasp spray to kill them. The fact that the actual nest is still hanging there for another day or two won't matter. In fact, leaving it there is a good thing, any of them that were on vacation and return in the next 24 hours are likely to be killed off from residual spray on the nest.

Edit: FYI, it's a patio.
    I was pretty clear on this a few posts up with a few less details. He thanked me, said he'd try it and then pulled the hose out again. Not too sure how that worked. Seem to have some language issues or something. Padio is an Irish uncle or something isn't it?

Good thing he's not dealing with beavers, they'd just wear him down with their tenacity and then drown him.
    Last edited by L7; 03-28-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    I was pretty clear on this a few posts up with a few less details. He thanked me, said he'd try it and then pulled the hose out again. Not too sure how that worked. Seem to have some language issues or something. Padio is an Irish uncle or something isn't it?

Good thing he's not dealing with beavers, they'd just wear him down with their tenacity and then drown him.
    Yeah, yours wasn't even really less detailed... and I posted because I could see the disconnect. I wonder if he left any other clues in his posts that would explain it?

well i took a couple shots of jager, grabbed a beer and the garden hose...
    Nope. Must be a language issue... wonder if we typed it in Irish with a Filipino accent, or Filipino with an Irish accent if he'd get it then?

Edit: Oh, and please send these tenacious beavers my way... I think I'm up to that job!!!
    Last edited by mocwvmit; 03-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Perhaps Filipino with an Irish accent while pouring Jager on the keyboard. That might straighten the whole thing out.

The beavers have large teeth.... just keep that in mind.

i knocked the nests down because i figured it would be easier to kill them with the raid tonight.

thanks for the advice gents. 4 casualties to report with my 22 feet shooting raid. It was like shooting ducks on a pond. They were too busy rebuilding to see me coming. So my plan worked. Next time, thanks for the advice, ill leave the nests up and soak it to kill the worker drones that come in for repairs. I'm sure the battle isnt over, but i drank, smoked and sat in peace on my "PATIO" tonight.

As for the fillipino stuff, to get the flip channels you need a 2nd dish? WTF, you launch all kinds of fucking sat's for HD and you cant seem to figure out a solution for NOT adding a 2nd dish....

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Find a balloon. Fill it with gasoline. Drop it near the bee's from a second story window. Light resulting puddle on fire just as a UPS man comes up the walkway. Explain to police why you were dropping fire bombs. Clean up mess before wife gets home. Tell everyone on TGR chat about it.

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post

Yeah, a definite high point in my recent life! The wifey actually knows about it now. She just stared at me and shook her head. Yes, I'm an idiot. Did I ever mention that said UPS guy was attempting to deliver my wife's offer letter/package (for a new job) to our house when he walked into the crosshairs?
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

As for the fillipino stuff, to get the flip channels you need a 2nd dish? WTF, you launch all kinds of fucking sat's for HD and you cant seem to figure out a solution for NOT adding a 2nd dish....
    That is a very very disappointing answer to the Filipina question. I was hoping for something much stranger.

Well, i went to knock it down and a fucking hornet came out of it like a bat out of hell. Obviously i ran in the house like a bat out of hell showing the neighborhood what a pussy I really am.
    Fixed it for ya.

You need to first shave your head into a mullet, buy an early vintage Camaro, then drive immediately to the local fireworks stand to buy your arsenal. Return hom with said arsenal and begin the assault. Don't forget to swing by on the way to the house and pick up some Old Milwaulkee to fortify yourself.

Long time bump.

Look what I found in the yard today….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02884.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	157055

Name:	DSC02885.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	157056

Name:	DSC02886.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	157057

It's about basketball sized, definitely not an overnight thing. Been getting within a few feet of the nest all summer when mowing the lawn, never got stung or buzzed. Wish they were in a more secluded part of the yard, I'm really gunna hate destroying these guys since they have been so tame with me but the hive is literally a foot from the path.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Look what I found in the yard today….

that my friend is a Baldfaced Hornet nest.

More info: NatureMapping Animal Facts Bald-faced Hornet

If you do decide to do away with the nest I recommend this: Spectracide® Wasp & Hornet Killer. HD carries it.