Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    He may have been stoned, I can't remember. It would make it a little easier to understand how he came to think that dropping a gasoline firebomb from the second story of his house was a good idea.

Hornets/bees nests

Moved into a new house a couple weeks ago. Just noticed a basketball-sized bald faced hornets nest in a tree, hanging about 25 feet over the driveway. If it was in a different location Iíd consider leaving itÖ. But the damn thing sketches me out and thus hundreds of hornets must die.

Anyways, canít seem to kill it. I have to get up on a ladder to spray it, and Iíve soaked it several times now in the foaming killer spray stuff, and the next dayÖ.still buzzing merrily about, with a handful of dead hornets below the nest. For a while I took to tossing rocks and sticks at it to see if I could knock it down andÖ. Well we can just say that plan wasnít fully formed. I revised my plan when one of them came after me after I landed a direct hit. Hit me like a bullet on my chest, and then all I could hear was buzzing. Shirt came off and I ran like a bullet into the house. No stingsÖ..

Anyways. Now I have a bunch of pissy hornets swarming a misshapen nest and they seem immune to the spray. I hosed it down again with the foam today after work and there isnít much activity, so maybe it just took a while? My plan is to hose it down again tonight and maybe knock it down this weekend.

Any other ideas? My plan to knock it down was to toss sticks at it untilÖ.until I knocked it down. I donít have a better plan. Fuck climbing that high up a ladder to a goddamn hornets nest. Not happening. Even if it seems dead.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Moved into a new house a couple weeks ago. Just noticed a basketball-sized bald faced hornets nest in a tree, hanging about 25 feet over the driveway. If it was in a different location I’d consider leaving it…. But the damn thing sketches me out and thus hundreds of hornets must die.

Anyways, can’t seem to kill it. I have to get up on a ladder to spray it, and I’ve soaked it several times now in the foaming killer spray stuff, and the next day….still buzzing merrily about, with a handful of dead hornets below the nest. For a while I took to tossing rocks and sticks at it to see if I could knock it down and…. Well we can just say that plan wasn’t fully formed. I revised my plan when one of them came after me after I landed a direct hit. Hit me like a bullet on my chest, and then all I could hear was buzzing. Shirt came off and I ran like a bullet into the house. No stings…..

Anyways. Now I have a bunch of pissy hornets swarming a misshapen nest and they seem immune to the spray. I hosed it down again with the foam today after work and there isn’t much activity, so maybe it just took a while? My plan is to hose it down again tonight and maybe knock it down this weekend.

Any other ideas? My plan to knock it down was to toss sticks at it until….until I knocked it down. I don’t have a better plan. Fuck climbing that high up a ladder to a goddamn hornets nest. Not happening. Even if it seems dead.
    Garden hose....spray hard enough to knock it down and just keep the water coming. Once all the buzzing is done go around and step on any survivors...because if you don't...they WILL rebuild! If you have a second hose and a partner...all the merrier.

25 feet up? Shit.
    focus.

Moved into a new house a couple weeks ago. Just noticed a basketball-sized bald faced hornets nest in a tree, hanging about 25 feet over the driveway. If it was in a different location Iíd consider leaving itÖ. But the damn thing sketches me out and thus hundreds of hornets must die.

Anyways, canít seem to kill it. I have to get up on a ladder to spray it, and Iíve soaked it several times now in the foaming killer spray stuff, and the next dayÖ.still buzzing merrily about, with a handful of dead hornets below the nest. For a while I took to tossing rocks and sticks at it to see if I could knock it down andÖ. Well we can just say that plan wasnít fully formed. I revised my plan when one of them came after me after I landed a direct hit. Hit me like a bullet on my chest, and then all I could hear was buzzing. Shirt came off and I ran like a bullet into the house. No stingsÖ..

Anyways. Now I have a bunch of pissy hornets swarming a misshapen nest and they seem immune to the spray. I hosed it down again with the foam today after work and there isnít much activity, so maybe it just took a while? My plan is to hose it down again tonight and maybe knock it down this weekend.

Any other ideas? My plan to knock it down was to toss sticks at it untilÖ.until I knocked it down. I donít have a better plan. Fuck climbing that high up a ladder to a goddamn hornets nest. Not happening. Even if it seems dead.
    Name:  Image1628804652.732238.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  87.8 KB

Bald faced hornets? That's one job I'd *definitely* call in the professionals to take care of. NFW I'm going anywhere near a bald faced nest... much less do shit to make 'em angry.

I remember this thread was full of useful advice
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=328722

I had one buzzing around on the driveway, sick off the poison. So I did what any reasonable person would do and covered it in foam. Just a softball of poison foam on top of him. Thatís that, I thinkÖ.. nope. When the foam cleared heís still buzzing away and making jabbing stinging motions at me like heís fucking Deathstroke.
    focus.

hire a chimp, I hear those fuckers are mean

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    hire a chimp, I hear those fuckers are mean

Wolverines

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Sounds like time to bite the bullet and call a pro. No way I'd be comfortable close enough for a good spray stream (6-10' maybe despite the cans claims) with something that big (might need 2 cans) and that High.

Hornets/bees nests

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sounds like time to bite the bullet and call a pro. No way I'd be comfortable close enough for a good spray stream (6-10' maybe despite the cans claims) with something that big (might need 2 cans) and that High.
    We are now on our 4th can. After about 2/3 of the can the spray isnít strong enough to reach. So I use the rest on the handful of nests in the shed by the pool.

I will monitor for activity later. If I canít get it to quiet down by this weekend Iíll call somebody.

Fuckers.
    focus.

YouTube has lots of good recommendations on this.

A) Ladder, grocery bag,

B) shotgun

C) potatoe gun.

D) sling shot

Many of these approaches result in long falls, stings, probably a trip to the hospital.

Hornets/bees nests

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    YouTube has lots of good recommendations on this.

A) Ladder, grocery bag,

Many of these result in long falls, stings, probably a trip to the hospital.
    I saw that one!

(Fuck, now I have to go to gif school)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    focus.

So, fire, huh?
    focus.

So, fire, huh?
    Yep. And chimpanzees.

Redneck flamethrower .... Spray can of < almost anything> plus a lighter. Roast those little fuckers.

Is the best accessible by raccoon or skunk.

Apparently, because itís been so dry this year, meat bees/yellow jackets have been a problem in my area. They usually nest in ground burrows. I read, repeatedly, the recommendation to bait their nest to attract skunks and raccoons. The animals will apparently dig up and eat the whole nest. Anybody successfully done that? My biggest problem is that I canít find the damn nest(s)!

I noticed a basketball size wasp nest on my boat trailer few weeks ago. I was gonna spray it but a skunk or bear or raccoon or coyote or mountain lion ate first.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Mmmmmmmm ... crunchy!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Mmmmmmmm ... cronchy!
    Fixed it for you. What is this, 2017?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Redneck flamethrower .... Spray can of < almost anything> plus a lighter. Roast those little fuckers.
    with a 25' reach?? All the spray cans I ever played with as torches as a kid hit 5-6' max for range. His problem is its up high.

If you can get a redneck flamethrower to reach 25' I'd love to see the video!

Watched my brother do this job perfectly with a goddamned bottle rocket. It was glorious.

He stood under the wasp nest with his launch pipe, which was a piece of old wheedwhacker handle shaped like a big candy cane. He confidently chuckled while lighting the rocket, and the thing whooshed out of the pipe and jammed directly into the heart of the nest. A second later the thing exploded and sent the flaming remnants to the ground, where he stomped out the stunned stragglers.

Please try this.
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Watched my brother do this job perfectly with a goddamned bottle rocket. It was glorious.

He stood under the wasp nest with his launch pipe, which was a piece of old wheedwhacker handle shaped like a big candy cane. He confidently chuckled while lighting the rocket, and the thing whooshed out of the pipe and jammed directly into the heart of the nest. A second later the thing exploded and sent the flaming remnants to the ground, where he stomped out the stunned stragglers.

Please try this.
    And please take video