Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Sad... I have always enjoyed skiing because of people like Shane.
    rip
    Harvest the ride.

wow - one of the best people I ever met - an inspiring individual - I'm stunned
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I was fortunate enough a few years back to get a call from Bum Z - "hey Powstash, you want to go pick up Shane, Scott and Robb from their hotel and take them skiing at Alta?"

That was one of the coolest days on skis not for the conditions which were ok, but for the unbelievable amount of stoke you could see coming from Shane the the Gaffney bros as we ripped around Alta.

My kids have a "Shane" doll and have wanted to ski like Shane since they could first put on skis. This is gonna be tough telling them one of their heros has passed on.

RIP Shane and thank you.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I never knew the guy, but as I watched and "got to know" him over the years through movies and print, I feel like I did. The world is a lonelier place today. It so sad to see the great fall... I'll lift a glass to Shane tonight.
    Last edited by axebiker; 03-26-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

so tragic. RIP shane. you were and are my favorite and always put a smile on my face.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Damn, sucks. RIP Shane!

RIP, Shane. You were such an inspiration. ++++VIBES++++ for friends and family. You are seriously missed.

the news is tragic and saddening. Shane was such a tremendous athlete and person. RIP

Refused to open this thread for as long as I could. Still stunned to read the news. RIP, you were an inspiration to us all. Much love to the family.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Oh my God. Unbelievable. Best wishes to his family. Condolences to everyone... He meant so much to all of us. Simply awful. A hero has fallen.

RIP Mr. McConkey you will be missed, but never forgotten. You will ALWAYS be my hero!

VIVA MCCONKEY!
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 03-26-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Not to be flippant but people like Shane either die young or live to a hundred. There is no middle for special people like these. Almost like they live a life of divine and perfect hypocrisy; whereas most people believe life molds us, others like Shane mold life, challenge it with a smile, buck convention and find happiness far beyond anything that the hesitant, calculated, "realistic" person could obtain.

That is what I saw in Shane. RIP dude. I never cared if you were the best skier I saw in the movies, or read about in Freeze, you were the best at life.

met shane once, as we talked about a mutual friend who took him and some of his base jumping buddies to baffin isl. for one of their very first squirrel suit flights with red bull. very down to earth guy who had a real lust for life. a very bright star has been extingushed. not just the skiing worlds loss, but the worlds loss.
    RIP shane. my condolances to his family and many friends.RIP

These sort of made me smile:

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Your friends and fans in the Potato state will miss you, Shane.

Fly in Peace Shane you were never meant to be grounded or to rest.

Many condolences to friends and family
    Last edited by mtnjam; 03-26-2009 at 05:22 PM.

This is unbelievable. I always thought of McConkney as indestructible, the shit he could pull on skis (and snowlerblades/saucer or with a parachute or with just about anything) was just mind blowing. His sense of humor and lust for life really exemplified how we should all try to live.

I had the pleasure to meet him at a Mt. Snow X-games, a stupid autograph tent set up, but I thought it was so fucking cool that I got to talk to and get my picture taken with a true hero of mine. I realized that day that he was a mad cool guy too, he actually sat and there and shot the shit with everyone instead of just shuffling people along. Very down to earth.

If anyone needs any evidence of how important Shane was to the skiing community, I think that 9 pages of condolences/remembrances/sorrow in under 2 hours sums it up quite well. Shane was skiing.

++Major Vibes+++ to his family, friends, skiing buddies and to everyone who can feel that big empty hole that is now in the world of skiing.

RIP (endless pow) Shane
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Really?? I thought the other thread was BS

That is disturbing and so fucked up.

that is horrible, too sad.

condolences to those who knew him
    Hello darkness my old friend

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Total disbelief. I was fortunate enough to hang with him for a bit during the tram face comp... one of the nicest, most humble, and talented of people I ever had the pleasure of meeting. So very tragic, you'll be missed Shane. Wow, just the worst kind of news. I feel sick.

vibes to your family and friends....

Very, very sad. You will be missed Shane.

This is the saddest I will ever be when someone I have never met passes on. I am sick to my stomach. Thanks for the amazing stoke, Shane.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

A visionary skiing icon has passed.

RIP Shane.

All lives last different amounts of time. The quality of ones life cannot be measured in time. You can't say anyone died early, or late for that matter. Quality of life can be measured in happiness. Happiness shared with others, given to others, and had by ones self. Happiness that one creates during their lifetime.

I never knew Shane, and I feel like I really missed out. For those of you who knew him, you were lucky.

sad, way too sad.
    on the send bus to gnar town

Shane is someone who revolutionized the sport.
    "There's something about McConkey" is one of the funniest and BA displays of skiing ever.

You'll be missed.

How do we help out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    These sort of made me smile:

that's what I liked about the guy - a total dork, yet a superheo action figure

I feel bad for his wife and daughter - I can't help but think about what my wife and son would be going through right now....
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.