Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    the 15 pages of memories, thoughts and generally upset comments that have been posted over the past day says it all.

You'll be missed but never forgotten, Saucerboy.
    "Papa Muntz loved skiing, papa Muntz loved drinking, but what he loved most was drinking and skiing."

I spent four hours today skiing with my 4.5 yo, who has reached a point where she shreds ungroomed blues. It was, without any reservation, the best ski day of my life.
    I spoke with Shane every so often and I thought about him for a few moments today, curiously pondering how my ski life has been forever and gloriously altered now that I can play with my girl at the game closest to my heart.
    Best memory of Shane: He's winning the Vail series bump contest off Chair 10, maybe 1993. He throws a sick, jaw-dropping, never-seen-that-before back flip off the final kicker. Vail, at the time, didn't allow back flips. He was kicked out of the contest, which he was, of course, winning. He rode the lift to the top, shed his clothes and absolutely destroyed the bump course with a dingle-dangling backflip finale.
    He got a lifetime ban from Vail and moved to Tahoe. He forever wore that ban as the ultimate badge of badness.
    fucking fuck fuk. I'm crying tonight.
    -j
    On first

Drinking one for McConkey this evening.

You will be missed.

I am devastated, My wife is so sad. we are in shock! Its like Ive been punched in the stomach, kicked in the balls....so bummed.
    its weird but I was sliding on a saucer today thinking of Shane.
    RIP Shane
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 03-26-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I just got the phone call.
    This is not supposed to happen.
    It's like hearing that Superman died.
    What he said. Positive thoughts and prayers to his wife and family. This is horrible. Why can't all the really terrible people in this world die instead of the ones that do so much good and bring so many smiles to so many faces. I will never understand this.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky

This is tragic and very sad.

Thoughts go out to his family first and foremost, as well as the ski community in general.

damn......

Everything he has done for skiing will live on.... Legend
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'm just in shock, it's the only way I can put it.
    I'll always remember him as the visionary skier and personality that he was.
    The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving

Quote Originally Posted by quienes? View Post
    Best memory of Shane: He's winning the Vail series bump contest off Chair 10, maybe 1993. He throws a sick, jaw-dropping, never-seen-that-before back flip off the final kicker. Vail, at the time, didn't allow back flips. He was kicked out of the contest, which he was, of course, winning. He rode the lift to the top, shed his clothes and absolutely destroyed the bump course with a dingle-dangling backflip finale.
    He got a lifetime ban from Vail and moved to Tahoe.
    Wow.
    Never heard this story.
    What a character.
    Such a good person.
    So sad.

Pinch me ....... thoughts and prayers to his Family and loved ones.
    what an amazing person...

i just got the news two hours ago and we're on page 16 already with the vibes from the community. This news made me cry. It wasn't even a month ago, shane pulled over on Juniper Mtn. to give me and my buddy a ride back up to alpine. I don't even know what to say............. this is awful. f**k!!! shane, I barely knew you, but I miss you like I just lost a best friend. cheers buddy, you will be missed.

RIP, buddy.

Shocked.

+++VIBES+++ to family & friends.

My daughter has a poster of him on her wall.

I would always tease my family and say "Look, they took my picture again" pointing at a magazine pic of Shane in some ridiculous back-flip.

R.I.P. Shane! you inspired us all, re-invented what we do, and made sure we remembered to smile doing it!

Shane,

Thank you. Your creativity and innovation in ski design has made a profound impact on my skiing. I've been skiing Spatulas since March 2004. I offer you my gratitude for making skiing powder even more enjoyable. Your contributions to the sport will be missed, but never forgotten.

Sincerely,
    Bum Z
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

FUCK!
    RIP Shane.
    Thank you so much for all you did. Your legacy and inspiration will live FOREVER
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I just read this horrible news on Tony Hawk's twitter thread. Couldn't believe when I saw who he was talking about.

My heart breaks for his family. He was truly, truly an inspiration, a rockstar, and a role model all in one.

Truly, a horrible, horrible loss.

RIP, Shane.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Shane, you will forever define an era. You've impacted my life more than any one single person I've never met. From the way I look at a mountain to the skis that make skiing deep snow so much fun, Thank You.

Ugh. This still doesn't feel real.

McConkey,

You brought the stoke like no other, making so many lives so much fucking better than they were before!

THANK YOU!

"... there's nothing better than sliding down snow, flying through the air."

Don't know that I can say anything that hasn't been said yet. +RIP+

Don't know where my skiing would be without the influence of shane. Guy is truly a hero, a pioneer, and a great person. RIP to one of the greatest mountain men of all time.

I've been absorbing all this through the evening since my earlier post. I also watched "There's Something About McConkey" in an attempt to lighten my mood and get the world back into some semblance of balance for me... One "non-Shane" comment...

It really humbles me to see what kind of COMMUNITY skiers really are. The outpouring of grief, memories, stoke, and stories is what is so amazing about what we all live for. I hope this would make Shane proud. It has drawn many tears from me over the course of the evening, but it has also drawn as many smiles... Even in tragedy and grief, it's the sport and LIFEstyle that gives us the courage to rise above something so horrible.

Times like this are why I ski, and why I post here.

Here's to Shane...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Sad news, one of the first pro skiers I ever followed.

RIP Shane

Rest in Peace Shane... Never really been one to follow individual athletes but something struck a chord with me on your attitude, humour, and raw talent.

Charge big lines in the blower known as Heaven's clouds.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're goin' and hook up with 'em later.