Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    beyond words....
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Vibes +++++++

R.I.P. Shane...
    You changed our world as we know it.
    The way we see what is possible to the skis we ride.
    Vibes to the loved ones he left behind.

Sad news.

Met him once or twice in Boulder partying back in the day.

Was he Cliff Huck...?

Does a guy like this have life insurance?

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

No way, how is this possible?

this still isn't real for me yet... Shane MacConkey. His skiing helped me understand that almost anything is possible if you can sack up for it.

My best to his freinds and family, I'm going to go watch some of his ski movies, and then go get drunk tonight.

This is horrible... Shane was my first ski hero. When I heard the news yesterday I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me.

RIP Shane...

Quote Originally Posted by quienes? View Post
    Best memory of Shane: He's winning the Vail series bump contest off Chair 10, maybe 1993. He throws a sick, jaw-dropping, never-seen-that-before back flip off the final kicker. Vail, at the time, didn't allow back flips. He was kicked out of the contest, which he was, of course, winning. He rode the lift to the top, shed his clothes and absolutely destroyed the bump course with a dingle-dangling backflip finale.
    He got a lifetime ban from Vail and moved to Tahoe. He forever wore that ban as the ultimate badge of badness.
    -j
    Crying as I read this great story. We need more McConkey.
    Damn.

Three thoughts came through my head when I heard about this.
    Die Living.
    Only the good die young.
    Do not go gentle - these lines from Thomas -
    We need Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Every time I think about his family it hurts. Vibes to all his many friends and family.
    Wish I had known you - going to try to get a little more McConkey vibe in my life.

RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Terrible loss for everyone in the skiing community ++++ Vibes for Shane and his family

Still coming to grips with the news. It's not that I knew Shane as a friend, rather he was one of my hero's. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP Shane, you have inspired many.

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    he was this scrawny, cocky kid from California who had a great knack of skiing fast with finesse...
    I remember those days too. In fact, the only time I really met Shane was at an Eastern cup race at Whiteface in 1989. Shane beat a few of the US ski team and college guys who were mostly "unbeatable" for us kids and people were like who the fuck is this kid? I also remember Shane leading the hi jinx in a plan to pummel the Whiteface race coach (Horst Weber) with snowballs because he had thrown a bunch of racers skis that had been left in the wrong spot down into some trees. Back then I figured Shane would be on the US ski team racing world cup soon enough, but Shane obviously had other plans. Shane was one of the pioneers who made skiing fun again for a whole lot of people that otherwise would have burned out on skiing.

into that good night

I knew him: not well.

Respected him: TREMENDOUSLY

Hurt; way more then is logical for an acquaintance...

why?

I guess, as has been said here, he was just such an amazing personality and influence on so many.
    To lose such a talented, gracious soul....

Rest Well Shane, and know you are loved, honored and respected, beyond words.

Best wishes to those close that survive Shane.
    If it hurts those of us who were acquaintances or didn't even know him this much,
    i can only imagine the feelings of those close to him right now.

rip
    Last edited by holiday; 03-27-2009 at 09:51 AM.

I was sooooo shocked when I heard this last night. It is a sad day for the skiing world The man was amazing at skiing and changed the face of skiing w/ his ideas. My prayers go out to his family!!!

speechless...
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

A life lived with passion.

My condolences to all who knew him or knew of him.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

He was, and now will forever be an enigma to me. Sharing the same alma maters, I always felt a connection to him and hoped to meet him personally at some point in my life. Sad that will not happen... but even sadder to those close to him, his wife, his daughter. Tahoe crew, keep his momory alive and nurture his daughter to love life like he did.
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Thank you Shane for inspiring me to achieve some of my greatest successes in life.
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

I got the call yesterday afternoon, and I've been a wreck ever since. Hung out with him but a handful of times, yet he made such an impact on my life, as he had with all of us. The most approachable, nicest guy, with a smile bigger than life itself. You gave skiing soul, damnit. You invented a new way to slide and slarve and smile while doing it. You made the ski movie what it is today - a hilarious, pulse-pounding, goofy, McConkey-turnin', awe-inspiring, soulful, Saucer-Boy, skiing in front of explosions, backflipping off of everything, calling 'Wussy, wussy!' to up-and-comers, making fun of yourself, making fun of everyone else, laughing, wonderful new way to show off and goof off in front of a camera.

Shane, this should not be happening right now; I should not be writing these words right now. You should be growing old with your daughter, to teach her how to ski, to walk her down the aisle. You should be getting up every pow day, clicking in to your own inventions, and ripping the light towers, tram face, and the like. Tahoe lost a favorite son yesterday, Shane. We lost a friend, a father, Superman, an icon, a hero. The bars won't be the same without you, and neither will the mountains. The skiers won't be the same, but we'll carry your memory in every turn we float, in every line we scope, and in every beer we raise to you.

May the slope fall to your skis,
    May the sun beat proudly upon your glory,
    May the McConkey turns be endless and deep,
    May the beer flow cold and plentiful,
    And until we meet again, may the snow fall softly on your back all the days of the year.

Rest In Powder, bud. You are missed.
    Last edited by GapersGoHome; 03-27-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

indeed this is a major bummer.

Shane dedicated his life to to promote and progress our sport from filming to equipment design. All skiers owe him a heft of gratitude.

Thank you Shane - may your memory live on in all of us. Best to Sherry and Ayla.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    today i will drop a cliff. tonight i will raise a glass, and toast a life well lived by a man well loved.

goodbye Shane.
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

Shane changed the way I ski and I am forever indebted to him...watching 1999 was a daily feature in our Squaw house when we first arrived in Tahoe....

My heart goes out to his friends, family, and especially his daughter...

RIP and thanks, many thanks...
    Last edited by First Chair; 03-27-2009 at 10:44 AM.

RIP. and +++++Vibes to family and friends++++++++++

You were a man among men.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Devastating news. Met him at Squaw with my son and Shane was gracious and happy. His smile and goofy on-screen persona reached across the skiing divide in my own household, and transformed my less enthusiastic wife and daughter into fans, helping them understand our passion for the sport. He was an incredible athlete, and at the same time an accessible soul. My condolences to family and friends.

Shane was always my childhood hero. I remember watching ski flicks in the race shack just loving this guy. The sport of skiing has never been touched before like Shane has done. Truly an innovator in so many ways. Rest in peace saucer boy.

so glad i got to meet you, shane. i will remember this day forever. RIP on...