Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raccons living under deck - Trap or Kill?

So I have a couple of raccoons that have taken up shop underneath my deck. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with them, but I have a new puppy and I don't want her to have a surprise encounter with the coons when I let her out to do her business. I've contacted the city and they don't have any provisions for relocating or trapping the beasts and the private contractors I've contacted want over $150 per animal trapped to come out and take care of them.

I'd prefer not to kill them, but I'll do it if that's what it comes down to. I had the same problem last year (without the puppy) and tried everything to keep them away, but the bastards keep coming around. So, what's the best way to either keep them away for good, trap and relocate them, or just kill them?

Poisoning won't work because they'll just crawl back under the deck to die and nothing ruins a Sunday barbecue faster than the scent of rotting carcasses. Maybe Iceman and his maul are free this weekend?
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

Ammonia chases them out and

hot pepper sauce mixed with water squirted in their food supply will keep them away.

You should feed them! And, don't feed them poison!

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 03-25-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

I'm only going to say this once.

Get a badger...

Oooooohhhh yea, feed them a badger! Fresh meat and some cadio.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

i got yer badger, little Coonboy

Lightbulb 9 out of 10 icemen agree...

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Gold Jerry, pure gold!

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Trap then kill.
    Nasty little buggers.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    i got yer badger, little Coonboy
    Noice...

Kill and make hats.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I have had barbecued raccoon ...quite tasty..Have had deep fried muskrat...not so tasty

Buy a havahart,catch,release all coons in same location.Make sure its about 5 miles away and no one See's you "illegal in NY to relocate unless licensed"
    I put forth this question and the question is,
    When i did your mother twice last nite did I get sloppy seconds ?????

I like the ammonia/hot pepper spray idea. Make them not want to live there.

trapping or rather the relocation process could be dangerous (um rabies) and I don't really think a kill is justified.

There is a reason they keep picking your deck to live under, even if you kill, your deck will still be club med for raccoons. Turn it into something that more closely resembles Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    If you were in GA, I'd say trap and sell them for $40 each. Apparently they make for good stew'n.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensisnow View Post
    So I have a couple of raccoons that have taken up shop underneath my deck.......the bastards keep coming around. So, what's the best way to either keep them away for good, trap and relocate them, or just kill them?

Find out what their food source is and remove or eliminate it.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Watch your dog carefully. Your dog (even a full grown dog) will likely lose a fight with a racoon. At the very least, your pup will come away badly hurt. Happened to my neighbor's dog and that dog weighs about 80 pounds. It lost badly. Sorry, no pics...

...eseehc fo modgnik eht ni ssertrof reeb A
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wsguy View Post
    Find out what their food source is and remove or eliminate it.
    So... will all my neighbors be upset when I get rid of their garbage cans?

Seriously, maybe try spreading a bunch of moth balls under the deck? I know it's effective for squirrels, assume the coons wouldn't like it either?

Raccoons do just fine in woods (although they can have higher population densities in residential areas), so I suspect you'll have a hard time eliminating food sources. I suggest eliminating habitat, either by excluding them from that space or making it uninhabitable through ammonia, supersoakers, dogs, etc.

If you can figure out a way to put a giant nest of angry hornets down there the raccoons will go away.

flood the beasts outta there.

I'd think those have a heart cages are your best best but a caged coon make an absurd racket, you'll need earplugs, thick ass gloves to be on the safe side and a welding blanket
    Last edited by Blatant; 03-26-2009 at 09:09 AM.

doughboyshredder Guest
    forgive me for asking the obvious, but why haven't you sealed off the area under your deck, so they can't get down there?

raccoons spread a bunch of bad diseases to dogs. I would not want them living under my house with a new puppy. a dog sniffing raccoon saliva can spread "coon hound paralysis." you'll have to get rid of the coons. cant you call in a professional? I wouldnt use have a heart trap on a raccoon. They are vicious.
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

If you have a kid and have not done so already, now is the perfect time to buy him/her a .22 and teach them about gun safety. If you don't have a kid, now is the perfect time to get drunk and shoot things.

'coons are PURE FUCKING EVIL.

As suggested earlier:

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Of course you just need a little coyote on a stick or even wolf on a stick.

http://bordercrossingscents.com/inde...=index&cPath=9