Smile TR: Albert Heim Hut – Central Switzerland, March 2009

Albert Heim Hut 2543 m, Central Switzerland
    March 22 & 23, 2009
    Start in Realp at 1540 m
    Saturday crew (Chli Bielenhorn, 2940 m): Dave, Danski, Manu, Tom, Vale, Fabian, IridePow
    Sunday crew (Tiefenstock, 3515 m): Dave, Danski, Manu, IridePow

The weather forecast for this past weekend was bluebird for pretty much all of Switzerland. It was definitely time to put a quality weekend together. Several phone calls were made with some of the crew from www.backcountry.ch and last minute reservations at the Albert Heim hut for Saturday night arranged. The hut lays just a bit north east of the Furka pass at 2543 m.

Skin up starting from Realp

The hut (bottom right) lies in a beautiful setting in front of the Galenstock

Soaking in the sun at lunch break

What’s better than chocolate brownies and whipped cream at 2500 m above sea level?

Galenstock and Tiefenglacier seen directly from the terrace of the hut

Chli Bielenhorn on the left and the Gross Bielenhorn on the right. The goal of the leisurely Saturday afternoon tour.

Tom skinning up the valley

Fabian making his way up towards the Chli Bielenhorn

The panorama from the Chli Bielenhorn towards the south was great.

Even my small point and shoot camera recognized the Matterhorn

Back at the hut feeling a bit patriotic after just soaking in the great Swiss alps scenery

Evening light

The next day we felt ambitious for a higher summit. Unfortunately some clouds started moving in from time to time, but the sun came through still pretty good.

The winds were whipping on the upper parts of the Tiefenglacier, but Dave kept going strong.

The goal of the day: Tiefenstock 3515 m. We had to deposit the skis and splitboard at the bottom of the rock wall.

There is a fixed rope in the lowest section that makes things a bit easier. So we secured ourselves and made our way up.

After the fixed rope we had to climb/scramble for a bit more than 100 vertical meters up the steep and exposed face.
    The day before we talked with someone who was just up there and he told us it’s no problem; just bring the crampons. So only one of us brought the ice axe. The other three wished on some of the snow fields they would have had it also, but we managed to get through. But you needed some sure footing!

From the north Tiefensaddle it’s a relatively easy hike up the ridge for the last 200 vertical meters

On the ridge the clouds opened up very nicely and we could enjoy again great views

The north ridge up to the Galenstock. The Rhone glacier is just to the right off the picture.

Unfortunately right when we reached the summit the clouds moved in again, and you only could see for short distances. Here we are looking towards the Goescheneralpsee in the north east.

We still could see over to the Galenstock

Climbing route up from the ski depot to the saddle

Summit shot

On the way down we decided to rope up since a slip would have some serious consequences. Our 40 m rope was just long enough to get us through.

Manu on the upper third where we had a good snow field, and he just secured with the ice axe.

Dave on the lower half

Manu lowering himself down on the fixed rope on the lowest part

On the upper part of the Tiefenglacier we experienced some of the worst sastrugi I have ever ridden in my life. But lower down the bumps smoothed out a bit.

Manu the snowboarder not looking too shabby with skis either.

And about half way down we even could enjoy some nice wind buffed cream
    Last edited by IridePow; 03-25-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Right when we were down from the saddle the sun came out again in full force. Oh well… we can enjoy the panorama another time. It was not too bad from down here either. The group is loving life!

Always looking out for new goals (the north west face of Piz Lucendro)

After the ride down the glacier we made our way back to the hut and grabbed our stuff. From there another small hike paid off with a 1000 m ride down to Realp.
    Pic taken on the way down looking towards Andermatt.

It was definitely a memorable weekend with good friends in the mountains. We returned with smiles and sun-tanned faces back to the Unterland.

fabulous. do you have high resolution pics of this

and that

or anything else of east face of galenstock? i've been searching for those in mid winter for quite some time and havn't been lucky at all.

Good to see you around these parts again Iride. We've missed touring with you this season...but, I'm still hoping to make it over there next year.
    "You know what's rrrrreal good? Cheese, dipped in cheese." - Big Rodge.

nice tour! beats my day of pisten carven last weekend.

Nice pics there,Iride!
    It is allways amazing how little hut/trip reports you see here from euromags considering how peppered the alps are with them.
    I would imagine that the corn season will be awesome this spring around that bend...mmm...corn...

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    fabulous. do you have high resolution pics of this

or anything else of east face of galenstock? i've been searching for those in mid winter for quite some time and havn't been lucky at all.

You are jonesing for that couloir in the right hands side... Confess!! Confess!!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

very cool, thanks............................

Nice TR - cheers!

The climb after the ski depot look a little funky....
    I hate it when people say "yeah, its fine, just dont fall and you will be ok"....
    Last edited by Scottish_Skier; 03-26-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    I hate it when people say "yeah, its fine, just dont fall and you will be ok"....
    I like the comment attributed to a La Grave guide, "If you fall, you will arrive at zee bottom."

Very nice TR. Had a long weekend in that area at the end of last season and there is a lot of fun stuff round there.

Guess we're just coming into the hut season in Euroland so hopefully the TRs will start flowing. I'll certainly be posting one from Bernina in mid-May
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

super nice TR....really enjoyed it .....what a great weekend fro you guys...cheers

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    do you have high resolution pics of this or anything else of east face of galenstock? i've been searching for those in mid winter for quite some time and havn't been lucky at all.
    High resolution pictures can be found under
    http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...imHut-FullRes/

Good luck with your project!