Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Smokey McPole Guest
    Did Witherspoon ever tell you about the engine he designed that ran on water?

whoa, i say this dude early season at alta last year. had some contraption on his backpack and dynafit bindings.... good to see ya again buddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Looks like that fine point was made, in spades.
    Care to share how the meeting went?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

More proof that......

Utah=better than Colorado

hahaahahaahhaahha

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

whoa, i say this dude early season at alta last year. had some contraption on his backpack and dynafit bindings.... good to see ya again buddy!!
    Good to see you and your Alta buddies too! Glad your pen is going to get a little bigger eventually. Must suck being all bunched up like that all the time waiting for a dog to tell you where to go.

All of the speakers were well prepared and made good arguments but Andrew McLean, in particular, resolved any indifference about a lift on Flagstaff and instead I’ve decided to get involved in attempt to prevent the lift. The broad strokes:

1) Mr. Fitzgerald with UDOT says that a howitzer can be used when the recoilless rifle ammunition runs out.

2) Onno Wieringa says that Alta currently has no plans to put a lift in on Flagstaff.

3) Andrew McLean’s presentation on the potential impact of a lift on Flagstaff was eye opening… so much has been lost already. It’s not just one lift, it’s about what we want the Wasatch to look like 5, 10, 15, 50 years from now.

4) The corporate council from Black Diamond has dealt with these issues before in places like Squaw and it might not be prudent to trust point number two above. Either way, Black Diamond opposes and will oppose a lift up Flagstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    have to agree with ya
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

So when are ya gonna give me my SOC sticker, Dave?
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by ePiech View Post
    4) The corporate council from Black Diamond has dealt with these issues before in places like Squaw and it might not be prudent to trust point number two above. Either way, Black Diamond opposes and will oppose a lift up Flagstaff.
    I'm glad BD voiced their opinion. They are influential in the market and the community, and their opinion and support matters.

Flagstaff

Turnout at the meeting was off the hook.

Head UDOT forecaster at Alta, Liam Fitzgerald, said their plan is to replace the outdated recoilless artillery with a howitzer. They have the funding to replace the P-ridge gun. Basically, no lift is needed. All just a smokescreen for development.

Viva La Resistance!

Tonight's theme song for the Resistance: http://www.amazon.com/Politicians-In...8564569&sr=1-1

Here are the sound bytes from KUTV:

http://www.kutv.com/mediacenter/loca...rticleID=88293

(stupid commercial plays before news clip).

Fox 13 was also there but left early.

More tomorrow...

i wonder if there would be this much controversy if Alta received as much snow as, say, Keystone, Breck, or Vail.......

nah

hahahahahahahahahhaha

Bump for keeping Flag Lift free...

It was pretty clear to me that UDOT wants to keep their guns and is just fine with the idea of using a Howitzer. Onno tried to lure us all in by saying that with the growth of usage in LCC, a gun isn't safe, and eventually someone will get hit if we continue using one. He was soft selling the lift, even though he stated "we have no plans for a lift." I smell a rat.

To Onno's point of the gun not being safe, I ask "how many people have been hit by the recoilless rifle or shrapnel therefrom in the last 50 or so years that it's been used versus how many people have died off 9990 since the Canyons put a lift there?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch_Expat View Post
    he stated "we have no plans for a lift." I smell a rat.
    THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I have no dog in this fight. If there's a lift there's a lift. I'll ride it. If there isn't - well good. Less development is always a good thing.
    But here is my quesiton...to those opposed to the lift.
    Please tell me your personal reasons against it.
    Note- I don't want to hear your "arguement about why it's bad"...I want to know why you personally oppose it.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I have no dog in this fight. If there's a lift there's a lift. I'll ride it. If there isn't - well good. Less development is always a good thing.
    But here is my quesiton...to those opposed to the lift.
    Please tell me your personal reasons against it.
    Note- I don't want to hear your "arguement about why it's bad"...I want to know why you personally oppose it.
    thanks.
    With apologies for the blog:

To really understand this issue you have to understand the specific geography of the central Wasatch. A lift on Flagstaff would dramatically change backcountry access in this area. Aside from being great skiing under the right conditions, Flagstaff and the Emma ridge are gateways into even more remarkable terrain.

Since no uphill travel is allowed in Utah, Alta would essentially gain de facto control over much of the central Wasatch between BCC & LCC because even though there are many other possible routes, once an area becomes slack-country it loses much of its touring appeal. More importantly, it starts the ball rolling to even more development down the road.

The aesthetic issue of wilderness versus development as well as protecting SLCs’ watershed goes beyond inbounds skier versus BC skier. Andrew McLean used the example of The Canyons and the 9990 lift. If you’ve ever skied at The Canyons then you can immediately recognize that it’s all one giant real estate venture that amazingly has only just begun to be fully developed.

I’m not opposed to development per-se and I’m not a member of any environmental organizations, plus much of the terrain will never be developed, and I work as an engineer but I do believe in sustainability and that some areas—even if they are right next to a road—should remain off limits and open to all citizens rather than just paying customers.

Again, for someone who doesn’t know the geography, this can all seem like just a bunch of whining hippies losing their favorite stashes but I don’t believe it’s that simple in the case of a potential Flagstaff lift.

ePiech - What do you mean by 'no uphill travel is allowed in Utah'?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    ePiech - What do you mean by 'no uphill travel is allowed in Utah'?
    Someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in but most ski resorts in Utah do not allow uphill travel (which state law supports) on their runs. Kind of a moot point since skinning uphill in close proximity to alpine skiers doesn’t sound very safe or very fun but the door is closed either way.

epeich- I know the geography just fine.
    So your point is....that if the lift goes up they kill touring in the area (both served by the lift as alta terrain and beyond) because of no uphill traffic on ski area land rules?

"once an area becomes slack-country it loses much of its touring appeal."
    Seems like a personal choice to me- not sure if it is reasonable to use that as a reason.
    "Don't put this lift in because you will make these runs less fun for me and my friends."
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 04-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ePiech View Post
    Since no uphill travel is allowed in Utah, Alta would essentially gain de facto control over much of the central Wasatch between BCC & LCC because even though there are many other possible routes, once an area becomes slack-country it loses much of its touring appeal.
    To be fair, alta would only gain control of the north side of LCC. SInce there is no access back up from BCC, how can you say Alta would gain control of that? How many tourists skiers going in to Catherine's drop down in to AF canyon or down towards Heber? As for the other stuff about losing touring appeal, that's a personal choice value judgement.....
    Last edited by Lonnie; 04-01-2009 at 11:06 AM.

I see, you guys are worried that you will have to buy a ticket to access all the backcountry behind Flagstaff, since Utah law won't allow you to hike up 'inbounds' terrain?

Just wait til Brighton wants to put a lift up Wolverine...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Just wait til Brighton wants to put a lift up Wolverine...
    I'd use that lift.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Cause I don't want no damn gapers with camelbacks and powder cords
    skiing my precious pow
    Didn't make it to the meeting sounded fun
    Did hook up with a visiting mag Gimpy and his splitter buddy JT and extended some wasatch hospitility and showed them super secret stashes of Davenport, Keyhole/hideaway park, Bananna days and Days draw. They skinned up Grizz G.
    Stevo, Caleb and I went the gaper slackcountry route and rode a few lifts and traversed out.
    Not sure if that made us less core or if our turns were any less sweet but
    whatevs
    here is my soundtrack with more crappy helmet cam stoke not as entertaining as cry baby pics and whining/cunting but shit skied good and was damn fun
    Not a lot of peeps out must have been saving themselves for more important things

Thanks for the company, cocktail and keeping the never met a maggot I didn't like mantra going Gimpy
    Mums the word on those super secret stashes kay
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno