Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Trigger pulled

it would be sweet if Doug followed through with his promise from like nine weeks ago and sent me the new generation idler pulley. would like to at least try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    it would be sweet if Doug followed through with his promise from like nine weeks ago and sent me the new generation idler pulley. would like to at least try it out.
    Mail him about it again, seriously. I got a very fast reply, and he had a pulley on the way to me before the frame even got here - it showed up two days later.

Now I just need the damn rear hub parts - ought to be here Wed or Thu.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

do yourself a favor and rip off those stupid flanges on the aluminum pulley

if the chain gets anywhere near close to them, it will dig in immediately, and trash that pulley and possibly the bolt.

its pretty much a non issue for that chain to fall off of that pulley over that short of a span with as much tension as is on it

hope that POS idler works better for you than Dave.

and keep an eye out on that shock.
    dave's turned to doo (locked down ~1" of travel) and was then rebuilt and now has no damping

Thanks. Now if only the freakin' hub bits would show up. UPS tracking says Thursday. Damn.

I'm going to start with the Blackspire pulley I've got - no groove, little bit of flange on each side, bearings. The chain ends up moving across it as I shift, rather than the pulley moving laterally on the bolt/pivot. I'll see how long that lasts.

Then I've got the new idler Doug sent me - similar in nature to the above, but a half dozen little bearings, a hard noisy plastic, little divots for the chain to move across, crazy noisy.

The original toothed pulley I figure to carry in the pack with the spare hangers, zip ties, other crap I carry. Have it along as a spare, just in case. With a half dozen spare chain links.

I've also got a RS Monarch 4.2 HV shock to try with it. Not really "tuned" for the low leverage ratio, but I can try it. Also have a DHX Air around in the same size, so I can try them all to see how things feel.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    do yourself a favor and rip off those stupid flanges on the aluminum pulley

if the chain gets anywhere near close to them, it will dig in immediately, and trash that pulley and possibly the bolt.

its pretty much a non issue for that chain to fall off of that pulley over that short of a span with as much tension as is on it

hope that POS idler works better for you than Dave.

dave's turned to doo (locked down ~1" of travel) and was then rebuilt and now has no damping

As a guy who has owned/ridden a high pulley bike (I think I said that earlier in this thread) I believe the problem comes back to the diameter of the pulley.

If they'd go to a large diamter pulley it would even the load out a little bit and keep a lot of these problems from happening. However, this would cause the bike to pedal worse and I'm not sure you could fit one in this application....so I think this idea would require some major modification.

All I can think is they need to make a pulley out of something really hard....and I believe going to something of a roller as opposed to something with teeth makes a lot of sense.

With that in mind, I imagine there has got to be a high enough quality plastic out there that they could go to somthing like that too...(again, in roller design, not pulley)

Marshal is right in that this bike NEEDS to be run single ring to run right...which IMO isn't that big of a deal.

I'm primarily a single ringer out here in the east, so it ought to work fine...

As for another idler, I'm thinking a hard delrin bit. Something I may find roaming aorund some of the local hardware or auto supply places.

Will try the various pieces I have already to hand, and see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    As a guy who has owned/ridden a high pulley bike (I think I said that earlier in this thread) I believe the problem comes back to the diameter of the pulley.

If they'd go to a large diamter pulley it would even the load out a little bit and keep a lot of these problems from happening. However, this would cause the bike to pedal worse and I'm not sure you could fit one in this application....so I think this idea would require some major modification.

All I can think is they need to make a pulley out of something really hard....and I believe going to something of a roller as opposed to something with teeth makes a lot of sense.

With that in mind, I imagine there has got to be a high enough quality plastic out there that they could go to somthing like that too...(again, in roller design, not pulley)

Marshal is right in that this bike NEEDS to be run single ring to run right...which IMO isn't that big of a deal.

out of curiosity if for no other reason... please report back once you've worked with it a bit and let us know how it is riding/working for you...

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    the roco air piggyback has been a pretty reliable shock for me. Lived on my Uzzi for most of a summer, then got many many miles this year on my nomad2. A clicking sound recently developed, I sent it in to marz, and at no charge they serviced it & the noise is gone.

one of the better tahoe riders beat on his roco air at northstar regularly, w/ no issues.

frankly i'd rather run a roco air than a dhx air, in my experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    the roco air piggyback has been a pretty reliable shock for me. Lived on my Uzzi for most of a summer, then got many many miles this year on my nomad2. A clicking sound recently developed, I sent it in to marz, and at no charge they serviced it & the noise is gone.

one of the better tahoe riders beat on his roco air at northstar regularly, w/ no issues.

frankly i'd rather run a roco air than a dhx air, in my experience anyway.
    will try the stock for a bit, and see how it feels. i'm not a big constant tweaker of shock stuff. set it and forget it, unless it really feels like crap. example: the dhx air on my big bike feels great for me.

at least i've got the dhx air and the monarch - the same size - to try out as backups, or just for the hell of it to see how they get on with the 2:1 leverage. i suspect the monarch will fair better than the dhxa, as it is a large volume/low pressure design shock anyhow. not sure if the rebound cycle will be screwy or not though. only one way to find out!

brettf: will do. no hub part + dumping rain here right now means it won't get any pedal time until the weekend at the earliest. i think the single ring setup ought to work fine. now if i try to run dual rings, maybe not.