Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger pulled

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Here I was thinking that you powered your home on your incredulous sanctimony.
    I wouldn't have any left to spend in e-forums if I did that. And then where would I be?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    And then where would I be?
    Back where you always are, manning the deep fryer at the Missoula McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Back where you always are, manning the deep fryer at the Missoula McDonald's.

You mean Hardee's. And don't talk up my competition like that, it gets me pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    You mean Hardee's. And don't talk up my competition like that, it gets me pissed!
    Attention Uncle Crud, Hardee's is Carl's Jr. in Brahlorado.

Get with the program, yo.

Attention Uncle Crud, Hardee's is Carl's Jr. in Brahlorado.

Get with the program, yo.
    Shit, I can't keep up with that stuff. I have heard there's a fast food joint called Chick-Fil-A, but I still haven't ever seen one.

...I wrote it off as intermitten internet access at your Unabomber shed.
    Is an intermitten the middle layer of a glove/mitten/mitt cover setup?

I have had a decent opportunity to get a feel for the bike. There is definitely something to be learned coming from 29 inch wheels back to 26 inch wheels. The best part of the 29er is that it is stable. No matter the surface, terrain, sidehills, nothing. Having a larger contact patch really makes you feel a bit more comfortable. This does come with some costs--namely that the bike can feel slow. I have really had to get used to have a super nimble bike. Subtle motions I could make on the 29er will cause this bike to make a sudden movement. When I can fully capture the bike's nimbleness will I really be able to appreciate for what it is built.

The way I have the bike currently set up feels really good and even at about 32 lbs., it climbs very well. I am impressed in its ability to track both when I am seated and spinning and out of the saddle pushing something a bit steeper and more technical. The bike has a neutral feel when pedaling, which I really like. You get the feeling you are riding in the suspension rather than on the suspension.

The Marque's suspension is fabulous and I am thrilled with the ROCO Air. It feels plush, has a good progressive feel to it. Its balanced out nicely with the Pike, which I am really starting to love. Coming from a WB fork couldn't make the transition easier, but the Pike is impressively plush tracks well. A good tracking fork is key with bike because it loves to corner. I am having so much fun flying into chicanes, S-turns and switchbacks with a bit more vengance.

The idler pulley is a neat contraption but combined with the front der. have proven to be VERY VERY VERY finicky. It is going to take some time dialing all of this in, but on the ride today--the chain go stuck between idler pulley and the frame. This is probably the only weakness thus far.

I very excited about this bike.

edit to add: nice blog.
    Last edited by Rontele; 04-25-2009 at 06:44 PM.

I very excited about this bike.
    Sweet! That's all that really matters. Hopefully we can ride sometime during one of my regular visits down your way.

stiff spring go in ok?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    stiff spring go in ok?
    my guess is it's still in the package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    stiff spring go in ok?
    Crankset went on like a champ. We did not have the right wrench for the fork.

Fork rode well. I only preload into the travel a bunch when the terrain gets real steep.

I'll make Joe put in the new spring before we go riding tomorrow.

Partially hopping off the 29er bandwagon

Pulling all the parts off the Sultan and putting a Pike 426 with through axle on the front.

I'm kind of looking forward to having actual tire choices.

Anyone want to buy a Sultan and/or WB Fluid 135 fork?
    that bike looks like teh secks!! sweet rig broheim

Blew up the idler pulley today.

But that is the only negative in an otherwise amazing bike.

That's kind of a significant negative, no?

What happened? Do you think it is just a fluke or something likely to keep happening with the idler pulley?

BTW, I really like typing idler pulley.

Bummer about the pulley. Hopefully they made it easily serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Bummer about the pulley. Hopefully they made it easily serviceable.
    It does look like it is easily serviceable as it can be removed from the chainstay via two 5mm allen bolts. And yes, Cowdog, I think it is a significant problem.

I am curious to see what the folks at Corsair say. It is just going to require some further fine tuning of the front der. and maybe some frankenbiking another smaller guide onto it(?)

WTF happened exactly? That sucks.

rontele, if you have second thoughts, I think I've found your perfect bike, including ideal Doncos color scheme:

If life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemons and bail.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by brettf View Post
    WTF happened exactly? That sucks.
    Coming down Sandy Wash, you know that kind of fall away left turn that leads into the short burst over that large tree root. I hit the root and the chain popped off the pulley getting stuck somewhat on the pulley and between the chainstay. When this happened on Saturday, I only needed to kick back the pedal and it dislodged itself. However, this time around when I went to kick back on the pedal, I sheared off part of the metal flange that surrounds the pulley. Eventually, I got it back on (with Joe's help) and rallied the shit out of the bottom part of Sandy wash. By the time we reached the road, it was off the pulley again, but I could still pedal.

We should see if a MRP roller can fit in there. With some creative bench grinding they can be shaped into all sorts of fun chain holding shapes.
    D, have you found a Corsair fanboi site to check if its a common issue?

5spot? gmafb.
    i dont care how well any bike pedals, but i have no use for a 69* head angle with a 13.4bb
    if i want to be that 1996, ill ride my 1996 steel hardtail with a 67.5*HA and 13" bb

and xWhatever on the bummer

your idler breaking makes me concerned that theres some compliance somewhere in the main pivot or BB
    i would TRIPLE check all the pivots and QUADRUPLE check all the bolts\bearings\whatever on your BB\crazy rocker pivot.

the only way for the idler to break, assuming the pulley is mounted on the same pivot as the main pivot, is for there to be some compliance somewhere in the system, thus allowing the chain length to change between either the rear axle and main pivot or between the main pivot and the BB.

also, double check your rear dropouts are bolted snug to the chainstay

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    5spot? gmafb.
    i dont care how well any bike pedals, but i have no use for a 69* head angle with a 13.4bb
    if i want to be that 1996, ill ride my 1996 steel hardtail with a 67.5*HA and 13" bb

and xWhatever on the bummer

your idler breaking makes me concerned that theres some compliance somewhere in the main pivot or BB
    i would TRIPLE check all the pivots and QUADRUPLE check all the bolts\bearings\whatever on your BB\crazy rocker pivot.

the only way for the idler to break, assuming the pulley is mounted on the same pivot as the main pivot, is for there to be some compliance somewhere in the system.

also, double check your rear dropouts are bolted snug to the chainstay
    The bolts were all checked before riding. And it isn't the pulley itself that broke, but rather the metal flange that are intended to keep the chain aligned on the pulley.

J, there is an ongoing thread over on EmptyBeer re: the Marque. Some are running it with a MRP, which seems like a good way to go. Marshal was going to call the folks at Corsair to see about getting some extra pulleys and per our discussion, I'll likely bring the bike to your shop tomorrow to have you look it over closely to see if you notice anything.

Edit to add: I really think it is a front der. issue more than anything else. What cues me is that I haven't been able to run 32-34 without it being jammed (?). I'll be interested to see how this works out with more fine tuning and some insight from Corsair. I consider this an important issue, but really a small blip on the radar.

The bike is fucking sweet and I am very stoked on how well it rides.
    Last edited by Rontele; 04-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.

oh
    so theres a little guide on the pulley thingy?
    guess i need to look more closely at it next time.

and just because a bolt is snug, doesnt mean all the bearing are...and it doesnt mean they are dynamically when you are riding vs just on the shop floor. due to the complexity of the BB, and the problems youve had so far with cranks and such, a lot of possible warning lights go off in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    oh
    so theres a little guide on the pulley thingy?
    guess i need to look more closely at it next time.

and just because a bolt is snug, doesnt mean all the bearing are...and it doesnt mean they are dynamically when you are riding vs just on the shop floor. due to the complexity of the BB, and the problems youve had so far with cranks and such, a lot of possible warning lights go off in my head.
    I am having a hard time describing it, but think there is the pulley with the teeth in the middle and then two metal flanges circumnavigating the pulley to help keep the chain seated on the teeth. I broke the flange off one of those.

The new cranks are $$$, btw.