WTB: Expedition Pack

6000-7000 cu in for winter mountaineering. cheap is my favorite price. got lots of gear for trade too.

I have a Mountainsmith Frostfire III, 6000 cubic inches, about 15 years old, well loved, in perfect working order except that some of the waterproofing on the nylon is peeling back in one or two places. You should be able to rewaterproof if you want to. Pack fits me well at 5'11", fully adjustable for a range of sizes, very comfortable with a full load. Large floating top pocket, small pocket on the back that is semidetached (attached to the pack with the compression straps) that you can stuff a rope or shovel behind, mesh wand/waterbottle pockets at the bottom of the sides. The pack was light for its size to start with, I think I got it down to just over 5lbs by cutting off extra straps (such as the 5th strap attaching the top floating pocket to the rest of the pack and a luggage handle on the side of the pack.) Youi can expand capacity by attaching extra pockets to the compression straps - I have attached up to four, including a crampon pouch.

This pack has seen me through many adventures, but now it is just taking up space in my closet. Make me an offer via pm. If you are interested, I can post pictures.

I have an Osprey Crescent 85. You can check out details here:

http://www.fontanasports.com/products2.cfm/id/6325/

I think it's their best suspension system. For sure worth a look. Great shape. I can send pics if you'd like, shoot me a PM. Retails for $375. How about $175? Tons of options and configurations for the winter-expe-pack-junkshow.

I will let my Mountainsmith go for $45 shipped.

osprey's too small. i sure like the price of the mtn smith but am trying to figure out if i can get away with my old pack and a sled...

Sleds suck if your are using them where it is vaguely steep or rocky. Terrain you would motor through with skins becomes an epic with a sled. Talking from experience.......... Buy my MS, you won't be sorry.

I think I have a real big osprey pack somewheres that you might be able to use. Its over 6000, used one time? but not by me. Where you headed?