cable v directv (+directv in a mtn town)?

i haven't had anything other than my rabbit ears could pick up as far as TV service for a long time, as TV has never been a priority of mine.

that said, my wife is getting a little antsy, and we've got relatives/guests coming and going, so it seems the time is nigh.

our local cable option here in jackson hole is bresnan. seems like the want $20.99 for about 10 channels, $56.99 for "expanded basic"...and then $65 or $69 (can't recall) for the minimum to get digital/HD. (i've got a newish tv but have only really used it for movies.)

bresnan has been unable to tell me how much installation might cost. they are sending a tech out in 3-4 days.

on the other hand, directv seems to have attractive rates.

they've got a "choice" package for 50 channels @ $30, 150 channels at $35, 200 channels + movie channels at $40.... and at $45 you get dvr service. those rates are for the first 12 months. after that, they jump up by ~$20/month. i think directv makes you commit for 2 years. free installation.

i'm not sure how well service works in a mountain town/during storms. wind is an issue here, as are overcast skies and precip.

directv *seems* like the better deal. can anyone testify about the quality of their service? can anyone make a case for or against either one?

thanks.

EDIT: I typed my zip code in this tool, and DirecTV says "We don't currently offer local channels in your area." That could be a deal-breaker if true. Is this simply not accurate?
    Last edited by upallnight; 03-17-2009 at 07:17 PM.

I live in Tahoe and have DirecTV, and I like it a lot. Reception is not a problem, even when it's snowing. We get lots of movie channels, all the local channels, and it doesn't seem to cost very much (although we split our bill 4 ways among all the roommates).

I live in a windy place (60 mph consistently with occasional gust of 100 mph, usually in the winter) and directv works all the time. The only problem I've noticed is fog screws with the signal but snow and clouds don't seem to be a problem.

sounds like quality of the broadcast is fine even in bad weather.

am i S.O.L. as far as local stations? my wife wants to watch gossip girl on CW, so if we can't get that, directv's out, i'm afraid.

on their generic channel line-up, they list local channels. however, when i type my zip into their online tool, they say none are available. does that mean i can't get any wyoming or idaho versions of cbs, nbc, abc, etc?

thanks, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    sounds like quality of the broadcast is fine even in bad weather.

am i S.O.L. as far as local stations? my wife wants to watch gossip girl on CW, so if we can't get that, directv's out, i'm afraid.

on their generic channel line-up, they list local channels. however, when i type my zip into their online tool, they say none are available. does that mean i can't get any wyoming or idaho versions of cbs, nbc, abc, etc?

thanks, yo!
    With regards to the local channels just call them and confirm. I can't see a reason that you wouldn't get them but I'm sure they could come up with an additional charge or some bs.

Plus, you can just get the local channels off the air just like you were doing before. HD over the air is tits. Go DirectTV for sure.

DirecTV and locals: It depends on your market and if .com says no locals, then no locals will come through your actual DirecTV service. But you can route your antenna through your DirecTV receiver and watch the locals on their normal channels, no difference. The only downside that I can see for DirecTV is the commitment issue. But if you are OK with that....

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
    Plus, you can just get the local channels off
    the air just like you were doing before. HD over the air is tits. Go
    DirectTV for sure.
    I live in a rural area that doesn't have the cable option, so I've had
    DirectTV for several years. Generally, everyone's giving you good
    information regarding DirectTV.

You will have occasional bad weather intervals when snow and really
    heavy downpours will interfere with your signal, and it's worse if you
    don't have a really strong signal to start with. Wind will not be an
    issue.

As for locals, as you've been told, your best plan is to get them
    off-air anyway. Even if you're not looking for HD programming, it's
    kind of nice to get the Dolby digital audio that comes with the
    digital local off-air stations. If you've used rabbit ears up until
    now, then
    [url=http://reviews.cnet.com/a-v-antennas/silver-sensor-digital-hdtv/4505-6509_7-30471331.html]this[\url]
    should work great for you inside your house.

One thing to look out for if you go the DVR route, which I've done,
    and I highly recommend it if for no other reason than you'll have
    programming available in bad weather times: Make sure you get a
    receiver with a tuner; some of them don't.

Good luck,
    john

Nobody's mentioned that you have to be able to see DirectTV's satellites. Given your location find the bearing and azimuth and make sure there's no trees or mountains in the way. Pick a good place for the dish since the installer will do what's convenient for him, not you.

And buy a receiver with a PVR. You won't regret it.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I recently subscribed to direcTV. I shopped out Dish, Cable and also needed phone service and internet. The bundle I got with Direct was the cheapest by about $20.00 a month. They had a promotion with a free HD DVR which I highly recommend! Make sure you register for the rebate for $18.00 off per month for the first year within the 60 day window!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I'll take the minority approach here. Cable for the win.

Honestly, despite the above, I have never been around a Direct TV system in bad weather that keeps perfect reception. And since, bad weather (at least in the summer) is when one would want to be watching TV, it is simply unacceptable. Also I watch a fuck ton of sports, and missing bits and pieces due to reception, also unacceptable, the only beef I have with cable is no NFL package for watching the GMEN.

But I'm sure that won't be far off, it can only mean more money for the NFL if it sells out to Cable and DirectTV. (edit....DirectTV just extended exclusive rights until 2014) oh well, the Giants are big time, they have plenty of games on National TV, get to watch about 7 from home anyway, the rest, I support the local bar.

I just like having cable, never have to worry about some dish b.s But like someone said, some rural places cannot even get cable so.
    Last edited by volklpowdermaniac; 03-26-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Here's an option out of the left field- do you have a DSL connection that comes into your house with a wire (as in non-wireless)? We get our TV through the phone company, which is Silverstar over in Teton Valley. It gets CBS for the NCAA bball games, and is never down from the weather. Worth checking.

And I thought you were going to AK?

If you go with directv, I believe I still have an extra cable box thing that you can have. Its not DVR, just an extra box for another room/tv. Remote too! Let me know and I can check if its still around.
    Decisions Decisions

DirecTV will give him up to 5 receivers/remotes free* (need to have an actual TV present for each at time of installation).

*$5 per additional mirrored receiver per month charge for service, I believe