Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    BSS Guest

So, this guy who drives all over the place by motorcycle with his dog in the sidecar

has a pretty cool site with some pretty remarkable photography if you're into that kind of thing. He's kind of a foodie too. If you've ever wanted to go there, chances are he's blogged about it. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

my dad drives his 87 bimmer with his great dane in the sidecar nearly every day to work, weather permitting. Norton (dog) will only ride facing backwards, and unrelated will only eat french fries with ketchup.

Ara, really really nice guy.. I love tuning in every couple weeks or months to see what's going on... Also if you have some spare cash and want to feed the habit I know donations go a long way for him... Hell of a guy, and hell of a motivation. Not sure if you caught that...
    Andre Shoumatoff - Park City UT

Makes me question why the hell I'm working 9-5

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Makes me question why the hell I'm working 9-5
    I cannot answer your self adressed question. I just do not wish on anyone my reason for being on the road...

Thanks BSS and DieselCruiserHead... hoping to see you soon...

Be well...

I know it has been over 2000 nights and days on the roads and off!

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerchef View Post
    I cannot answer your self adressed question. I just do not wish on anyone my reason for being on the road...

Thanks BSS and DieselCruiserHead... hoping to see you soon...

Be well...

very cool site! and, welcome, JONG.

I can't wait to have an occasion to try your grand marnier bread pudding recipe. in fact, that ENTIRE "holiday meal" looks freaking incredible!! But there are no holidays coming up! hmmm...Maybe I'll surprise the nerd with a "decadence for no reason" dinner sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    very cool site! and, welcome, JONG.

I can't wait to have an occasion to try your grand marnier bread pudding recipe. in fact, that ENTIRE "holiday meal" looks freaking incredible!! But there are no holidays coming up! hmmm...Maybe I'll surprise the nerd with a "decadence for no reason" dinner sometime soon
    No need for Holidays to create!!! Life is a Holiday every day... right? Not a rehearsal! That is for sure, live it to the max... we might not get a chance to do this over...
    If ever our path crosses I would be more than happy to lay out the foundation and built such meals...
    Thanks and be well...

That is awesome!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Hi Ara,
    You are just wonderful... Look, you an even wider audience now, of skiers!

I was just going through your blog Ara, look for some awesome pictures... Here are some of my favorites so far, and I haven't even gotten to 2008 yet!

More...

Beautiful man!! A little donation coming your way.

Thread of the month, for sure.

Welcome... Beemerchef = insta-maggot. If you ever find yourself on 395, point it on up North to Reno. I've got a pair of skis for you to borrow, and I'll sponsor you for a day at Mt. Rose. Plus, a good enduro/x-country motorcycle buddy of mine would probably want to say hey...

Keep the rubber to the road...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

No need for Holidays to create!!! Life is a Holiday every day... right? Not a rehearsal! That is for sure, live it to the max... we might not get a chance to do this over...
    If ever our path crosses I would be more than happy to lay out the foundation and built such meals...
    Thanks and be well...
    true! I think I'm going to make the whole meal in three weeks as a celebration of finishing EMT school & passing my NREMT. any SF mags want to come over for a big "holiday for no reason" dinner let me know

Beemerchef, certainly let us know if you find yourself passing through San Francisco! We have a small apartment but you and Spirit would be more than welcome on the couch. I'm sure Spirit would get along with our guy, Linus, who recently did two months on the road in our own cross-country adventure.

I am dying to get back out and see some of the northern states we missed on our adventure (montana, wyoming, idaho) sometime soon.

Hey Linus... wanna play??? You are just too cool... might even arrange a ride with us...

Black Gap WMA… Texas
    The old saying “It is the Journey and not the destination” applies so well here, and yet, the destination is also one we will return to, as getting caught a bit too short throughout the day. Too much chatting… People met are becoming an important facet of our perpetual unmarked and unplanned route. Peaceful and Friendly souls appear as we suddenly realize what makes our World go around. It is “people” value as I know and always think we cannot buy, lease it or rent it!
    That was the case when we stopped in “Stillwell” before getting into the Wilderness area of Black Gap, 100,000 plus acres of desolate and raw space, that day without a soul around.
    The SAT phone has become my assurance throughout these isolated parts we adventure ourselves on. As much as I love my buddy Spirit, well… he has never lifted a paw yet toward any kind of bailing out situations… mentally yes, physically? No…
    We have also been approved to be sponsored by SPOT, which is great news and a window should be up in a few weeks for “in real live time” tracking from the site… that is only when I have it on!!!
    This adventure begins on the Blog…Be well…

Welcome Chef. Cool stuff you have going on. Boquillas is in the middle of nowehere, but I suppose that was the point. Keep sharing here.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Welcome Chef. Cool stuff you have going on. Boquillas is in the middle of nowehere, but I suppose that was the point. Keep sharing here.
    We like it "in the middle of nowhere"... it lets "my" in touch with "self" quite often... Will be headed north soon with a loop to the Texas Country Hills...

Be well... and by the way Boquillas is a very sad story since the border is closed. Children in school from a town 15 minutes away but now needing an 8 hour drive through some bad dirt roads...

Very cool.
    I used to tour a lot on a 550 Kawasucky. Always had a blast. Wish I was on the road with you now.

So I wanted to post on the thread to keep up with your travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

I like the "Kawasucky" part!!! So were are you?... the roads are open now... what is the hold up?...
    Thanks...

I like the "Kawasucky" part!!! So were are you?... the roads are open now... what is the hold up?...
    Thanks...
    It was actually a great little GPz 550 that I rode the hell out of. And not afraid of dirt roads. Did a few trips to Ca and an October trip to Alberta for a couple of weeks.
    I am Idaho now. Waiting for spring. Moved on to snowboarding and rafting/kayaking. Got married, 2 beautiful daughters and a mortgage that I am barely keeping at bay. I love my family, but I do miss the days when I lived in an actual walk in closet and could go jump on my bike and be gone for two weeks on about $50.

Just an undercover dirt bag that is missing the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    It was actually a great little GPz 550 that I rode the hell out of. And not afraid of dirt roads. Did a few trips to Ca and an October trip to Alberta for a couple of weeks.
    I am Idaho now. Waiting for spring. Moved on to snowboarding and rafting/kayaking. Got married, 2 beautiful daughters and a mortgage that I am barely keeping at bay. I love my family, but I do miss the days when I lived in an actual walk in closet and could go jump on my bike and be gone for two weeks on about $50.

Just an undercover dirt bag that is missing the road.
    We will always miss the other side of the coin we have experienced... Live for the moment and today give an extra hug from me to your kids... I miss my son, only child and buddy I had, within every moment. Live for the moment "now" and you will be fine...

Be well...

The end of the Black Gap WMA saga… Texas
    It has been Texas for a while now, I think we are due for another State very soon. The afternoon heat is making it’s way in this Desert and I can hear the Red Rocks of Utah calling us. I feel summer written all over the place, in the sky and on the ground, it won’t be long.
    In the meantime discovering the Black Gap WMA area was well worth the ride and more, including a little “get off the road” riding a bit too fast, practicing as I like to call it. Without a moon out when a curve is hidden beyond a hilly road, sometimes it is a bit too late. We shall return as there is also a paved road leading to the Rio Grande we have not taken yet.
    It is time to sort everything out. What goes and what stays, a couple Dr’s appointments, the final ones. I will be free again to not look back… only missing this space and the center of my own Universe, this Fire Ring so dear to me, this space where I can meditate, cook and entertain the few that have stopped by to meet us.
    The rest of the story and… fish heads hanging in a shack (???) is on the Blog.
    Be well… Ara & Spirit

My own reality check… Texas

Maybe too sheltered? Maybe not enough outside “news”? I even forget to check on the weather at times. We live on the road, we travel, we seek for adventures, new Friends are always on the horizon. “Mother Nature” and “Spirit” are my faithful companions. For that matter “Old Faithful” also which just turned 200 this morning! And yet, new survival aspects make their ways into our lives. Comments are written, some are bad news, some are OK news and some I cannot even think about. They should make me pack up and change planet.
    I see all as a pleasant challenge, a “good one” I think as our prize is beyond any fortune one could really afford. It is here and there, it is really “free” and it is not going away. We will find ways to keep company always as it really does not take much, just one to strike away the fear of the fear.
    I write about Spirit on my Blog today… I say that he is in all reality the true Leader if there was ever one amongst him and I.
    Closer and closer we will be on these grounds that are always welcoming us, no matter what…
    Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

There is a guy in our town who is always on a motorpickle with his airedale terrier in the sidecar. i don't remember the make, but it's green- like a british racing green. the airedale always looks happy. They drive around all winter and summer. I'm always happy to see them around town.

Glad to hear that there are others. Spirit's goggles and helmet are great!

Yes, we are not the only ones. There use to be like a forum for us... it is gone now!

Ardys… 77, riding and having “fun”, Texas

I always thought that as the years flew by us, inconveniently often enough for my taste, that one slows down, specially when it involves a physical activity such as motorcycle riding where the senses need that demanding sharpness.
    I had heard of Ardys for a while now, some riders are legends it seems like, and it has been a pleasure to finally make her acquaintance yesterday. (maybe it was the day before! We have both in common some forgetfulness!!!).
    It reminded me that there is such a word as “fun”, real fun… often maybe I forget while being in deep thoughts within this beautiful environment we are provided with. Ardys has fun. I watch Spirit play, he has much fun no doubt, so I think it is due time that I have also some more “fun” in a bit more conscience ways.
    We had a nice dinner last night around my Center of the Universe, much grilling and much smoke. Sometimes the “adventures” and good times come to us! We don’t have to go anywhere…
    Be well… always. Ara & Spirit… with a nice new bone!

The greatest loop… Texas

That is what I call this route when leaving from near by Terlingua headed north to Alpine, west to Marfa, drop down through Pinto Canyon, back eastbound to Presidio, finally arriving where we started from.
    The weather was incredible, not so today, as the ultimate would have been to spend a night or two at the Chinati Hot Springs with much more leisurely time to explore the area.
    It is a very isolated space, the road can be a bit tricky and always advise to ride it from north to south. I actually don’t think we would have made it the other way.
    Company is always good, specially in the case of an unpleasant scenario, help could take for ever to get there if communication is not available. It has been a real peace of mind having SPOT track us and also the SAT phone available just in case.
    Of course with Spirit around why should I need help? Wrong… Great co-pilot but his help stays limited to the mental attitude, sometimes really the most important one.
    More on the blog…
    Be well… Ara & Spirit