Thread: Kayaking

Kayaking

So I'm a bigger guy and I want a boat that I can run smaller rivers in I probably wont be doing any hardcore white water more like fishing trips on small streams so I need to be able to store some gear in it. I want a boat that's not very tippy because I'm petrified of rolling (even though I'll practice a lot) any recomendations fr boats to look at and how to get started in what looks like a kick ass sport?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

if you aren't concerned with playboating then I would go with an older creekboat or river runner. It'll be cheaper and a bit roomier. I would definately reccomend spending some cash on re-outfitting an older boat if you go that route...newer outfitting is lightyears ahead of outfitting from even 4 years ago. I'd go with something like the Perception Madness, 3D, Dagger GT, Wavesport Y, Z or X... try the boatertalk.com gear swaps or hit up any of your local boat shops to see if you can pick up a demo boat or something.

There are local boatshops we have REI thanks for the info I'll look into boattalk.com

Talking

I think an Overflow X would be perfect for you AKPM

the local whitewater shop is on barrow between northern lights and fireweed its called alaska kayak and is owned by a nice guy named george, george also likes to do fun stuff like kiteboard and stuff. maybe if you like fun stuff than you should go to that shop and buy something so george has more money to buy stuff to do fun stuff with.

I'd say a Dagger RPM or RPM max would be a perfect boat
    They are big enough, stable, and great for running rivers. They are the all around best boat available for anyone... PERIOD. It is the best selling boat EVER, and they are everywhere, you could pick one up real cheap just about anywhere.
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

I agree with urban kayaker about Dagger's RPM or the RPM MAX they are both great boats and I paddled a RPM about 7 years ago.You may also want to consider a sit-on top kayak if you are going to do alot of fishing out of it they are very easy to get around in and to gain access to your gear.Dagger and Perception both make them.Also Boater talk.com under gear swap is and excellent place to find one.Just trying to help.Thanks Mr. Stinky
    That which doesn't kill us,only makes us stronger!

I've got a red Dagger RPM I'll sell you for $300 plus shipping...
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Originally posted by BakerBoy
    Let me get a job first and I'll get back to you

AKturnanburn, thanks I'll check that place out some time I gotta buy a bunch of NRS straps for various jurry rigged items

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    That's the same model that I learned in. Nice boat, plenty roomy too.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

you dont need a kayak

the watermaster is designed exactly for what you are talking about. lighter than a kayak, inflatable so it can be easily packed in. designed for fishing can handle small creeks and bigger rivers. There is a seat, but no floor, you can just stand up and fish and the boat stays right there with you.

the drawback? $1500 min to get started.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

when i went up to alaska this summer i did a trip with a one man raft that you can take all sorts of places, it doesnt weigh much, the price is $500. They dont take up much room, easy to pack, light, can have gear with it and can go through class 3 rivers.. and is possible to float 4 maybe 5 depending on how experianced you are. the name is an Alpacka Raft. They are sweet for traverses and 2 or 3 day trips.

Necky Jive or Jive 8'10" if you're a real big boy. Many river outfits use them as lesson boats and sell em for cheap. It is a very easy boat to roll, which you will be capsizing a lot if you plan on fighting fish in it. I would also reccomend a canoe if you're storing tons of gear. Oh, and it really doesn't take that much extra effort to use punctuation...

So I'm a bigger guy and I want a boat that I can run smaller rivers in. I probably won't be doing any hardcore white water, more like fishing trips on small streams so I need to be able to store some gear in it. I want a boat that's not very tippy because I'm petrified of rolling (even though I'll practice a lot.) Any recomendations fr boats to look at and how to get started in what looks like a kick ass sport?
    You look like I need a drink.

mmmm dagger
    you got the hippie smell