Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Armada ARV (185) opinions

Has anybody skied the 185 ARVs? Quite a few people have them on newschoolers.com, but getting a decent review from there is next to impossible. I would think that more guys in this forum would like the ARVs as I've heard they are stiffer than many similar skis (PRs, Mo'ships, Pistols, Gotamas, etc.). Perhaps the fact that ARMADA is so new to manufacturing skis is why many of the core skiers on this forum have not tried them.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate a good, comprehensive review from any of you that have skied the 185 ARV (i.e. impressions of sidecut, stiffness/stability, durability, p-tex sidewalls, and overall performance highlights.

thanks

already did a search - Armada ARVs have been mentioned plenty of times in non-related threads, but no detailed info exists.

this is definitely a sign that I hang around here too much.....but I honestly don't think anyone here has ever put up a thorough review of Armada's here. (same goes for 4frnts now that I think about it). I don't know of any 'regulars' that post here that have them.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

My buddy rides them. So this is all second hand info. Construction wise they are bomber. They are medium-high on the stiffness spectrum. He used to ride scratch BC's and the ARV's are much more difficult to turn. He has grown to like them a lot more than the scratches.

looks like darkside has a pair if you check out the quiver thread. PM that fool.

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    this is definitely a sign that I hang around here too much.....but I honestly don't think anyone here has ever put up a thorough review of Armada's here. (same goes for 4frnts now that I think about it). I don't know of any 'regulars' that post here that have them.
    Bullet and I will be riding on the 4FRNT MSP 187s this season so I'm sure we'll post a review once the snow starts falling

Just the man I was thinkin of....

thanks for the info - will try to PM darkside....

looking forward to future reviews on the 187 MSP

Last year I saw a few guys on ARVs pushing them to the max - they appeared to be very stable, powerful and fast - the fact that a lot of skiers on this site don't ride them may be a red flag though - there's no way I'll be throwing $500 - 600 bones for them, but a used pair at the right price could make for a nice all-mtn twin.

later

As last years Powder ski guide said "The ARV is Armada's tool for everything soft in skiing. The 92mm waist along with triaxial-wrapped aspen/ash core provides a wide, rigid platform to float or bust through any condition. Twin-tip design is necessary for landing switch in pow and is handy for slipping backwards in tight terrain. Icing on the cake? Hot pink."

Hope that helps some, thats what they had to say. BTW the 175 is yellow and not hot pink if you were looking at the smaller size.

Ted

Originally posted by Theodore
    As last years Powder ski guide said "The ARV is Armada's tool for everything soft in skiing. The 92mm waist along with triaxial-wrapped aspen/ash core provides a wide, rigid platform to float or bust through any condition. Twin-tip design is necessary for landing switch in pow and is handy for slipping backwards in tight terrain. Icing on the cake? Hot pink."

Hope that helps some, thats what they had to say. BTW the 175 is yellow and not hot pink if you were looking at the smaller size.

Ted
    I wrote that, and I must say I felt proud to have it quoted here. Thanks. My actual opinion of the ski is not so high. For a strong skier they will work really good, but they are basically tanks, so keep em in the pow and crud. They don't carve too well on hardpack in comparison to a pocket rocket, which is almost the exact same footprint. Personnally, i would opt for a Gotoma or 4frnt over this ski. But last year's hot pink was one of my favorite graphics.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Originally posted by bossass
    I wrote that, and I must say I felt proud to have it quoted here. Thanks. My actual opinion of the ski is not so high. For a strong skier they will work really good, but they are basically tanks, so keep em in the pow and crud. They don't carve too well on hardpack in comparison to a pocket rocket, which is almost the exact same footprint. Personnally, i would opt for a Gotoma or 4frnt over this ski. But last year's hot pink was one of my favorite graphics.
    So you lied in a ski review...my faith in ski mag reviews is shattered. I thought they were independent and unbiased, no?

From what many have said, sounds like the 4frnt MSP may be a better all around ski.

I've been on Pocket Rockets, and despite the utter distaste for them by so many, they are great "do everything" skis. They float in pow and push through crud well enough, carve trenches in the groomed, hold their own at high speeds, perform nice in the park, are very lightweight, and even ski great in occasional moguls. In my opinion, very few skis are as well-rounded as the PRs, notwithstanding their softness.

However, a more powerful ski would be nice (like my 195cm dynastar flame BIGS), but with a full twin tip. The Gotama has nice dimensions and enormous tips and tails, just too soft for anything but powder and soft crud - and not quite enough side-cut. I have never seen another ski constructed so bomb-proof (except explosivs) as the BIGS. Even though the BroModel the maggots designed looks like a very sweet ride, I would never buy it because it doesn't have a full twin.

Looking forward to upcoming reviews on the 4frnt MSP

Thanks again for the info

Originally posted by nOrth_shOre
    From what many have said, sounds like the 4frnt MSP may be a better all around ski.

I've been on Pocket Rockets, and despite the utter distaste for them by so many, they are great "do everything" skis. They float in pow and push through crud well enough, carve trenches in the groomed, hold their own at high speeds, perform nice in the park, are very lightweight, and even ski great in occasional moguls. In my opinion, very few skis are as well-rounded as the PRs, notwithstanding their softness.

However, a more powerful ski would be nice (like my 195cm dynastar flame BIGS), but with a full twin tip. The Gotama has nice dimensions and enormous tips and tails, just too soft for anything but powder and soft crud - and not quite enough side-cut. I have never seen another ski constructed so bomb-proof (except explosivs) as the BIGS. Even though the BroModel the maggots designed looks like a very sweet ride, I would never buy it because it doesn't have a full twin.

Looking forward to upcoming reviews on the 4frnt MSP

Thanks again for the info
    You might want to take a look at the 04/05 Line Mothership Titainium in 192. They are 1/2 twin, siff/stable enough, and turn easy.

Here they are next to the prophet, which makes them look way skinny:

What's up with the spaceframe-ish construction on the prophets?

Originally posted by optics
    What's up with the spaceframe-ish construction on the prophets?
    My guess would be to reduce the swing weight/overall weight of having a snowboard on each foot.

prophets can be gotten for mad cheap, dawg.

Originally posted by ulty_guy
    prophets can be gotten for mad cheap, dawg.
    No, no, no, you can't use the letter C in a post that talks about the prophets!!!

My shop was thinking of carrying them but we heard from other shops that carry Armada that last years models fall apart. A buddy of mine told me they had to warranty almost every pair at his shop in Minnesota (which could be from delams caused by bad landings in cold, icy Minnesota parks). This year Armada is being pressed by Elan so construction should be better, the Julien Regner (sp???) looks flippin sweet.

last years skis had a lot of problems that are definately fixed in this years skis.

as far as stiffness goes for the ARVs, think 2 or 3 steps below a gotama or (perhaps a little more accurate for me) 1 or 2 steps above a public enemy. construction this year is the same as last, but i think they tweaked a couple things to make them hold up a lot better. the topsheet edges are rounded so there's little to no chance of topsheet chipping there.

i've flexed them the past couple times i've swung over to armada and they just look and feel really solid. they feel a little stiffer than last years model, but overall i think they'll be a good bet this year (i'm definately getting a pair when they hit stores).
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

...07' was kinda soft...ala Jakamo's

Got to flex an 07', very soft...but looking at website ad for 08's...is advertised as being stiffened for this year....? (If store features good return policy, might just go ahead, has to be more fun ski than some of major manuf's EC skis)....
    *4FRNT MSP: sounds like a sweet ski

I bought a pair of 06 Arvs really cheap on Ebay last fall. Figured I'd mount 'em up with Freerides for mellow meadow-skipping. They are the wimpiest ski I've ever skied. My other skis are Sanouks, 193 Monster 103s and 190 CMH Explosivs, so maybe I was expecting too much but the ARVs are super nervous when pushed beyond, say, 25mph. They are anything but stable. They feel really short, too. The 185 feels like what I'd imagine a 170 would ski like.

i saw a kid on a couple years old arvs at jay this year doing a nosepress waiting for the tram. they looked like noodles, but that may have been just been the old model, proly not wear and tear.

this thread has inspired me to finally write my msp review.
    Last edited by lax; 08-01-2007 at 05:22 PM.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    There have been several reviews for the 193 EHPs (including one overly in depth one by myself), and ANTs are possibly one of the most discussed ski on here. other than that though...

As for the ARVs, they're ok. Pretty versatile, soft, so they're easy to handle in pretty much anything, yet still really fucking damp (given their flex) so they're more stable than you'd think. I'd think that if you're looking for something to fill the niche of park ski, and that of all mountain ski for when the conditions suck, with one ski, it might be a good option, provided you aren't a big guy, and maybe prefer tight spaces or gracefulness/steezyness over just pure high speed stuff.

EDIT: I hand flexed some 175s after I got rid of my 185s, and they felt way softer than I remembered. Anyone know if the flex varries between length?

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    There have been several reviews for the 193 EHPs (including one overly in depth one by myself), and ANTs are possibly one of the most discussed ski on here. other than that though...
    Sometimes it really helps to read the fine print.
    eating and sleeping is serious business